California Gov. Newsom unveils historic $97.5 billion budget surplus

If you ever want me to stop posting, get something right. I might die of shock.
image_2022-02-28_173204.png

https://californiapolicycenter.org/...ate and Local Liabilities Total $1.6 Trillion

Might want to read this before you accept a 97 billion dollar surplus, like I said earlier it's easy to pad the books with monopoly money when ya don't fix shit.

Texas and Cal are totally different tax systems, texas is very regressive and hurts lower wage earners the most, but that's not what the OP's about

Srsly. STFU.

We're in the middle of the longest heatwave on record, a long ass drought, and part of the state is on fire because we didn't sweep the forrest. 🙄

And the lights are still on with no rolling blackouts.

I know what the op is about because I'm the one who posted it, dipshit.

If the claim is that texans pay more in taxes on average, then that would mean that some pay less but more pay more. And that is true.

Understanding that average doesn't mean all should be known by anyone with an average intelligence and not needing to be defined for the class. Additionally, all headlines should be taken with a grain of salt- regardless of the source.
If the claim is that texans pay more in taxes on average, then that would mean that some pay less but more pay more. And that is true.

Understanding that average doesn't mean all should be known by anyone with an average intelligence and not needing to be defined for the class. Additionally, all headlines should be taken with a grain of salt- regardless of the source.
Fair enough. Disregard the per capita stat. Point remains the same. The study did not conclude that Texans pay more taxes. It concluded that Texans pay more as a percentage of income. Big difference, and one that should be understood by anyone with average intelligence.

The conclusions of study are also a bit dubious. In actual dollars, Texans in every income bracket pay fewer dollars in regressive taxes: sales, gas, vehicles, etc.

With regard to income taxes, every Texan in every income bracket pays exactly the same: Zero.

With regard to property taxes, the amount collected on vast majority of Texas parcels is equal to or less than comparable parcels in CA. because of much higher assessed values on CA properties.

It’s also a good bet the study disregarded business taxes that get passed on to consumers and employees.

You’d be hard pressed to find a CA transplant in TX who is paying more dollars in taxes in the Lone Star State.

Fair enough. Disregard the per capita stat. Point remains the same. The study did not conclude that Texans pay more taxes. It concluded that Texans pay more as a percentage of income. Big difference, and one that should be understood by anyone with average intelligence.

The conclusions of study are also a bit dubious. In actual dollars, Texans in every income bracket pay fewer dollars in regressive taxes: sales, gas, vehicles, etc.

With regard to income taxes, every Texan in every income bracket pays exactly the same: Zero.

With regard to property taxes, the amount collected on vast majority of Texas parcels is equal to or less than comparable parcels in CA. because of much higher assessed values on CA properties.

It’s also a good bet the study disregarded business taxes that get passed on to consumers and employees.

You’d be hard pressed to find a CA transplant in TX who is paying more dollars in taxes in the Lone Star State.
Not disregarding anything....simply pointing out that you want to focus on the things that deflect away from the point of the article.

https://californiapolicycenter.org/california-state-and-local-liabilities-total-1-6-trillion/#:~:text=California State and Local Liabilities Total $1.6 Trillion

Might want to read this before you accept a 97 billion dollar surplus, like I said earlier it's easy to pad the books with monopoly money when ya don't fix shit.

Texas and Cal are totally different tax systems, texas is very regressive and hurts lower wage earners the most, but that's not what the OP's about

https://californiapolicycenter.org/california-state-and-local-liabilities-total-1-6-trillion/#:~:text=California State and Local Liabilities Total $1.6 Trillion

True. California’s unfunded pension liabilities are huge. Newsom’s predecessor (Jerry Brown) understood this and to his credit took some modest (but insufficient) steps toward addressing the problem. Fiscal responsibility isn’t Gavin’s thing.

Not disregarding anything....simply pointing out that you want to focus on the things that deflect away from the point of the article.
Right. The point of the study referenced in the article is different than the headline. Texans in fact do not pay more in taxes than Californians.

I am not clear on how the surplus was created. Was it over taxing, reduced spending, better than expected revenue? Any of the previous and whole lot of other reason maybe in play.

However, the result is 97 B extra not spent.

Budget 101 dictates the goal of an effective budget is to be as close to zero sum on either deficit, or surplus.

If Newsome uses this money wisely for interest payment, or deferred revenue accounts to offset expected future accrued spending such as pension obligations or such. Then it surely would be a positive for Cali.

Myself, I look at government the same in either case of massive deficit, or surplus; your CPA's are not doing a good enough job!

In the case of a massive deficit, that means the Government now needs expensive cash, over cheap tax dollars!

In the case of a large surplus, the Government just took more of my tax dollars for a fiscal year than they needed to operate!!!

