Does category determine readership?

It was bound to go down from the very start.
feeb89f3-7727-45c7-a114-71ee3c1be2d1_text.gif

Interesting to look at Readers per vote. Chloe is 69, Reunion is 70.
Chloe 2 was 146 readers per vote.

That's the same ratio - one Vote per 70 Views is a stronger than the more usual return, but one Vote per 146 is a big shift the other way.

Don't ever think Views = Reads though, not until you get to the third or fourth chapter. At that point it's a reasonable assumption that those folk are sticking around to finish the story, but for the first chapter or a stand alone story, we have no way of knowing how many actually finish the story. A View just means someone has clicked into the first page, but we don't know how many have read the whole thing.

Well, that comment just killed this discussion deader than the Story Discussion forum.

I tried thinking positive thoughts, but it increased my intracranial pressure beyond operational tolerances, so I had to excuse myself to vomit some rainbows.
tumblr_mgu3b06ITV1rvnja4o1_500.gif

Category is a factor in a couple different ways. Another big factor--not really under your control--is your story's position on the New list. If you're near the top you can pick up views from readers who might not visit the category hub. If you're near the bottom, then only dedicated readers are going to find your story.

There are two ways I know of to affect your story's position on the New list. First is to enter the official Lit contests. Contest stories are placed at the top of the new list and at the top of their category hub. The other is to avoid NC/R stories, because (unless they're contest stories) they're usually placed at the bottom of the New list.

Categories matter. Also, the perception of your gender matters. The difference in views is hardly a surprise.

My story CHLOE'S NEW BOARDING SCHOOL got to 15000 readers quite quickly and started to plateau. My recent 'The School Reunion', started to tail off much faster.
Is this because Reunion went into Trans and Crossdressers category, which is a bit more niche?
Or was the story just not so good?
Chloe scored 4.75, Reunion 4.71.
I suspect the category affected readership..

View attachment 2353501
Yes, T&CD is a super niche category with few readers. All of my stories are 4.0 or above with a few red H's but the number of readers is small. Even my most read story posted in 2020 only has 57,000 views. If anything the readership in this category seems to be shrinking!

I do not know about readership or views, but I peruse all new stories every morning at 4:30 am. Incest/Taboo is far more represented than any other category as to stories published, but as far as I can tell, readership and views and comments fall far short of what you would expect out of the category, given the numbers published

Back