Don't you hate it when ...

You briefly mentioned a minor character earlier in a story you were working on a few weeks ago. You are ready to pick up where you left off and you can't remember the character's name and have to reread the whole thing to find the reference.

You've got the whole day free, with no expectations put upon you, and no distractions, BUT you just don't feel like fucking writing?

Add your own DYHIW where it pertains to writing.
When you've got the whole story fully formed in your head, then you go to write it down and discover that, in fact, you do not have the whole story fully formed in your head.

When you've got the whole story fully formed in your head, then you go to write it down and discover that, in fact, you do not have the whole story fully formed in your head.
Happily, my stories develop in the back of my mind, not to reveal how much has already been developed before I sit down to key at the computer.

Happily, my stories develop in the back of my mind, not to reveal how much has already been developed before I sit down to key at the computer.

Less than I'd hoped is usually the answer I get.

Less than I'd hoped is usually the answer I get.
I'm usually surprised how much more work--and quickly--the back of my mind has done on a story before I sit down to write it up. I don't require too much before I start writing. The enjoyment is in finding where it goes more or less on its own.

I'm surprised too by what can spark a story idea and how fast it can make it from conception to publishing. The story that posted to the Nude Day contest today under my sr71plt account, for instance, popped up pretty much in full mere minutes after I received an Emergency Operations Center call about a missing eighty-year-old man. My muse surged ahead of my other thinking in sparking a contest entry I had no inkling in before I got that phone call. And here it is, today, immediately whipped up and posted to Literotica the next day. It's such little unexpected pleasures that keep me writing.

I'm usually surprised how much more work--and quickly--the back of my mind has done on a story before I sit down to write it up. I don't require too much before I start writing. The enjoyment is in finding where it goes more or less on its own.

I'm surprised too by what can spark a story idea and how fast it can make it from conception to publishing. The story that posted to the Nude Day contest today under my sr71plt account, for instance, popped up pretty much in full mere minutes after I received an Emergency Operations Center call about a missing eighty-year-old man. My muse surged ahead of my other thinking in sparking a contest entry I had no inkling in before I got that phone call. And here it is, today, immediately whipped up and posted to Literotica the next day. It's such little unexpected pleasures that keep me writing.

Something will usually spark the idea for a scene, but rarely a whole story. Then when I'm trying to connect the scene to another things get messy.

Wake up in the middle of the night with a terrific idea, too lazy to get out of bed to write it down, so instead, swear to remember it, then the next morning it's just... gone. Just... gone.

For me its when I am convinced that once, just this once, I am going to write a short mindless sex crazed stroker with zero plot and full throttle fucking, and....a few thousand words in I've given the MC a back story, there's a reason they're conflicted about said mindless sex, and....
Maybe that's a good thing.

both allow you to get a massive bang in, though, so I can see why one would get confused.
That reminds me: I usually cringe when I hear (often from some YouTuber) "body count" used as a replacement for "notch count." In my youth, body count meant something entirely different.

My problem when I don't feel like working on one of my stories is I come here to AH. I see others being altruistic. or glib in their responses to a serious inquiry to make themselves appear oh so brilliant and witty. When it comes down to how to make a story really work for their audience in a particular category, only a handful are really giving advice.
Here's my advice for I/T.

Back