Breast Cancer Awareness ----- Give me your BOOBS!!

Simple powerful message. We will win in the end. Though many will fall in the process?
Yes and no. This one has always stuck with me-

“When you die, that does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live.” — Stuart Scott

No matter how much time one has. If you live your life to its fullest. You've won many other things. The end fight. Maybe not.

This has been a hard one for me. Prior to myself having cancer. That was always my thought process. You fight and if you beat it. You live. But sometimes the fight only means allowing yourself to have a bunch more enjoyable moments with the time you have left.

When I found out about mine. I had no idea how bad it was. What kind, what I was going to have to go through and we were on vacation. My biggest worry then was making sure that this vacation was the best we ever had in case it was the last. It truly was. We made some amazing memories. I was lucky to have all of my family with me at the time. But I wont lie. It was the look of pure sadness and loss on my kids faces that made me decide to fight like hell.
I've also learned there are many different forms of fighting. Sometimes letting go of the fight so you can enjoy what time you have left, is a bigger fight. (mentally)

When my dad found out he had Cancer he was told if he didn't do Chemo, he might only have 6 months to live. He went through months of pretty grueling treatment and in the end. He didn't even make it that 6 months. Had he known then what he found out in the end. He'd have skipped the grueling treatments and just lived his life the best he could.

I like the Stuart Scott quote Sassy.

I hate that your father had to go through all of that.

“When you die, that does not mean that you lose to cancer. You beat cancer by how you live, why you live and in the manner in which you live.” — Stuart Scott

No matter how much time one has. If you live your life to its fullest. You've won many other things. The end fight. Maybe not.

This has been a hard one for me. Prior to myself having cancer. That was always my thought process. You fight and if you beat it. You live. But sometimes the fight only means allowing yourself to have a bunch more enjoyable moments with the time you have left.

When I found out about mine. I had no idea how bad it was. What kind, what I was going to have to go through and we were on vacation. My biggest worry then was making sure that this vacation was the best we ever had in case it was the last. It truly was. We made some amazing memories. I was lucky to have all of my family with me at the time. But I wont lie. It was the look of pure sadness and loss on my kids faces that made me decide to fight like hell.
I've also learned there are many different forms of fighting. Sometimes letting go of the fight so you can enjoy what time you have left, is a bigger fight. (mentally)

When my dad found out he had Cancer he was told if he didn't do Chemo, he might only have 6 months to live. He went through months of pretty grueling treatment and in the end. He didn't even make it that 6 months. Had he known then what he found out in the end. He'd have skipped the grueling treatments and just lived his life the best he could.
I tell people. There’s a reason they call it a medical practice.
I don’t know how many times they told my father he’s got x amount of time left.
He had heart attack, stroke, heart transplant. The meds they gave to prevent the heart rejection gave him medicine induced leukemia. For lack of better term.
The meds suppressed the immune system so much that he couldn’t produce the necessary blood cells to survive.

They recommend 40 here as the starting age, although you can start earlier if you would like to or are indicated through history or density. It is always free. They are rolling out more and more clinics as well as a lot of mobile screening vans that visit country areas. The country area uptake is very good, possibly as there is a definite week for it. You can go from van to van and get your pap smear done as well.
We have a lot of corporate sponsors that assist the government in rolling out more clinics, nurses, equipment etc than a normal health budget can ramp up to each year. 51% of the population and voters are women so it is pretty easy on the agenda, tax deductible of course.
A lot of comedians have incorporated breast check techniques and mammograms into their routines quite cleverly, so it is in people's ears. The odd celebrity allows themselves to be filmed each year which provides a talking point for daytime television.
They have recently been discussing openly the techniques for checking larger dense tissue breasts as well those with enhancements, so a bit of sunshine helps answer a lot of questions people have in their heads.
I seem to be in the middle between large squishing and the complaint of smaller ladies of being nipple pinched. I'd never call it pleasurable but have few uncomfortable years. The plates seem to be warmer nowdays, or else I must go in the warmer months or after a few brave ones have warmed everything before me!

