gender pronouns, no names

Gotta second what KM said...I know, twisting my arm here. In my damnably-unfinished "series," I referred to my main fem pronounically until someone came along to name her, in this case a package delivery man. No, that's who named her, not what she was named. I've been reading too much DurtGurl recently, methinks.

My problem with autonames is that it comes across to me on similar lines as Random Rattling Off of Measurements. Breaks the narrative mood, to a degree. Plus I hate when my mental picture of a person is NOT the mental picture I get from their name. It's tricky stuff, my friends.

Soooo...it varies. :D

As far as when I name my characters, it depends a lot on the POV. It it's third person I ususally do it pretty quickly because I don't want to get to heavily into the whole pronoun conundrum.

If it's first person though, I'll wait until it fits. I don't care at all for the, "Hi, let me introduce myself..." school of writing. I may be all wet, but when I see that I automatically think, beginner. So like KD and Quint I'll wait for another character to "name" the narrator or use some other device like a letter or something to do the deed.

The same thing goes for physical descriptions. If it isn't something that comes into the story naturally than I don't bother with it. The only time I'll try to work it in is if it's necessary for the story.

Jayne

Quint said:
I hate when my mental picture of a person is NOT the mental picture I get from their name. It's tricky stuff, my friends.

Soooo...it varies. :D

Sometimes the name just happens.

Other times I have real trouble naming my characters. I have two "Naming Baby" books but even a search through them doesn't always help.

If I am desperate I name the characters MAAA (through to MZZZ) for males and FAAA for females and use search/replace once the characters have started to develop and real names just "happen" to fit.

And - no - even I have never reached MAAZ or FAAZ in my stories.

Og

I once wrote an entire 1st person story about sex between strangers on an airplane with no names, simply because the opportunity to introduce the names never came up. So my characters ended up having sex without knowing each other's names.

The Earl

Gd grf

TheEarl said:
Isex between strangers on an airplane with no names. So my characters ended up having sex without knowing each other's names.

Dear Earl,
I don't think it's terribly unusual for an airplane to be nameless, but sex between people who don't know each others' name? Can that actually be done?
MG

I always find name-exchanging a pointless waste of time that could be better spent kiking down doors and cuming in peepels fases. :D

The story's From a Boeing 747, if anyone cares. I think it does work. And the airplane's name was Bob, btw.

The Earl

Back