Breast Cancer Awareness ----- Give me your BOOBS!!

To be honest, I've never had mine checked, but I'm also not sure when the recommended age is - I'm 28, for reference.

It's always like pulling teeth even for a pap, and I have a family history of cervical cancer! The Ontario Cancer Society seems pretty good about sending mail about this kind of thing (I get letters for my paps since age 21) so am I just young and they'll let me know? Edit: just checked, they recommend starting at age 50 unless there's a genetic concern or family history, then it is 30. Interesting. I honestly would have thought younger.

Worth talking about, while we're here.

To be honest, I've never had mine checked, but I'm also not sure when the recommended age is - I'm 28, for reference.

It's always like pulling teeth even for a pap, and I have a family history of cervical cancer! The Ontario Cancer Society seems pretty good about sending mail about this kind of thing (I get letters for my paps since age 21) so am I just young and they'll let me know?

I think you are supposed to do self exams but not get a mammogram until you are 40. The recommendation might be different in Canada though.

Sassy has done such a marvelous job with this thread and has been so ably assisted by so many beautiful Lit women.

Guys, support your spouse, partner, or friends in this endeavor in every way that you can.

And don't neglect your own exams, testicular cancer, and prostate cancer have their own months as well. It's all a partnership here, support friends, cancer is vicious.

It's always like pulling teeth even for a pap, and I have a family history of cervical cancer! The Ontario Cancer Society seems pretty good about sending mail about this kind of thing (I get letters for my paps since age 21) so am I just young and they'll let me know? Edit: just checked, they recommend starting at age 50 unless there's a genetic concern or family history, then it is 30. Interesting. I honestly would have thought younger.

Yeah. I'm going to guess the countries might have their own age. For me. I was always told 50 unless there is family history, or you have very dense breasts. Because of the denseness of mine. I started at 45.

This goes back to my anger over the medical system not putting more thought into preventative vs waiting for the worst to happen. Cancer treatment is not cheap. I can promise that the cost of cancer treatments, they could give a crap ton more women a Mammogram.

Love this thread, Sassy 💜

View attachment 2181806

This breast
Has given me pleasure
On long drives
In between teeth
Under covers

This breast
Has also been the reason
I’ve had two
Diagnostic mammograms
And a biopsy
Before I’m even 40

This breast
Is a reminder
That even though
It’s clear now,
The potential is high

So do your fucking self-exams
Or have someone you trust
Do the exam on you
Because it’s better to be safe
Than too late

If this journey has taught me anything...

Get those mammaries checked 🙂😍💕
Delightful range of breasts ladies. It doesn’t matter the size or shape, get them checked regularly.

They recommend 40 here as the starting age, although you can start earlier if you would like to or are indicated through history or density. It is always free. They are rolling out more and more clinics as well as a lot of mobile screening vans that visit country areas. The country area uptake is very good, possibly as there is a definite week for it. You can go from van to van and get your pap smear done as well.
We have a lot of corporate sponsors that assist the government in rolling out more clinics, nurses, equipment etc than a normal health budget can ramp up to each year. 51% of the population and voters are women so it is pretty easy on the agenda, tax deductible of course.
A lot of comedians have incorporated breast check techniques and mammograms into their routines quite cleverly, so it is in people's ears. The odd celebrity allows themselves to be filmed each year which provides a talking point for daytime television.
They have recently been discussing openly the techniques for checking larger dense tissue breasts as well those with enhancements, so a bit of sunshine helps answer a lot of questions people have in their heads.
I seem to be in the middle between large squishing and the complaint of smaller ladies of being nipple pinched. I'd never call it pleasurable but have few uncomfortable years. The plates seem to be warmer nowdays, or else I must go in the warmer months or after a few brave ones have warmed everything before me!

Thank you Sassy for holding up the mantle in here.

Just wondering. Is there any evidence that size matters?

Great question: no. Size or amount of breast tissue has no correlation with incidence of cancer. Breast cancer, however is linked to other cancers including ovarian and cervical.

I have had a male patient this year who thought his breast mass was just a “fat lump.” He didn’t have much breast tissue at all and ended up losing part of his chest wall where it invaded.

