Do you write from real experiences?

To write, you must first live.....
You must experience life.... See, feel... experience sadness, joy, love, hate.....
Sit down to write an imaginary story and those experiences will surface, not in explicit detail, not exactly as they did in real life.
The experiences will however influence what you write....
They have to, other wise, you have nothing...}
Yes, the characters maybe fictional, dug up from our imaginations, but those images come from somewhere...
Influences so subtle we may not even know they are at play.... But... They're there none the less.
Colouring our stories, infecting the dialogue....
My personal opinion is. You cannot create from nothing.... We have to feel to create.

Cagivagurl

My stories are almost entirely fantasy. Some of them are inspired by things I've experienced, but the details don't in any way track what I experienced.

I am seriously thinking about this, I am very new here and the reason I joined is because I want to write and share a few stories of me and the mrs from our real life experiences. I even have a draft ready, but I am not sure if I will post yet.
For me, real life stuff always makes it more stimulating to write.

For the most part, my stories are either totally true or based on truth. Either way, Vicki helps me write every one of them and she is really helpful with sexy details.

Do you write total fantasy, or is it at least based on real events?
I generally don't use real events, but I use real themes. I have a couple of stories where money causes power imbalances in relationships, partly because I've been in relationships with that kind of imbalance and it's something I wanted to explore.

For the most part, my stories are either totally true or based on truth. Either way, Vicki helps me write every one of them and she is really helpful with sexy details.

Do you write total fantasy, or is it at least based on real events?
They always say write what you know, well from that point from my human point of view, life experiences to translate to my characters.
My Centaur self for example, a human accidentally turned into a Centaur. The female characters, well I had two siblings.
The adult pony play side, I once re-shod some pony boots. It's taken four years or more to develop my stable of equines, canines, and shape shifters. Lucy the talking Border Collie is based on BCs I have known or rescued.

I do my best to write from emotional truth, and I do my research for factual truth. But a great deal is drawn from my experience, since I've created and enjoyed an interesting life. Several of my characters perform music; so do I. There are a couple of journalists in my stories; I did that too. One character flies planes; I have 60-plus hours in a Cessna 172S Skyhawk; two characters in a pair of stories are studying massage therapy; I completed a 500-hour course. And so on. And if I don't have first-hand experience - for instance, I was never in the military - I have friends who do know that world who help me out.
But if you meant the sexy parts - that's all made up!

Like Bramblethorn, many of the themes in my tales are based on personal experience. For the rest, I sometimes flatter myself by thinking they deserve to be based on truth.

There are elements of truth in my writing. Some encounters are based on my own experiences, some are based on things friends have shared. Others are flights of fancy from something that happened and I thought, "what if..." and things just grew from there.

Many of my characters quirks and mannerisms come from people I know.

To me, part of the joy of writing is to escape and explore something new.

I'm inspired by other people in that regard, not myself.

Everything I write is true (except for the stuff I make up).

My characters are all fictional except for the real-life celebrities that I write into imaginary scenarios. Even in those, the actual lives of the celebrities, up to the point where I fictionalize things, are integral to the plots.

In my other stories, the environments and many of the events are factual based specifically for the fictional characters to experience. One of the pleasures of writing for me is doing the research that brings enough reality to a story for readers to ponder what is real versus what is made up. Feedback indicates that readers appreciate the factual details that they recognize from their own experiences.

No, I don't like sharing. I also don't enjoy reminiscing about good memories; I prefer to create new ones.

While many wordsmiths draw on autobiographical content, I see them as limited artists rather than true creators. Relying on real experiences, beyond mere narcissism, is not genuine creation; it’s more of a memory exercise.

The essence of creation lies in crafting new worlds and characters, and that’s where a creator finds true joy.

I often recoil with a sour face whenever I sense an autobiographical passage unnecessarily slipping in.

I do appreciate it, though, when readers wonder if my story is based on true events; it tells me I’ve nailed it.

I write from fantasy, yes, but base some sexual acts on how I like it done to me, or how I perform on others IRL.

So, I may never had a MMF in real life, but how I give oral sex is explained how I do it IRL. That type of example.

I started writing to satisfy my exhibitionist tendencies, so my earliest stories were 75-90% factual. After my initial round of reality-based stories, I evolved to writing pure fiction. Occasionally a character will be based on a real person, or I might include a scene or conversation adapted from real life, but the stories are pure imagination. I use a mixture of real locations and made-up places.

No, I don't like sharing. I also don't enjoy reminiscing about good memories; I prefer to create new ones.

While many wordsmiths draw on autobiographical content, I see them as limited artists rather than true creators. Relying on real experiences, beyond mere narcissism, is not genuine creation; it’s more of a memory exercise.

The essence of creation lies in crafting new worlds and characters, and that’s where a creator finds true joy.

I often recoil with a sour face whenever I sense an autobiographical passage unnecessarily slipping in.

I do appreciate it, though, when readers wonder if my story is based on true events; it tells me I’ve nailed it.

Do you realize how arrogant this sounds?

I doubt if there is a single great writer who's writing doesn't reflect their life and influences.
We are the sum of our experiences, and our writing reflects that.

Do you realize how arrogant this sounds?

I doubt if there is a single great writer who's writing doesn't reflect their life and influences.
We are the sum of our experiences, and our writing reflects that.
It only sounds arrogant to the insecure ear. I’m not against writing based on personal experiences; I’m well aware it’s quite popular.

My point is that it’s a more limited and less creative form of writing. Moreover, genuine autobiographical writing demands immense courage--a willingness to bare one's heart and expose unembellished, often unflattering truths. That kind of honesty is incredibly rare.

It only sounds arrogant to the insecure ear. I’m not against writing based on personal experiences; I’m well aware it’s quite popular.

My point is that it’s a more limited and less creative form of writing. Moreover, genuine autobiographical writing demands immense courage--a willingness to bare one's heart and expose unembellished, often unflattering truths. That kind of honesty is incredibly rare.

No, it's arrogant, but thanks for doubling down on that.

You're telling me when you write an erotic scene in your stories it only contains acts you yourself have never engaged it? You are making everything up from whole cloth?

That's obviously nonsensical.
When we write about human interaction we are capturing the essence of all the human interactions we've been part of, and those we've witnessed.
Great writers take their experiences and use them as part of their craft.

We aren't talking about being autobiographical, we are talking about something much more broad than that.
Tolkien's experience in the trenches in WW1 is reflected in LOTR. By your standard that makes him an inferior writer, in reality his ability to capture the essence of that is what made him a great writer.

No, it's arrogant, but thanks for doubling down on that.

You're telling me when you write an erotic scene in your stories it only contains acts you yourself have never engaged it? You are making everything up from whole cloth?

That's obviously nonsensical.
When we write about human interaction we are capturing the essence of all the human interactions we've been part of, and those we've witnessed.
Great writers take their experiences and use them as part of their craft.

We aren't talking about being autobiographical, we are talking about something much more broad than that.
Tolkien's experience in the trenches in WW1 is reflected in LOTR. By your standard that makes him an inferior writer, in reality his ability to capture the essence of that is what made him a great writer.
You’re obviously right. It was a foolish mistake to try to explain myself---one that won’t be repeated.

You’re obviously right. It was a foolish mistake to try to explain myself---one that won’t be repeated.

Define Irony: someone who uses Plathfan as a name while decrying those who write from experience as inferior writers.

Define Irony: someone who uses Plathfan as a name while decrying those who write from experience as inferior writers.
If you possessed her diabolical wit, brutal honesty, and exceptional artistic skills, I might have read more than just irritatingly childish posts.

Back