It's Obscene

tungtied2u said:
Call me naiive, but this to me is obscene...

Joni Mitchell is following the lead of Paul McCartney in joining with the coffee giant Starbucks to release her comeback album.

I just finished a novel by Terry McMillan where one of the characters says that Joni looks like a transvestite. Poor Joni! :)

That doesn't piss me off half as much as hearing Revolution in the Nike commercial. Lennon would have hated it. And which Beatles song was just used for some credit card commercial? I forget but just ew. Damn that Michael Jackson!

Angeline said:
I just finished a novel by Terry McMillan where one of the characters says that Joni looks like a transvestite. Poor Joni! :)

That doesn't piss me off half as much as hearing Revolution in the Nike commercial. Lennon would have hated it. And which Beatles song was just used for some credit card commercial? I forget but just ew. Damn that Michael Jackson!

What ever happened to this ?

tungtied2u said:
Call me naiive, but this to me is obscene...

Joni Mitchell is following the lead of Paul McCartney in joining with the coffee giant Starbucks to release her comeback album.
Well, call me a home-town booster (Starbucks, y'know, though never have owned any stock, the more fool me), but how is that worse than recording for Time Warner or Sony? It's not like Joni or Sir Paul or anyone like them is recording for KRS.

Not that the label would take them.

Let's look at market capitalization:
  • Starbucks Coffee: $20.06 billion USD
  • Sony Corporation: $51.47 billion USD
  • Time Warner: $70.84 billion USD
Music is a gigantic business, though a kind of dildo-headed one in this day and age.

Hear Music (the Starbucks' music division) might give older artists more exposure to their potential audience. (Old folks who are affluent enough to buy coffee from SBUX. Which I don't, actually.)

Artists go where the money and the exposure are. Why the Clash (The Clash!) is advertising stuff on TV.

Why I so love Neil Young. 'Cuz he don't. JL wouldn't have, either, I think, but that "Start Me Up" Rolling Stones thingie for Windows Whatever was really disconcerting.

Oh, yeah. Some Neil.

Last edited:
Tzara said:
Well, call me a home-town booster (Starbucks, y'know, though never have owned any stock, the more fool me), but how is that worse than recording for Time Warner or Sony? It's not like Joni or Sir Paul or anyone like them is recording for KRS.

Not that the label would take them.

Let's look at market capitalization:
  • Starbucks Coffee: $20.06 billion USD
  • Sony Corporation: $51.47 billion USD
  • Time Warner: $70.84 billion USD
Music is a gigantic business, though a kind of dildo-headed one in this day and age.

Hear Music (the Starbucks' music division) might give older artists more exposure to their potential audience. (Old folks who are affluent enough to buy coffee from SBUX. Which I don't, actually.)

Artists go where the money and the exposure are. Why the Clash (The Clash!) is advertising stuff on TV.

Why I so love Neil Young. 'Cuz he don't. JL wouldn't have, either, I think, but that "Start Me Up" Rolling Stones thingie for Windows Whatever was really disconcerting.

Oh, yeah. Some Neil.

Anyone who has heard Neil sing This Note's for You knows where he stands on corporate support of his music. :)

Angeline said:
Anyone who has heard Neil sing This Note's for You knows where he stands on corporate support of his music. :)
Yes, but even St. Neil (and I adore him and don't mean that ironically--well, maybe a little ;)) has spent his entire career recording for Reprise, which is a Time Warner label and part of an upwards of $70 billion (USD annual revenue) company.

So it ain't like he is, to cop a phrase from Philip Roth's The Plot Against America, "Just Folks." :)

Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

MTVM said:
Yes, but even St. Neil (and I adore him and don't mean that ironically--well, maybe a little ;)) has spent his entire career recording for Reprise, which is a Time Warner label and part of an upwards of $70 billion (USD annual revenue) company.

So it ain't like he is, to cop a phrase from Philip Roth's The Plot Against America, "Just Folks." :)

Just sayin'. :rolleyes:

Well I'm not laboring under the assumption that Neil is living as modestly as me. I have the luxury of poverty to fuel my disdain. Of course, I'd take a coporate grant in a New York minute given the chance. I can't be taken too seriously. :D

Angeline said:
Well I'm not laboring under the assumption that Neil is living as modestly as me. I have the luxury of poverty to fuel my disdain. Of course, I'd take a coporate grant in a New York minute given the chance. I can't be taken too seriously. :D
My personae seem to be fading in and out among various manifestations. *Slaps hands, repeatedly*

My own disdain runs on biodiesel. It strives to be carbon neutral.

Please go to the I am Music thread....to jog your memories about making music...

She said
I'm hiding from the Bogey man,
as she crouched behind the stair,
if I keep myself real quiet
he'll never know I'm here.
He comes to see me most nights
with fingers cold and thin,
I cry myself to sleep when
the Bogey man's been in ...

hmmnmm said:
he feels at home when you cry and try to hide

I never thought of it like that .. I wasnt sure about posting this at all didn't know how people would react to me broaching the subject but its something that shouldnt be hidden so I went ahead with it though I must admit to a watered down ending.

hmmnmm said:
you just confirmed something I've wondered about for some time. See, on first read I didn't know much what to make of it, other than a sadness or a chill. Then another I thought I understood something else. Still another I took a personal interpretation, something close. Part of me was tempted to request clarification that my interpretation was correct, but then I realized it is best that you don't tell.
Several times I thought to clarify what a poem or two really meant, but it was best to allow them to interpret the words in the way they felt true at the moment they read.
Another key, another light.

I am trying to read it now with someone elses eyes as it were as if I hadnt written it because I thought it was obvious .. if I had put the original ending it would have been slap bang in your face but I felt that would make something tittilating that shouldnt be .. oh sure there are stories of that ilk on this site but this is a child and the child never recovers never forgets

The violence of innocence
Stolen....is silent sometimes
Obscene in it's presented
Smiles and gestures of affection.

