Can someone explain how thecrating story rating system works?

This is a great thread, I've been wanting to understand the system better and this does explain it well. I've been on Lit 15 years and have 14 stories published. I don't enter any contest, but feel satisfied that my effort was worth it if I get the big red H. My score range is 4.25 to 4.68, so I guess I make some people happy. There are many haters on here based on the story category, so I take that into account. I do have a hard time understanding why you would waste your time reading a subject you have distain for.

I want someone to explain to me so that I understand, how the rating system works? I had recent story with 158 ratings get (1) additional rating, that dropped it's overall rating from 4.61 down to 4.58. How is that even mathematically possible. Can anyone explain the math behind the system? It will take 6-7 5-star ratings to even get it back to anywhere close to where it was at. How can 1 bad rating even if it was 0, bring it down so far, so fast, when it has over 150 ratings already logged?
Math. Somebody uno-bombed(gave it 1 star) your story.

Back