Thank you Sassy for holding up the mantle in here.
Beautiful tits!

My neighbour has held cancer back 3 times so far over around 20 years. Full single mastectomy, then partial mastectomy on the other breast, then about 4 years back surgically removed most of her labia and into her vulva. She refused chemo on each occasion as when she asked her surgeon for facts and figures, he said at best she would see 3% improvement but with plenty of side effects. I don’t know if this was specific to the cancers she had, or is general.

I like the Stuart Scott quote Sassy.

I hate that your father had to go through all of that.
Cancer is one of the worst things to watch someone go through. Yet another reason I do not want my kids to have to do that. They already watched their grandfather do it.
I tell people. There’s a reason they call it a medical practice.
I don’t know how many times they told my father he’s got x amount of time left.
He had heart attack, stroke, heart transplant. The meds they gave to prevent the heart rejection gave him medicine induced leukemia. For lack of better term.
The meds suppressed the immune system so much that he couldn’t produce the necessary blood cells to survive.
That is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry to hear this. :cry:

My neighbour has held cancer back 3 times so far over around 20 years. Full single mastectomy, then partial mastectomy on the other breast, then about 4 years back surgically removed most of her labia and into her vulva. She refused chemo on each occasion as when she asked her surgeon for facts and figures, he said at best she would see 3% improvement but with plenty of side effects. I don’t know if this was specific to the cancers she had, or is general.
Yes. Each cancer/person is different. That is amazing for the neighbor though. That is the outcome one desires for that much of a fight. :)

Yes. Each cancer/person is different. That is amazing for the neighbor though. That is the outcome one desires for that much of a fight. :)
She is into her 80’s now and the last surgery is still uncomfortable and makes it difficult for her to walk far, but she won’t give up yet and use a wheelchair, and still manages stairs, although they are considering installing a stairlift at home. Probably not this year though.

Cancer is one of the worst things to watch someone go through. Yet another reason I do not want my kids to have to do that. They already watched their grandfather do it.

That is heartbreaking. I'm so sorry to hear this. :cry:
An older friend, who's gone now, had a daughter who was just a few years younger than me and I fell hard for her. She was seriously involved with someone she ended up marrying. Many years later I met her while she was visiting with her parents and learned she was fighting breast cancer. Well, she went through the radiation and chemo and beat it that round. But then it metricized and spread to her brain and lymph nodes. She didn't survive the next go around of treatments. That's when I realized that sometimes the best answer is to do nothing other than palliative care.

She is into her 80’s now and the last surgery is still uncomfortable and makes it difficult for her to walk far, but she won’t give up yet and use a wheelchair, and still manages stairs, although they are considering installing a stairlift at home. Probably not this year though.
Hell. I'd love a stair lift just for the fun of it ;)
An older friend, who's gone now, had a daughter who was just a few years younger than me and I fell hard for her. She was seriously involved with someone she ended up marrying. Many years later I met her while she was visiting with her parents and learned she was fighting breast cancer. Well, she went through the radiation and chemo and beat it that round. But then it metricized and spread to her brain and lymph nodes. She didn't survive the next go around of treatments. That's when I realized that sometimes the best answer is to do nothing other than palliative care.
I joined many cancer support groups after my diagnosis and discovered how much of every decision around cancer treatment is 100% personal. They are great for support, for asking questions, getting individual results and asking for advice. But what works for one, doesn't always work for the other. My decision for a lumpectomy vs mastectomy was a really hard decision. If I went for the lumpectomy, I do take the chance of it coming back and while there is a small chance of reoccurrence even with a mastectomy, it is less.
So. Did I want to do the lesser of the surgeries and wonder if it'll come back, or the big surgery and worry less, however mentally recover from having no breasts which had always been a huge part of me. No one could decide that but me. Ask that group and you will get 100 different replies.
But it's like joining a weight loss group and excepting the same results as the person who lost 100# just from drinking tea.

