December challenge - Endings/New Beginnings

I just did a quick check to see if either of mine have been outed......I don't think so.

Tz, did you get rattled last night? :)

I would lamely venture that "Oxymoronic" is GM's, because of the provocative title and the story-telling quality of the poem, plus the military allusion. I also strongly suspect GM for "Changing Chemistry", again for the story-telling, and the well-delivered punch line at the end. Kudos to GM or to whomever wrote that.

GM, I think I am becoming hip to your style.

I did "Changing Chemistry" so much as a teenager Father Riley would have damned me for eternity unless I said 3 Hail Marys and 1 Our Father.

I did "Oxymoronic" too, but that's a venial sin for those of you in the know.

I'll admit to When Once a Scribbler...

Yes, gm, I think I've got your style pegged pretty well (had to be careful about the wording on that one).

No they are not, sorry. :rolleyes:

Bang on. I guess I would ask why am I so obvious?

Dunno if I can explain it, but there's a dry wit and melancholy to your writing, at least what I've seen, that has a particular pull. Especially with your voice, which so well matches your pieces, a rare treat btw, that once you've heard it, you can't un-hear it. You and Todski are almost always easy picks for me.

Of course I was behind the scenes this time so it was much easier for me :rolleyes:

No they are not, sorry. :rolleyes:

Bang on. I guess I would ask why am I so obvious?

On your poem that I did guess correctly, the last line clinched it for me. It just sounded like you. No one else would end a poem that way. I suspected it was you and read the last line and was sure. :)

In pairing 9
Phoenix is by Piscator

In pairing 12
Swapping Sciences is Remec

Phoenix was mine, but you got me on the my follow-up poem. As I mentioned to Trix when I apologized on coming almost down to the wire, but Changing Chemistry struck me as pretty tight and it took me a bit to think of how I might want to revisit its theme and/or narrative

You're not the only one to tag me for the Untitled poem in pair 7, going to have to go reread that one. :D

:cool:

Here's the cheat sheet, unconfirmed guesses are in (...)

#1 Remember, (???)
Evolution, (Mer)

#2 The Big Question for Those of Little Faith, Piscator
Sphere, (???)

#3 When Once a scribbler, Legerdemer
Oxymoronic, GM

#4 Seasons Change, (???)
An Emotional Weather Report, (Honey)

#5 Unchanging Terzanelle, (Angeline)
Evanescent Haikus, (Angeline)

#6 Hindsight, Trix
Visions, (Honey)

#7 Untitled, (Trix, Piscator)
Rememories of Love, Past Present and Future, Butters

#8 Beginnings and an Ending, (???)
Polaroids, Tzara

#9 Phoenix, Remec
Phoenix Rising, (Trix, Honey)

#10 Untitled, (Trix, Todski)
On a Winter's Night, (Todski, GP)

#11 plot tensions, Butters
Ever After, (GP)

#12 Changing Chemistry, GM
Swapping Sciences, Remec

#13 Venral blurt, AH
Untitled, (Todski)

Phoenix was mine, but you got me on the my follow-up poem. As I mentioned to Trix when I apologized on coming almost down to the wire, but Changing Chemistry struck me as pretty tight and it took me a bit to think of how I might want to revisit its theme and/or narrative

You're not the only one to tag me for the Untitled poem in pair 7, going to have to go reread that one. :D

:cool:

To me your poetry is often narrative, with the narrator having a conversational, laid-back kind of tone. If I read a poem in a guessing challenge that seems to have those elements, I assume it's yours.

And yes you did guess one of mine as did Tzara and one other person, I think...because who else here writes terzanelles on a fairly regular basis? :D

#1 Remember, (???)
Evolution, (Mer)

Sphere, (???)

Oxymoronic, GM

#4 Seasons Change, (???)

#6 Hindsight, Trix
Visions, (Honey)

Polaroids, Tzara

#9 Phoenix, Remec

Ever After, (GP)

Swapping Sciences, Remec

#13 Venral blurt, AH
Untitled, (Todski)

I like that people guessed I wrote both poems in that pairing lol.

Last edited:

#1 Remember, (???)
Evolution, (Mer)

Sphere, (???)

Oxymoronic, GM

#4 Seasons Change, (???)

#6 Hindsight, Trix
Visions, (Honey)

Polaroids, Tzara

#9 Phoenix, Remec

Ever After, (GP)

Swapping Sciences, Remec

#13 Venral blurt, AH
Untitled, (Todski)

Thanks for this, Trix, it's really interesting to see all the guesses together. It saves toggling back and forth.

I have to declare, that I did not write 'Vision', I'm telling ya all this because I am thinking that 'Vision' is written by GuiltyPleasure *fingers, toes, eyes and legs crossed*

Sorry, t'weren't me. :) Uncross everything, that can't be comfortable. :D

I didn't write Winters Night or Ever After either although I love all three of those poems. So far my two efforts are all ????s.

I have to declare, that I did not write 'Vision', I'm telling ya all this because I am thinking that 'Vision' is written by GuiltyPleasure *fingers, toes, eyes and legs crossed*

So you don't deny that you wrote "Phoenix Rising"? ;)

-in Pairing #4, I'll guess Honey wrote An Emotional Weather Report, and I'll also guess it was the first of the pair.

OK, I'm going with Mer on this one (having mis-guessed on "Vision".) The more I think about it, the more I think that "Time drags its galoshes" has a decidedly Honeyed flavor.

:mad: I'm getting frantic, now. I shall guess HA for "Ever After", and if I have blown it yet again, please bench me.

Back