Great question: no. Size or amount of breast tissue has no correlation with incidence of cancer. Breast cancer, however is linked to other cancers including ovarian and cervical.

I have had a male patient this year who thought his breast mass was just a “fat lump.” He didn’t have much breast tissue at all and ended up losing part of his chest wall where it invaded.
I had a friend who carried his cell phone for years in his shirt pocket, he was a heavy smoker as well. He retired early and within months was diagnosed with breast cancer on the side of the chest where he carried the cell phone. Months later he had lung cancer and died. Otherwise, he was in excellent health.

When I found out that I was going to have a Lumpectomy. I admit to some vanity and wondering what my scarring would be like. I reached out to those who'd been through it and asked. A year and a half later, my scarring is far less noticeable. The one in my armpit (from lymph node removal) is almost nonexistent. I still have my tattoos (little dots they tattoo on you to line you up on the radiation table) and can honestly say the emotional side of this was much harder than the physical side. Emotionally I am still struggling to find my beauty. While I know that realistically the scarring is nothing in the grand scheme of things and I am happy to be alive. I'll take the life over anything. I was ready to get a full mastectomy if needed. But there is this little part in you that thinks of your breasts as part of your beauty. When in reality. They are just bags of fat.

I know in my heart that my boobs are not what makes me beautiful. But my head will argue with it once in a while.

Again. I'm not saying any of this to highlight my vanity. I am so grateful to be alive and I truly hope I can ultimately kick cancers ass. It will be a lifelong battle. I had the most aggressive kind and the kind most likely to come back.

But. Someone else asked me about my scarring.
Today. A year and a half after surgery.
Sassy,

When my wife was diagnose with Breast Cancer almost 13 years ago, we knew nothing.

When we met with the surgeon, he took us through the whole process. He stated he would do a Lumpectomy. They would cut out the tumor and try to get clean margins around it. My wife was barely a B cup then. He indicated if clean margins couldn’t be obtain they would have to take the whole breast and that would require a 2nd surgery. She said “If you think there’s problem during surgery, take it at that time”. He said: No. We don’t do it that way. Then he said something we still talk about to this day. “Your Breast is not a vital organ, it’s an emotional organ, but we treat it as a vital organ”. We had talked about seeing couple of surgeons before deciding whom to use. She felt comfortable with him, we didn’t see anyone else.

I don’t think either of us thought about the scare. It was not a straight line. More like a crescent moon. The radiation treatments washed it out. The lymph node scare and the medical port scare are very noticeable. The Breast and lymph node scare are still sensitive to touch. He had warned us she could lose feeling in her nipple, she didn’t. The tattoos on either side also bother her with discomfort the center one doesn’t. I not sure what she sees in the mirror, I think it looks great.

A couple of things said about mammograms. She had been getting them since her early 30s. I found the first lump back then. Her Doctor said it was a Fibroid. Then a 2nd some years later. Funny, 17 years later that’s where the tumor showed up. They said it wasn’t the Fibroids.

It was 6 to 8 months after her last mammogram when she notice the lump. It was large enough you could grab it with your fingers. When reading cancer forums, it was not uncommon for lumps to show up almost overnight. Her tumor was Estrogen based. So keep doing your self-exams.

The Mountain Lion story has lots of truths in it. Some of ours.

Friends and Family. We were lucky, we so many people wanting to help. Drive her to appointments. (I gave up some of those and dealt with the guilt) Clean the house (we didn’t use that one). Bring meals. Offer to sit with her. Go shopping for us. We had Family members wanting to help and do whatever they could. Others didn’t know what to do and stayed away and silent. Did you try this, did you try that it can get overwhelming.

Guilt. Why did she get to keep her breast when others don’t?

Survivors guilt, Why them and not me?

Everyone thinks you’re cured if you live. As Sassy said “It’s a lifelong battle”. As my wife says “It’s a full time job fighting cancer”. They don’t know about the ongoing Doctors appointment’s and tests. My wife was seeing a Doctor every couple months for several years. They don’t realize the stress with every Doctors appointment, every ache and pain. Is it back? Being on Tamoxifen for 5 years and the side effects. Then the next drug. Test, test and more test. So women, STAY STRONG.

