Concerned how your poetry may cause others to perceive you?

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It pisses me off....

Lauren.Hynde said:
Done. Now what?
You've already been by the ass, sexed up the hole, and called the super heroes in tights? :eek:

Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: Re: It pisses me off....

Elda Furry said:

You've already been by the ass, sexed up the hole, and called the super heroes in tights? :eek:
Been there, done that. Well, actually, I already had most of it done before...

Fact or Fiction

I'm with Karmadog. We ain't talkin' the mystery of the cosmos here. Here's an idea that might be beneficial. Make the distinction between journal entries and literature.

A journal entry is for your own satisfaction. It is cathartic and completely understood by you. You are the audience.

Literature is an expression and view of the writer. The audience is the reader and the goal is comprehension. Appreciation is nice but not needed. A writer writes because he has something to say and he wants to be understood.

What does write from the heart mean? Are we going to say that Shakespeare didn't write with emotion because he purposely manipulated language and employed form? Anybody remember "How do I love thee"? The poet used a formal structure but anyone who knows her story knows it was based on her real love for her husband. Once you fuse skill with creativity, it is craft. Is anyone going to love Romeo and Juliette any less if it's not a true love story?

Everything we write has a part of us. Why argue or qualify how much matters?

By the time you publicly share something there needs to be some emotion distance. I'm not saying you don't care about feedback, but if a piece of writing is emotionally an open wound, why would you share it? Unless you like the idea that someone might pour salt on it, keep it to yourself till you're sure an unexpected pinch ain't gonna do much more than irritate you.

It is foolish to expect folks to assume it's about you personally. Why should they? It's enough to know the writer has a particular viewpoint and he's sharing it with you. He doesn't demand you accept it nor should the reader assume he's sharing his life. He's telling you the story he wants you to know.

Writing for release and then dumping it on the unsuspecting reader and calling it art is missleading. You can't put it out there dressed up as poetry/literature and then get offended that someone didn't respect your feelings, didn't realize it's your life. Do you want your writing to received as art or your heart on your sleeve?

You submit a story about some asshole who beats his wife. Does that mean that a reader has a right to call you a wife beater? That's absurd.

Don't get pissed if you haven't defined for yourself what your purpose for writing and sharing is? And please don't get on the pedstal telling an audience what they can or cannot say. Once you put it out there it's fair game. Don't whine if you lose.

For cripe sakes, sometimes I wonder if we're teenagers in a class complaining about a mean teacher who just doesn't understand us or adults who can distinguish between fantasy and reality. So what is it? Is your writing fiction or non-fiction? Your choice. Make up your mind.

Peace,

daughter

Last edited:
daughter, recently at lotus, I posted a poem and someone commented on it. I was stunned by how she described the character in my poem. In many ways, it was me. I didn't realize that I had revealed so much. It was a little disturbing. [/B]

Who says she knows it was you? She described the character in the poem. Did you confirm it was you? You revealed a lot about a character as far as she was concerned. You revealed how you felt.

I shared with you awhile back I don't share what I haven't come to terms with. If I do, then I go in accepting the possible consequences. It better matter more what you think.

Peace,

daughter

daughter said:

Who says she knows it was you? She described the character in the poem. Did you confirm it was you? You revealed a lot about a character as far as she was concerned. You revealed how you felt.

I shared with you awhile back I don't share what I haven't come to terms with. If I do, then I go in accepting the possible consequences. It better matter more what you think.

Peace,

daughter
This person said absolutely nothing wrong. And whether or not she knew I had revealed some of myself, I don't know. What was disturbing to me was that I had revealed some things and didn't even realize it. And I didn't like what was revealed. But at the same time, I accept any revelations, and I realize it's a positive thing to make new discoveries about myself. If I see something I don't like, I can always change it.

what we reveal

WE--

I didn't know if you felt she said anything wrong. I understood your concern was what you revealed.

Haven't you ever read you own work and discovered something you hadn't intended? Sometimes, it's far better than what you wanted.

Whatever it is, hopefully we get to the place where we let it go and move on.

Peace,

daughter

Back