Last edited:
California often runs at a surplus and is the 5th largest economy in the entire world.
As Epstein proved pedophile's are among the wealthiest people. Hollywood is full of them and your diddler of a governor is passing laws to make it easier to have sex with minors.

That's how you build a Cali economy.

But rather than argue about it, the simple truth is there has been a Cali-exit going on for two years now and not stopping so maybe there's a surplus because the population is dwindling?

Good news is you should be able to take advantage of that awesome economy and fix your teeth. Maybe that pothole brigade that goes around at night fixing streets in San Fran because they sit on their surplus can throw a shovel of tar into that gap.

But rather than argue about it, the simple truth is there has been a Cali-exit going on for two years now and not stopping so maybe there's a surplus because the population is dwindling?
You should really educate yourself on what a "state budget" is....You would look less of a fool that way
Good news is you should be able to take advantage of that awesome economy and fix your teeth. Maybe that pothole brigade that goes around at night fixing streets in San Fran because they sit on their surplus can throw a shovel of tar into that gap.
Street repairs in SanFran are a municipal budget item, not a state budget. Again educate yourself on how government budgets work....

Every school kid in California now gets free breakfast and lunch at school. That's a great way to spend some of that surplus. Good for them.

As Epstein proved pedophile's are among the wealthiest people. Hollywood is full of them and your diddler of a governor is passing laws to make it easier to have sex with minors.

That's how you build a Cali economy.

Whole E. Shit

Cali is rich because our governor is a diddler.

Your business failed because you're a fucking dumbshit as proven by this retarded mess.

Also, morons too stupid to realize that California is much more than Frisco and LA should just STFU.

Srsly. STFU.

We're in the middle of the longest heatwave on record, a long ass drought, and part of the state is on fire because we didn't sweep the forrest. 🙄

Tut tut... rake. Everyone knows you rake the forests, not sweep them. C'mon man. 😁

Who invited the QANON crackhead to the conversation?

Someone get him a juicebox.

Right. The point of the study referenced in the article is different than the headline. Texans in fact do not pay more in taxes than Californians.
The point of the study is always different than the headline. Though on average, Texans do pay more than Californians....and mostly there isn't much difference between the two when the net result is.calculated and certainly not as much as the right would have you believe.

pcA6RtB.png

meanwhile, back in the REAL world....
LINK
Read the study. The study does not conclude that Texans pay more than Californians in taxes. It concludes that they pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes. Californians pay more in taxes. It’s not even close.

Texas has no state income tax. It’s sales tax rates, gas taxes, and vehicle taxes are lower than CA across the board. Property tax payments in Texas are lower than what is paid on like for like parcels in CA because even though property rates are higher, assessed values are much much lower. Housing and commercial property values upon which tax rates are applied are dirt cheap in Texas compared to California. On top of that business taxes and payroll taxes, which get passed on to consumers and employees, are much higher in CA.

Read the study. The study does not conclude that Texans pay more than Californians in taxes. It concludes that they pay a higher percentage of their income in taxes. Californians pay more in taxes. It’s not even close.

Texas has no state income tax. It’s sales tax rates, gas taxes, and vehicle taxes are lower than CA across the board. Property tax payments in Texas are lower than what is paid on like for like parcels in CA because even though property rates are higher, assessed values are much much lower. Housing and commercial property values upon which tax rates are applied are dirt cheap in Texas compared to California. On top of that business taxes and payroll taxes, which get passed on to consumers and employees, are much higher in CA.
Cool. So Texans make less money and get taxed at a higher percentage and you still feel the need to throw pedantics at the fan.

The point of the study is always different than the headline. Though on average, Texans do pay more than Californians....and mostly there isn't much difference between the two when the net result is.calculated and certainly not as much as the right would have you believe.
Cool. So Texans make less money and you still feel the need to throw pedantics at the fan.
Yes, wages, salaries, taxes, and overall cost of living are lower in Texas. You’re catching on. 👏

Yes, the headline is correct and you just continue to not like the spin they give it. Cool
Headline of the chart is correct. Headline of the post and Houston Chronicle article to which I was responding is not. At any rate, it’s indisputable that Californians pay more dollars in state and local taxes than Texans.

Srsly. STFU.

It's adorable how you defend yourself by making claims about a heatwave, drought, wildfires, and a collapsing energy grid being responsible for Texans paying higher taxes.

I have no clue how luk thinks the State having BILLIONS in excess money while it's residents have less money is a good thing.
Luk didn't say that, RAPEY. Why do you lie so much?
Srsly. STFU.

It's adorable how you defend yourself by making claims about a heatwave, drought, wildfires, and a collapsing energy grid being responsible for Texans paying higher taxes.
Luk didn't say that, RAPEY. Why do you lie so much?

Luk broke RAPEY. :cry:

Back