My wife had breast cancer 14 years ago. She was my girl friend at the time. She had a left side mastectomy followed by chemo. The massive side effects from chemo and tamoxifen were beyond insane. She had a carotid dissection, 2 strokes, a necrotic gall baldder, low tone deafness, short term memory loss, and balance issues.

We discussed treatment issues and of coure the choices were hers all the way. I did make it 100% perfectly clear to her that I loved HER and not her breasts. I said to her that if they both needed to go for her to survive that I would support her decision. I was their with her through the surgery, the chemo, the side effects, and still by her side today.

The one thing that was on my mind from the start was I wanted her to survive. To live to see her kids grow up and be happy adults. To live for us to build a life together. NOT ONCE, NOT ONE SINGLE TIME, did her thoughts or mine go to "saving the boobies." Breast cancer treatment is about keeping the women we love ALIVE.

Are you trying to bankrupt me?
Hon, you've never seen me raise funds for a cause. Trust me, the weather is warm, you don't need clothes, you can go a week without eating and you didn't need next months salary anyway!

Make it 2 dollars in the next tin.

My wife had breast cancer 14 years ago. She was my girl friend at the time. She had a left side mastectomy followed by chemo. The massive side effects from chemo and tamoxifen were beyond insane. She had a carotid dissection, 2 strokes, a necrotic gall baldder, low tone deafness, short term memory loss, and balance issues.

We discussed treatment issues and of coure the choices were hers all the way. I did make it 100% perfectly clear to her that I loved HER and not her breasts. I said to her that if they both needed to go for her to survive that I would support her decision. I was their with her through the surgery, the chemo, the side effects, and still by her side today.

The one thing that was on my mind from the start was I wanted her to survive. To live to see her kids grow up and be happy adults. To live for us to build a life together. NOT ONCE, NOT ONE SINGLE TIME, did her thoughts or mine go to "saving the boobies." Breast cancer treatment is about keeping the women we love ALIVE.
That is exactly how it should be. My husband has stood by every single decision I've made and like you. Made it clear that he loved me no matter what. He's been with me since I was 16. So, he joked that he'd had my boobs long enough if they needed to go. He knew the big picture was always my health and he never cared if I had boobs or not. I'm grateful for all his support. My family has been pretty fucking amazing.

My sister, Mel, recently received her diagnosis. She doesn't know that I registered on this forum, and I want to collect as much information as possible about her illness. She is one of those who constantly delayed any visit to the doctor. I'm so embarrassed because I told her about my breast augmentation plans just a week ago. Now, I guess I'll put it off for better times. I have no idea what she'll say if I really do it. I feel like such a terrible sister :(

My sister, Mel, recently received her diagnosis. She doesn't know that I registered on this forum, and I want to collect as much information as possible about her illness. She is one of those who constantly delayed any visit to the doctor. I'm so embarrassed because I told her about my breast augmentation plans just a week ago. Now, I guess I'll put it off for better times. I have no idea what she'll say if I really do it. I feel like such a terrible sister :( I've chosen a great clinic and already had my first consultation https://www.visageclinic.com/cosmetic-surgery/breast-augmentation/. But I won't do it yet for my sister's support. It was important for me to share my story somewhere, thank you.

My sister, Mel, recently received her diagnosis. She doesn't know that I registered on this forum, and I want to collect as much information as possible about her illness. She is one of those who constantly delayed any visit to the doctor. I'm so embarrassed because I told her about my breast augmentation plans just a week ago. Now, I guess I'll put it off for better times. I have no idea what she'll say if I really do it. I feel like such a terrible sister :( I've chosen a great clinic and already had my first consultation https://www.visageclinic.com/cosmetic-surgery/breast-augmentation/. But I won't do it yet for my sister's support. It was important for me to share my story somewhere, thank you.
I highly suggest you join groups on Facebook. When I was diagnosed, they helped a ton. Especially in asking the important questions. It becomes overwhelming and writing it all down is very helpful. She (as can you) can learn about the things that are most important for her type of breast cancer.
I also recommend getting genetic testing done as it can be hereditary. Thankfully mine was not. But it still means my daughter will have to start mammograms earlier.

Back