Doms who want to be your sugar daddy...

catalina_francisco said:
Used to think that way, and if I was in my own country my plan was to be in business for myself and work 3 days for paid clients and 2 days for unpaid clients who couldn't pay.....but except for the own business idea, volunteering lost it's charm for me. Why? A lot of previously paid positions were scraped by the government putting a lot of people out of work, and given to volunteer organisations who had people who would do it for nothing. The quality of service dropped dramatically endangering people's lives and health, many lost careers they had worked in for decades, people who previously accessed the services were not necessarily able to anymore as they were judged on a scale devised by bureaucrats with no knowledge of the area as to whether they 'needed' or 'deserved' the service, and it devalued workers who had previously earned their wage and worked committed to their clients, denying them the right to be paid for what they did, to earn a living.

Feminism has a huge problem with people's work being devalued to worthless through the volunteer system and it is a valid argument from quality of service, and the right to work and earn a living perspectives. People have a right to make a living, not to be expected to work without pay. And while you may argue that it is OK though if volunteer workers would not be doing anything otherwise, it still at the end of the day denies a paid worker that job and an income which may be needed fi volunteers weren't so ready to offer their services free. My objection to this system is made stronger from coming from the country with the largest unpaid volunteer work force (and growing) in the developed world, and a huge problem with unemployment which the government does not want to address in a way which will return people to work. They say they make improvements but the reality is they just creats new policies which make another section of the unemployed ineligible to claim benefits which in turn removes them from the unemployment figures. Looks good, but is just shifting figures and burying them where they can't be seen by the system and it's observers.

Catalina :rose:

You don't necessarily have to work for free to volunteer. You can act as a big brother or big sister. You can monitor the halls in a school. Be a cross guard when the city cannot afford to hire policemen to do this. Or you build houses for Habitat for Humanity. I've never heard of a developer losing money because Habitat built houses for people who could never afford them otherwise. Or you join a cause like - save the beavers - which has no funding except that which its advocates can raise - in order to help. There are a lot of ways to volunteer that won't take jobs away from others. And sometimes, some non-profit organizations could not survive without its volunteers. Like the hospice I used to volunteer for. I never put a pharamacist or nurse or secretary out of work, if anything I allowed them to get their work done while helping to raise money that paid for the care of patients and also their salaries.

SkylineBlue said:
But I personally would go to waste if given freetime like that or allowed to dictate how I spent my day at home for weeks on end and years on end. Arguably, my dominant could come in very handy for dictating what I do with my time. But I tend to resent that - which would be a power exchange tha tmight be interesting to experiement with - but I think in the end, it would dissolve the relationship. And not because I would resent him so much as hate that I was unable to keep myself motivated day in day out to keep my mind and body in shape.

Many feel I am going to waste, but it depends how you look at it. I feel more stimulated mentally now than I ever remember because I have the time to explore things more than skim over them in the speed of time schedules. I also feel on a personal and spiritual growth level, which to me means reaching a place where you are happy independent of anyone or any outside factors, I am reaching a higher level which is more easily relied on to remain.

I have my days where I am unmotivated, but also had them when I studied, or worked in a career I was highly committed to and found exciting. I think more often than not that can be something that is a part of you no matter what. I have arrived at a point I just ride out those waves knowing my enthusiasm and motivation will return. I also believe it can be your own body/mind regulating the need for slow times, times when thoughts can be processed carefully through the brain cells. I find my brain does this in automatic mode without any real input on my part....when it is finished the answer for whatever problems have been hangin unattended comes into my consciousness. I have come to like that more than fight it as I did in the past....conserves a lot more energy too.LOL.

catalina_francisco said:
Many feel I am going to waste, but it depends how you look at it. I feel more stimulated mentally now than I ever remember because I have the time to explore things more than skim over them in the speed of time schedules. I also feel on a personal and spiritual growth level, which to me means reaching a place where you are happy independent of anyone or any outside factors, I am reaching a higher level which is more easily relied on to remain.

I have my days where I am unmotivated, but also had them when I studied, or worked in a career I was highly committed to and found exciting. I think more often than not that can be something that is a part of you no matter what. I have arrived at a point I just ride out those waves knowing my enthusiasm and motivation will return. I also believe it can be your own body/mind regulating the need for slow times, times when thoughts can be processed carefully through the brain cells. I find my brain does this in automatic mode without any real input on my part....when it is finished the answer for whatever problems have been hangin unattended comes into my consciousness. I have come to like that more than fight it as I did in the past....conserves a lot more energy too.LOL.