The broken Dance of Two Unhinged
By harm done in more ways than one...
Obscenities in the secret spaces, places
Multi-layered strata in the rocks of time.

There's a little girl inside of me
that comes from long ago
taught pleasures with her body
she wasn't supposed to know.
Not violently, no force or pain
just innocence retreating
the scars hidden deep inside
the mind that took the beating.

hmmnmm said:
As my first interpretation felt.
the sadness and the pain are in both, and I as a reader feel it in both, but the Bogey man version conjured up possible symbols that I could connect to, the Bogey man for me representing sources of fears and reasons for shame that appear all so real to the imaginative. The Bogey man has many tools at his disposal, many strategies, that he can customize to suit each particular soul he delights in destroying.

Back when I struggled with straight prose I was victim to the instruction that it is the writer's duty to do all he or she can to make it clear what he or she writes about. I became hyper self-critical about it, because no matter how I tried, I couldn't comply.

Now I realize it is the writer's choice, dependent on how and what is in the works in his or her mind at any given time.

For example, you wouldn't think that an Obscene thread could be a shelter for solace and rest on the long journey towards peace.

I believe after many many years that it is the writers duty (used loosely) to do her craft with words in the best way she knows how. The interpretation is left up to the reader...unless the two start to talk on a more personal level of course. We have no control over how our words are interpreted and used by our readers in their own psyches. But isn't it interesting to hear about their interpretations?

hmmnmm said:
These explorations are incredibly interesting to me.
because we shouldn't forget about that vast territory of the unconscious.
how do we know we don't communicate more than we are aware of, that comes through to another, and how can we be certain that anothers' interpretation is not more true than we consciously meant?

I love this stuff :p

I think you are so so right! I've gotten many insights to my own writings by listening to some of my readers' interpretations...If some concepts strike me, I have this evaluative process I use (mostly subconcious) to determine if it's information I should hold onto or leave behind.

What is often the most intriguing to me is the information I balk at...but at the same time...am compelled to tuck away or face right then. *Sighs* Sometimes it ain't easy is it? But it's always an incredible ride.

:rose: :) :kiss:

hmmnmm said:
I'll even go so far to dare that the writer may be unaware of an obvious meaning. Maybe the words just look good together, and maybe later a meaning appears, that was there all along. Isn't this called sublimation? That could be the wrong term... but something like that.
Oh, and I found out where else you go. :cool:

Here is a description of the Defense Mechanisms described by psychologists. Perhaps if you look at them you will figure out which one you meant.

Where else do I go? I'm so glad you decided to talk less obscurely, hmmnmm. :)

Defense Mechanisms
Defense mechanisms protect us from being consciously aware of a thought or feeling which we cannot tolerate. The defense only allows the unconscious thought or feeling to be expressed indirectly in a disguised form. Let's say you are angry with a professor because he is very critical of you. Here's how the various defenses might hide and/or transform that anger:

Denial: You completely reject the thought or feeling.
"I'm not angry with him!"

Suppression: You are vaguely aware of the thought or feeling, but try to hide it.
"I'm going to try to be nice to him."

Reaction Formation: You turn the feeling into its opposite.
"I think he's really great!"

Projection: You think someone else has your thought or feeling.
"That professor hates me."
"That student hates the prof."

Displacement: You redirect your feelings to another target..
"I hate that secretary."

Rationalization: You come up with various explanations to justify the situation (while denying your feelings).
"He's so critical because he's trying to help us do our best."

Intellectualization: A type of rationalization, only more intellectualized.
"This situation reminds me of how Nietzsche said that anger is ontological despair."

Undoing: You try to reverse or undo your feeling by DOING something that indicates the opposite feeling. It may be an "apology" for the feeling you find unacceptable within yourself.
"I think I'll give that professor an apple."

Isolation of affect: You "think" the feeling but don't really feel it.
"I guess I'm angry with him, sort of."

Regression: You revert to an old, usually immature behavior to ventilate your feeling.
"Let's shoot spitballs at people!"

Sublimation: You redirect the feeling into a socially productive activity.
"I'm going to write a poem about anger."

** Defenses may hide any of a variety of thoughts or feelings: anger, fear, sadness, depression, greed, envy, competitiveness, love, passion, admiration, criticalness, dependency, selfishness, grandiosity, helplessness.

I am wondering where I come in that lot funny thing is when I was very unhappy the poetry used to run through my head faster than I could write it down .... when I remarried and was a blissful newlywed I had a complete block and couldn't write at all I thought I had lost it forever I had never had to force it out before and I don't think I have ever completely regained those days when poetry was my solace. It wasnt as if I was writing all sad stuff either I wrote on any subject that entered my head a lot of it amusing.

UnderYourSpell said:
I am wondering where I come in that lot funny thing is when I was very unhappy the poetry used to run through my head faster than I could write it down .... when I remarried and was a blissful newlywed I had a complete block and couldn't write at all I thought I had lost it forever I had never had to force it out before and I don't think I have ever completely regained those days when poetry was my solace. It wasnt as if I was writing all sad stuff either I wrote on any subject that entered my head a lot of it amusing.

I hear you, UYS...I don't think we grow and create "new" stuff unless we are experiencing some form of discontent/pain with the current stuff. There is no real need to do so if we are in a "satisfied" state. Most of us don't reach real hard when we're feeling ok or good! But as soon as we go off balance, we start to reach and build more neural pathways or something...lol...and our muses become more active once again. We s t r e t c h and grasp onto new hand and footholds and then have to tell the tales...one way or another. You and I and others here often use poetry to tell our tales!

:)

Back