Bad poetry you're hiding from us...

WickedEve said:
OH, what a sweet looking cow. I have the perfect place to put him. (now what did I do with that hamburger bun?)

do you want fries with that?

Re: Re: They

Sorry to disappoint you Stargirl32 :)

stargirl32 said:

umm not as bad as soom zhuk , i can see what you were trying to say ,,.

eve , a present ,, she needs a good home ,

animo21.gif

Dodo?

WickedEve

You are breaking my heart, I thought Dodo was the best part. :)

Zhuk

WickedEve said:
OH, what a sweet looking cow. I have the perfect place to put him. (now what did I do with that hamburger bun?)

Zhuk, I thought the poem was fine... except for the dodo. lol

stargirl32 said:

do you want fries with that?
No, I don't want anything distracting me from the sweet (tasty) cow gift you gave me. :D

Re: Stargirl Sweetie?

Angeline said:
I pledge to look--and this will be painful--through some of my poems this weekend and post something really embarrassing.
I don't want to spoil everybody's fun. If wicked fun :) is so important to you, go on.

So, just in case, let me mention that poetically wise participants of this thread, especially the active ones, who provide material, harm themselves. It is exactly as in sports. One could say that it is instructive and fun to make all kind of wrong moves, unstylish, in ping-pong or swimming or in any sport. But all it does is to enforce wrong reflexes, wrong habits. It does something bad to one's brain. More fun, and harder, is to learn a pure style. And that's what one's brain should be preoccupied with.

In this context, you may read my poem (to avoid a silly misunderstanding: no, it's a good poem--I mean only the context of what I said about your actions affecting your brain):

your lips

Best regards,

I see nothing wrong with looking back at bad poetry. Many of us have grown since we've been here. Yes, I know that's hard for you to believe, senna. Now many of us can see mistakes we've made. We've learned enough to know why our poem was "bad." Perhaps, new poets to the board that are just starting to write will look at a poem here and realize they are making the same mistake.

I think of greater danger is losing your sense of humor about your mistakes.

In sports, athletes look at video of their mistakes over and over so that they don't make them in the future. Part of the learning process (and the desire to improve) is rooted in humiliation by one's teammates.

Besides, fun with Wicked is sooooooo important.

Senna, we all need a break sometimes, no?

and doesn't the fact that we are placing this stuff in the context of bad poetry show we have an inkling of the difference?

besides, if I can articulate what is bad about something I wrote,
i think that can be instructive in terms of what to avoid

Re: Senna, we all need a break sometimes, no?

Angeline said:
and doesn't the fact that we are placing this stuff in the context of bad poetry show we have an inkling of the difference?

besides, if I can articulate what is bad about something I wrote,
i think that can be instructive in terms of what to avoid
If you feel that it is good entertaining and it's worthy, go for it.

I don't feel that it's good, that it's healthy. This thread looks like people are trying to say: even if this poem is so horribly bad there is something in it... etc.

I don't think there is any more instructive value in looking at poor poems than in watching wrong ways to perform a gimnastic exercise.

I am not intolerant. Please, don't pay any attention to me. I am just participating in a discussion board (and I never want to turn it into a hammersion :)).

For my entertainment I much prefer anything but poorly written poems. Instruction wise and pleasure wise the time can be spent reading great poetry, great critique, or even hilarious jokes and stories... wasting time on poor poems is to me a bit sick. Let me be blunt: one does not need to eat shit to appreciate a good meal and wine and roses.

Also, in a lot of poetry on high level there are more than enough of weaknesses to sharpen your critical edge. Poor texts will only dull it. It's better to learn positively anyway. That's why one can learn from comments on his/her own poems only so much. If you learn positive things then wrong ways won't even occur to you, would feel wrong. But when one is used to them one excuses them or can't even see them.

One has to practise what to do, not what not to do.

Best regards,

Positive reinforcement is better

i agree with that, but to me this is just fun--maybe i see it as the equivalent of a hilarious joke.

and i don't think you are being intolerent--i think you are expressing your opinion. :)

S.J. wrote:
wasting time on poor poems is to me a bit sick. Let me be blunt: one does not need to eat shit to appreciate a good meal and wine and roses.

That may be true, but if all one eats is "shit"; or "a good meal and wine and roses", how can one differentiate?

Regards,                       Rybka

This poem really belongs here

Here comes old SJ
Having a bad day
Stumbles onto this thread
Scratches his big head
Thinks it's a bit sick
Reacts too quick
Lookin' for good meals at lit
Takes a bite of this shit

Thank you for the inspiration, SJ. You are the wind between my cheeks. :heart:

karmadog said:
I think of greater danger is losing your sense of humor about your mistakes.
That's a non sequitur.

But it brings a memory. In my dream I made up such a bad poem that I was laughing my head off in my dream so hard that I was waking up. Then it was coming back and laughing, etc.
In sports, athletes look at video of their mistakes over and over so that they don't make them in the future. Part of the learning process (and the desire to improve) is rooted in humiliation by one's teammates.
You are talking about watching top athletes taped or at least top performances of any given athletes. Yes, one can learn from mistakes of the best poems, and from mistakes in your own BEST poems, and that's way more efficient than "learning" from your worse poems. We have to analyze our own writing intensively during the process anyway.