Besides it isn't like you can give something a try and then HAVE to stick with it. Just because you die your hair red and then hate it doesn't mean you have to keep it that way for life. If it makes you unhappy, change it. It's made you content, no reason to change.

SkylineBlue said:
You don't necessarily have to work for free to volunteer. You can act as a big brother or big sister. You can monitor the halls in a school. Be a cross guard when the city cannot afford to hire policemen to do this. Or you build houses for Habitat for Humanity. I've never heard of a developer losing money because Habitat built houses for people who could never afford them otherwise. Or you join a cause like - save the beavers - which has no funding except that which its advocates can raise - in order to help. There are a lot of ways to volunteer that won't take jobs away from others. And sometimes, some non-profit organizations could not survive without its volunteers. Like the hospice I used to volunteer for. I never put a pharamacist or nurse or secretary out of work, if anything I allowed them to get their work done while helping to raise money that paid for the care of patients and also their salaries.

But that is the point I am making. I am not talking just about nurses or professional, but including every position which can be paid for instead of made volunteer. You say you do not take away a job...while in your thinking you do not, if volunteer work was not available and unpaid, someone would and has been paid for doing that same position in the past. In my own neighbourhood, people used to be paid to clean the schools...until they found a vounteer organisation which supplied people who would do it out of the goodness of thier Christian souls. Well they went home after cleaning feeling good about themselves, but did not want to be asked about or forced to think of the single mothers they had taken paid employment from. They saw it as their Christian duty.

Non-profit organisations are the same...the ideal is lovely, the reality is not so lovely if backed by supplying unpaid workers who often are not required to work in the strict guidelines people doing the same work for money are forced to, depending on positon. I worked in such an organisation and though I had the qualifications, not all did and the service they supplied was often called into question by those on the receiving end. We live in a capitalist society which requires people to have money to survive. To have money, you need to be paid for what you do. Most non-profit organisations do have a paying counterpart in the community. If the paid were all available, the money being used to prop up the non-profit sector could be used to provide services to all, but also value the people doing the work. While there are those who feel they are doing their altruistic best continue to think only as far as their own self worth, many others are denied the right to an income. That to me is not being altruistic, especially when the former wage earner then becomes the receiver of volunteer services because their choice has been taken from them by these same people.

It is worth noting also that part of the feminist argument against volunteer services is most jobs lost through volunteer labour have been women's positons, and that most volunteer workers are women, an already oppressed and devalued section of the community...so not only are women losing their income, they are then expected to work for nothing....doesn't this sound like we are going back to where we fought to escape from? If something is worth doing, it is worth being valued on the same level the society exists on (capitalism) and paid for.

SkylineBlue said:
Besides it isn't like you can give something a try and then HAVE to stick with it. Just because you die your hair red and then hate it doesn't mean you have to keep it that way for life. If it makes you unhappy, change it. It's made you content, no reason to change.

Well in vanilla I would agree, but for me I do what pleases him as that was my commitment. At the moment he loves me being here fulltime but wants me to utilise my skills in a way which pleases us both, so I have come up with a plan which is acceptable to him yet leaves me still available for him at all times basically. Now to get to working on how to implement it. LOL

My idea of volunteering has always involved the environment and animals rather than people. I have before, volunteered as a teachers aide, and a "helper" to the elderly at the local old folks home. If, however, I had the financial resources, and the time, I would open a cat shelter...not expacting to make any money, or anything like tha,t just becuase its like a stab wound everytime I see another half frozen stray cat in the parking lot where I work, I already spend several dollars a shift on canned cat food for them...
Catalina, lest you take it the wrong way, let me clarify. I was no devaluing stay at home SO's...in fact, I am sure that it is a situation that works out well for some people. I just know that I could never do it...much as I dislike people most of the time, I occasionally need the social circle that surrounds a job, otherwise I would go for weeks at a time buried with my nose in books, and not see another living soul...

The Entire Collection of Dust Bunny Trivia

NCShin said:
It was the usual. Well, I did find a HUGE dust bunny under the bed today. It wasn't there yesterday, but today, there it was.

Oh....OK, anything else happen?

No, not really...

Oh...

I just think that everyone needs to get out even if it's just so they have things to talk about. The evil customer, the runnaway printer, the broken fax machine. Anything.

I agree NCShin, I would go stir crazy if I was a stay at home sub. Of course from a financial point of view it would not be feasible. I currently make in a week what he makes in a month (well $200 less) so my working is a necessity. My oldest daughter is 21, married and living away from home, and my youngest is 14 and at that stage where me being around is a drag, so I couldn't fight dust bunnies all day, I'd much rather go to work and fight my bosses ;)

Back