feeling discouraged

we all wonder every now and then if we suck

Yes, I admit I often wonder if certain Lit. authors suck -- in fact I spend a few minutes every day wondering that.

Hey thanks again, everyone. :) Sorry I'm not responding individually but so many of you were kind enough to respond. But I've read every post through more than once and I appreciate them all. Anyway, I spent some time working on stories that are less important to me and now I feel refreshed and ready to go back to the ones I really care about.

Also being in a better mood, I've decided that the fact that becoming good enough to publish is such a challenge means it will be that much sweeter when it happens. I have a plan and everything... writing class, lots of practice, six month trip to South America, a couple of story ideas, magazines in mind to send query letters to. Even if it doesn't work out, I still get to spend six months in South America.

Nikki

Last edited:
Don't plan

I actually had a travel piece of mine published. I didn't ever think about being a travel writer, I just took a weekend trip, had a good time, and emailed a friend. Next thing I know some editor is telling me some changes to make. I had kept travel logs before and have since, but all of that was garbage. If you are focused on finding a hook for the piece and the format your class suggests you probably won’t have as good an experience. I think of travel writing as non-fiction story telling. You need to have a good story to weave it all together.

Well that enough new age buzz wording. At least that's my advice, I'm sure you could find someone with a far greater resume than my own who would tell you the exact opposite. Hope this helps.

Back