Also, I see it here, and I saw it in the past, that authors on such occasions are far from feeling humiliated, they enjoy their productions, they enjoy the public attention. BTW, most of the poems from Literotica, in particular from those voted at 4+ level en mass (top 100) should be really placed in this thread. Thus for the sake of humiliation (but I am NOT suggesting it!) participants of this thread should select and place here not their own poems but poems by OTHER participants of the thread. OK, forget it :)

(Elsewhere I have written that to write good poems one needs to feel both the confidence and the fear. That fear may include the fear of humiliation. However there should be more profound reason behind writing poetry than social acceptance. Thus the worse humiliation should be in front of oneself).

Besides, fun with Wicked is sooooooo important.
Agreed.

Best regards,

Humiliation?

SJ, humiliation??? Of the many reasons I write wanting to be humiliated because I wrote something bad is not one! You confuse being able to laugh at oneself with some deep-seated need for self-flagellation you perceive. No, no, no, no!

And it would be neither funny nor constructive to select others' poems that had received 4 or > that we secretly think are bad and post them here. It would simply be cruel!

Besides, art is a matter of taste (and don't try to argue with me because you won't change my mind!). Some people think poker playing dogs and elvis on velvet are beautiful. Who am I to force them to see otherwise???

And be nice to Eve!

ok ied agree with some of the comments on here if. i had unknmowingly posted on here.. say a , i m h o . a good poem . or even worse posted someone elses work with the intent of knocking seven bells out of it ,, but seeing as we ,as poets , a nd i like to think of my self as one, can now see the bad from the good then it has nothing to do with you ,, so there( acting childish and sticking my tongue out in a rasberry )

Re: Humiliation?

Angeline said:
Besides, art is a matter of taste (and don't try to argue with me because you won't change my mind!). Some people think poker playing dogs and elvis on velvet are beautiful. Who am I to force them to see otherwise???

And be nice to Eve!
I have one of Elvis playing ping pong with poodles.

SJ isn't nice sometimes, but it makes me want him all the more. I love humiliation and attention. So insult me, call me stinky, and I shall write love poems in your honor. :heart:

Elvis

My best girlfriend's mother had a painting hanging in her living room. It was on velvet--the devil in the enter surrounded by a circle of images of vice: a drink, dice, hypodermic needle, little naked body. Yeah. Really.

But then this women's mother (my friend's grandmother) had a plastic virgin mary whose head had broken off (like Venus de Milo, but no head) that she kept on top of the TV. Sometimes she hung her car keys on it.

I would often look at it and think, "Where is Salvador Dali, now that I really need him?"

And Senna Jawa knows I am fond of him in spite of raving at him. But he won't get me to agree with him if I think he's wrong.

If Dali was around today, I'd want a threesome with Salvador and Senna... in a surrealistic way, of course.

(I have a papier-mache dildo hanging on my wall)

The humiliation remark was mine, but it was taken somewhat out of context. SJ had brought up an incorrect sports analogy, which I'm almost certain he still believes is apt, and I was poking holes in it (good-naturedly).

So insult me, call me stinky, and I shall write love poems in your honor.
I knew there was something wrong with my technique.

Truly, I think there is a value to this sort of thing. At the very least, self-deprecation might keep giant egos in check.

Well, some of them. BTW, I can't post any poems on this board. You've seen all of my embarassing poetry.

original purpose of the thread

From the original post:
"Post your stinkers here so we can laugh at them. :D Or so we can, at least, see what went wrong and maybe learn from your mistakes."

Haven't any of you ever read magazines with do's and don'ts - especially for fashion? Hey, I've seen things that I didn't realize were no no's until I saw an example. (no more spandex hip huggers for this 37 year-old momma) As for poetry, I can now go back and look at earlier poems and the mistakes jump out at me. I learn from reading my earlier writings and realizing what didn't work. I wonder how my own poems will read to me a year from now.

Anyway, this thread is here to use or ignore. Senna you should ignore this thread. (but oh baby please don't ignore me :kiss: )

Kdog, you need more bite. :)

Re: original purpose of the thread

WickedEve said:
From the original post:
"Post your stinkers here so we can laugh at them. :D Or so we can, at least, see what went wrong and maybe learn from your mistakes."

Haven't any of you ever read magazines with do's and don'ts - especially for fashion? Hey, I've seen things that I didn't realize were no no's until I saw an example. (no more spandex hip huggers for this 37 year-old momma) As for poetry, I can now go back and look at earlier poems and the mistakes jump out at me. I learn from reading my earlier writings and realizing what didn't work. I wonder how my own poems will read to me a year from now.

Anyway, this thread is here to use or ignore. Senna you should ignore this thread. (but oh baby please don't ignore me :kiss: )

Why don't you start a "Bad Poem" contest? I'm not going to waste my BAD poems for nothing! :)

Last edited:
Re: Re: original purpose of the thread

Rybka said:

Why don't you start a "Bad Poem" contest? I'm not going to waste my BAD poems for nothing! :)

:D
I could dedicate the contest to Senna.

Re: original purpose of the thread

WickedEve said:

I can't ignore you, Eve, oh-ooh, that's impossible. Simply, everybody, just ignore me and have fun (you deserve a break from me anyway).

Best regards, everybody,

karmadog said:
SJ had brought up an incorrect sports analogy, which I'm almost certain he still believes is apt, and I was poking holes in it (good-naturedly).
My friend from the past, a great man, was always telling me that every analogy has a hole. Mine had too. Your follow-up analogy, watching tapes to discover errors and to learn avoiding them also has a hole. And so it goes.

In an adversary type of a discussion it makes no sense to use analogies, my friend was right. In a friendly discussion, when each party strives to find the truth and understanding and knowledge, analogies can be very useful.

Best regards,

Back