EPMD's Prose Poetry is Over Group

Have we trashed Carl Sandburg, yet.

Carl Sandburg stands up well against WC Williams. Not as boring as an Audeny Frost, not as exciting as a Dylan Thomas. In the running for best American Poet, at least.

Carl
Wallace Stevens
TS Eliot
Langston Hughes
19th Century isn't worth looking into,
Robert Lowell and Hart Crane are probably worth trashing

Carl was certainly the most American in his work. We can make this a Carl Sandburg praising thread if you want.

Carl Sandburg stands up well against WC Williams. Not as boring as an Audeny Frost, not as exciting as a Dylan Thomas. In the running for best American Poet, at least.

Carl
Wallace Stevens
TS Eliot
Langston Hughes
19th Century isn't worth looking into,
Robert Lowell and Hart Crane are probably worth trashing

Carl was certainly the most American in his work. We can make this a Carl Sandburg praising thread if you want.
Well, that's interesting. Poe gone? Whitman gone? Sandburg outranking WCW both as a poet and an American?
Frost can be boring at times, but not on the list, a man once described as "frightening" because he was some damn good. It's an interesting list Epmd.

Anyway, I once ran across five or six page critique of "Fog" based on phonemes and how it would be impossible to translate the effects. Shame I lost it, otherwise I'd post it.

Well, that's interesting. Poe gone? Whitman gone? Sandburg outranking WCW both as a poet and an American?
Frost can be boring at times, but not on the list, a man once described as "frightening" because he was some damn good. It's an interesting list Epmd.

Anyway, I once ran across five or six page critique of "Fog" based on phonemes and how it would be impossible to translate the effects. Shame I lost it, otherwise I'd post it.

i may not post much in these erudite conversations, but i do read. and learn! phonemes, for example :eek:

i may not post much in these erudite conversations, but i do read. and learn! phonemes, for example :eek:
luddite conversions? did i say "phonemes" I meant "pheromones" as in civet cats

FOG

The fog comes
on like a civet cat

in heat, sits looking
over harbor and city.
In noir launches
Sam Spade moves on.

My father taught me to recite "Fog" when I was four years old. I have no idea why. Many years later I found the poem in a high school lit text book and discovered the author. I suppose up to that time, I thought it was my father's creation.

Even with such a head start, I would find it difficult to write six pages on the work.

Whether a poet is noticed while alive or remembered after death seems to be more a matter of chance than quality. There are plenty of very good poets who die and no one beyond a small circle of friends has seen their work. Twice a month the New Yorker magazine lands on my desk. It contains four or five poems per issue. Most of the time, I read the poem and wonder why this particular piece appealed to the poetry editor. It seems no better or worse than several hundred other poems I have read. I am told the New Yorker magazine has a two year waiting list of submitted poetry.

It is hard enough to make a living as a poet. The odds are better if one wanted to be a professional basketball player. The pay is better, as well. I find it difficult to rank those who actually made it to the big leagues. Poetry does not have the vital statistics for objective measurements.

My father taught me to recite "Fog" when I was four years old. I have no idea why. Many years later I found the poem in a high school lit text book and discovered the author. I suppose up to that time, I thought it was my father's creation.
My Father used to read Poe and Eliot to me as mere child, I used to think he was kind of creepy and weird.
Than I discovered it's just poetry

that is.

My Mother read Plath.

My Uncle used to read Tennyson.
He was crazy.:rolleyes:

My Father used to read Poe and Eliot to me as mere child, I used to think he was kind of creepy and weird.
Than I discovered it's just poetry

that is.

My Mother read Plath.

My Uncle used to read Tennyson.
He was crazy.:rolleyes:

My father knew parodies of half a dozen famous poems:

The girl stood on the burning deck,
her baggage checked for Jerusalem.
She slipped and fell on a banana peel
and busted her ablagusalem.

Years later I found the real poems and found the parodies much better.

His sacrilegious parodies of church hymns nearly got me kicked out of Sunday school.

Back