Every woman’s (and some men) journeys are going to be different. None of them are going to be same. There are many factors that play into to it. Type of cancer, tumor, your genetic makeup, positive attitude.

Sassy, thanks for posting the photo of your scar. I wish I could share a photo my wife’s, but she would never allow it.

Thanks for starting this thread.

Sassy,

When my wife was diagnose with Breast Cancer almost 13 years ago, we knew nothing.

When we met with the surgeon, he took us through the whole process. He stated he would do a Lumpectomy. They would cut out the tumor and try to get clean margins around it. My wife was barely a B cup then. He indicated if clean margins couldn’t be obtain they would have to take the whole breast and that would require a 2nd surgery. She said “If you think there’s problem during surgery, take it at that time”. He said: No. We don’t do it that way. Then he said something we still talk about to this day. “Your Breast is not a vital organ, it’s an emotional organ, but we treat it as a vital organ”. We had talked about seeing couple of surgeons before deciding whom to use. She felt comfortable with him, we didn’t see anyone else.

I don’t think either of us thought about the scare. It was not a straight line. More like a crescent moon. The radiation treatments washed it out. The lymph node scare and the medical port scare are very noticeable. The Breast and lymph node scare are still sensitive to touch. He had warned us she could lose feeling in her nipple, she didn’t. The tattoos on either side also bother her with discomfort the center one doesn’t. I not sure what she sees in the mirror, I think it looks great.

A couple of things said about mammograms. She had been getting them since her early 30s. I found the first lump back then. Her Doctor said it was a Fibroid. Then a 2nd some years later. Funny, 17 years later that’s where the tumor showed up. They said it wasn’t the Fibroids.

It was 6 to 8 months after her last mammogram when she notice the lump. It was large enough you could grab it with your fingers. When reading cancer forums, it was not uncommon for lumps to show up almost overnight. Her tumor was Estrogen based. So keep doing your self-exams.

Friends and Family. We were lucky, we so many people wanting to help. Drive her to appointments. (I gave up some of those and dealt with the guilt) Clean the house (we didn’t use that one). Bring meals. Offer to sit with her. Go shopping for us. We had Family members wanting to help and do whatever they could. Others didn’t know what to do and stayed away and silent. Did you try this, did you try that it can get overwhelming.

Everyone thinks you’re cured if you live. As Sassy said “It’s a lifelong battle”. As my wife says “It’s a full time job fighting cancer”. They don’t know about the ongoing Doctors appointment’s and tests. My wife was seeing a Doctor every couple months for several years. They don’t realize the stress with every Doctors appointment, every ache and pain. Is it back? Being on Tamoxifen for 5 years and the side effects. Then the next drug. Test, test and more test. So women, STAY STRONG.

Every woman’s (and some men) journeys are going to be different. None of them are going to be same. There are many factors that play into to it. Type of cancer, tumor, your genetic makeup, positive attitude.

Sassy, thanks for posting the photo of your scar. I wish I could share a photo my wife’s, but she would never allow it.

Thank you for sharing you and your wife's journey.

I have no history in my family and started having mine checked at age 40. I've been lucky in not having been diagnosed with it yet, big hugs to our ladies who've fought the fight. 🤗🤗
Thank you Tali. I always appreciate your contributions. :rose: :rose:
They recommend 40 here as the starting age, although you can start earlier if you would like to or are indicated through history or density. It is always free. They are rolling out more and more clinics as well as a lot of mobile screening vans that visit country areas. The country area uptake is very good, possibly as there is a definite week for it. You can go from van to van and get your pap smear done as well.
We have a lot of corporate sponsors that assist the government in rolling out more clinics, nurses, equipment etc than a normal health budget can ramp up to each year. 51% of the population and voters are women so it is pretty easy on the agenda, tax deductible of course.
A lot of comedians have incorporated breast check techniques and mammograms into their routines quite cleverly, so it is in people's ears. The odd celebrity allows themselves to be filmed each year which provides a talking point for daytime television.
They have recently been discussing openly the techniques for checking larger dense tissue breasts as well those with enhancements, so a bit of sunshine helps answer a lot of questions people have in their heads.
I seem to be in the middle between large squishing and the complaint of smaller ladies of being nipple pinched. I'd never call it pleasurable but have few uncomfortable years. The plates seem to be warmer nowdays, or else I must go in the warmer months or after a few brave ones have warmed everything before me!

Thank you Sassy for holding up the mantle in here.
Thank you for all of this info. I am jealous that medical care is treated so differently there. This is how I wish it was here. :rose::rose:
I had a friend who carried his cell phone for years in his shirt pocket, he was a heavy smoker as well. He retired early and within months was diagnosed with breast cancer on the side of the chest where he carried the cell phone. Months later he had lung cancer and died. Otherwise, he was in excellent health.
I used to carry mine in my bra. :cry: Granted. Not on the side I got it. But still.
Sassy,

Wow. Thank you so much for sharing this story.
I felt the guilt pretty bad. One of my closest friends was diagnosed months before I was and by the time she found hers it was already stage 2/3 She could feel hers. I could not. I went in because of pain in my breast. (Different area of the breast) She went through all of it. Mastectomy, Chemo, Radiation and a pretty rough recovery. I often felt bad because my journey was tame compared to hers. There truly is never a comparison, but the guilt was still there. I think our friendship suffered some because of that also. She felt it also. "Why was mine so much worse than hers when it was found"

I also went in to see a plastic Surgeon in preparation. I was ready.

Mine being triple negative means not hormone driven. It also means that moving forward I will have to be careful of any hormones I take, including during menopause.
Thankfully my tattoos don't bother me at all. But yes, there is numbness around the scars. I feel things much more in my breast than I do in the armpit. Sometimes that area is tender whereas the only time I really feel the one in my armpit is when I am getting massages.

Just wondering. Is there any evidence that size matters?
I was told differently than what Moochie has reported. However. Not necessarily by size. More by density.

The short answer is:

Breast Cancer Risk​

Women with dense breasts have a higher chance of getting breast cancer. The more dense your breasts are, the higher your risk. Scientists don’t know for sure why this is true.

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/basic_info/dense-breasts.htm <--- About density and risk

Are dense breasts a risk factor for breast cancer?​

Yes, women with dense breasts have a higher risk of breast cancer than women with fatty breasts, and the risk increases with increasing breast density. This increased risk is separate from the effect of dense breasts on the ability to read a mammogram.

Several factors play a role in determining breast density, including:

• Age. Women under 50 tend to have higher breast density than older women. In particular, breast density often declines after menopause, but older women, however, can still have dense breasts.
  • Genetic factors. Evidence suggests that breast density is associated with genetic factors that can be inherited.
  • Having given birth. Giving birth is associated with lower breast density.
  • Tamoxifen. Use of tamoxifen, a medication that may be used to treat or prevent certain breast cancers, can lower breast density.
  • Hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Use of HRT after menopause is associated with higher breast density.
  • Body mass index (BMI). Women with lower BMIs tend to have higher density breast tissue.

I was told differently than what Moochie has reported. However. Not necessarily by size. More by density.

The short answer is:

Breast Cancer Risk​

Women with dense breasts have a higher chance of getting breast cancer. The more dense your breasts are, the higher your risk. Scientists don’t know for sure why this is true.

https://www.cdc.gov/cancer/breast/basic_info/dense-breasts.htm <--- About density and risk

Are dense breasts a risk factor for breast cancer?​

Yes, women with dense breasts have a higher risk of breast cancer than women with fatty breasts, and the risk increases with increasing breast density. This increased risk is separate from the effect of dense breasts on the ability to read a mammogram.

Several factors play a role in determining breast density, including:

• Age. Women under 50 tend to have higher breast density than older women. In particular, breast density often declines after menopause, but older women, however, can still have dense breasts.
  • Genetic factors. Evidence suggests that breast density is associated with genetic factors that can be inherited.
  • Having given birth. Giving birth is associated with lower breast density.
  • Tamoxifen. Use of tamoxifen, a medication that may be used to treat or prevent certain breast cancers, can lower breast density.
  • Hormone replacement therapy (HRT). Use of HRT after menopause is associated with higher breast density.
  • Body mass index (BMI). Women with lower BMIs tend to have higher density breast tissue.
My wife had dense breasts.

Back