January 2016 Challenge: See, Say, Read, Write

I think of them as stories, pacing the reading and adding inflection to try to bring the character of the piece to life.

This is the key, the story-telling, as opposed to being mechanical -- don't feel that you have to come to a dead stop at the end of every line, or otherwise mimic the visual structure of the poem. If it is metered, avoid the deadly "sing-song" reading. The point of the reading is that there is an idea buried deep within the poem, and your reading should help reveal that idea to the listener.

This is the key, the story-telling, as opposed to being mechanical -- don't feel that you have to come to a dead stop at the end of every line, or otherwise mimic the visual structure of the poem. If it is metered, avoid the deadly "sing-song" reading. The point of the reading is that there is an idea buried deep within the poem, and your reading should help reveal that idea to the listener.

That's much easier said than done. Sin and I both tried multiple takes of my Breakfast in Bed piece and neither of us could get away from it. :(

That's much easier said than done. Sin and I both tried multiple takes of my Breakfast in Bed piece and neither of us could get away from it. :(

I think that many of us were mis-educated as children about what a poem should sound like. Shakespeare wrote sonnets with long sentences that often extend across 3 or 4 lines of the poem, and if you stop at the end of every line, you kill the meaning. I have actually reformatted poems into a paragraph in an attempt to stop myself from "sing-songing."

There is, however, one productive use for the "sing-song" approach, and that is when scanning the poem for meter, as you are writing it. A number of PF&Ders have pronounced themselves baffled by meter, and I think that sometime we should have a "meter workshop" thread.

I think that many of us were mis-educated as children about what a poem should sound like. Shakespeare wrote sonnets with long sentences that often extend across 3 or 4 lines of the poem, and if you stop at the end of every line, you kill the meaning. I have actually reformatted poems into a paragraph in an attempt to stop myself from "sing-songing."

There is, however, one productive use for the "sing-song" approach, and that is when scanning the poem for meter, as you are writing it. A number of PF&Ders have pronounced themselves baffled by meter, and I think that sometime we should have a "meter workshop" thread.

Some of us adult sized children and childish adults were never educated about what a poem should sound like or poetry in general Period Full stop

And now our brains reject all forms of education.

I've enjoyed all the entries so far.

GM, I think your piece starts the thread off beautifully, and my favorite one posted so far is Mighty Mouse. I love the story in that poem, and Trix, your reading was really great. :)

GM, I think your piece starts the thread off beautifully, and my favorite one posted so far is Mighty Mouse. I love the story in that poem, and Trix, your reading was really great. :)

Thank you Calli :kiss:

There's a ditto here from me.

GM was lovely and if I weren't reading the poem along with the recording, I'm sure I would have been surprised.

Piscator! You sounded nothing like I'd imagined. Your reading is great. I'm gonna guess Angeline wrote that poem.

Trix probably is responsible for Mister Mousse, or maybe butters. LOL I think the poet just wanted to here me say "I'm wet" in truth...

And now on further thought about Meeses, Trix's poem was Mighty Mouse, so I am going to imagine (since the name Heather was used), that maybe T-zed or butters wrote both.

Brilliant poetry and wonderful readings. WOW.

GM was lovely and if I weren't reading the poem along with the recording, I'm sure I would have been surprised.

Piscator! You sounded nothing like I'd imagined. Your reading is great. I'm gonna guess Angeline wrote that poem.

Trix probably is responsible for Mister Mousse, or maybe butters. LOL I think the poet just wanted to here me say "I'm wet" in truth...

And now on further thought about Meeses, Trix's poem was Mighty Mouse, so I am going to imagine (since the name Heather was used), that maybe T-zed or butters wrote both.

Not me though I do love Phil Ochs. :)

Not me though I do love Phil Ochs. :)

I think it was Piscator; Tris Mighty Mouse, and Tzara with a little savior faire Mister Mousse.

Originally Posted by greenmountaineer View Post
I think it was Piscator; Tris Mighty Mouse, and Tzara with a little savior faire Mister Mousse.

Yup, Mighty Mouse is me, I figured that one would be pretty obvious. :D

I'm with GM on the other two.
as obvious.
Btw, great reading Piscator.

Thanks Trix.

Yes Phil Ochs is mine, as with Mighty Mouse,which fit you like a tight catsuit, I thought the authorship was obvious.

Hi, all.

I'm really pleased to see everyone's enthusiasm for this challenge. I have to apologize for some startup glitches here--I have several poems pending in my PM queue, either to post with audio or to assign to someone to record, but I (as usual) gamed my class assignment up to almost the penultimate minute (never the last, me :)) and I've been writing and revising (and writing and revising and proofreading and revising and reproof-reading) a paper that I finally sent off a full 90 minutes before its due date. (The instructor lives in Michigan, which I think is CST. If that's Eastern time, I'm still a good 30 minutes clear. Hell, James Tiberius Kirk never managed to get anything done before T minus nothing, so I am several magnitudes better than that.)

Anyway, whew!

OK, then! I'll try to start getting caught up on the backlog tomorrow.

Thanks to everyone--writers, reciters, or just plain readers--who've contributed so far.

champagne1982 said:
I think the poet just wanted to hear me say "I'm wet" in truth...
*Grumble* If I'd known that'd been all it took, I would have written a poem like that years ago.

Last edited:
Second takes

I've had some feedback that suggests some people might like to, however much they liked some Litizen's first take on reading a poem, have a go at it themselves.

So. Here's the rules:
  1. The original author has to OK it. (This should be pretty easy, if they're anything like me. Having people actually want to read your poems? I mean: functional definition of heaven.)
  2. The new link will be added to the original post for that poem. That lets readers easily compare readings. The downside is that later readings won't get noticed. I'll try to think of a clever solution for that. Suggestions encouraged.
  3. Yeah, OK. You might want to record some poem but you don't know who read it. Well, hey. You can ask me. I can try hook you up. (Just call me Pandarus, but in a nice way.)

Last edited:
I've had some feedback that suggests some people might like to, however much they liked some Litizen's first take on reading a poem, have a go at it themselves.

So. Here's the rules:
  1. The original author has to OK it. (This should be pretty easy, if they're anything like me. Having people actually want to read your poems? I mean: functional definition of heaven,
  2. The new link will be added to the original post for that poem. That lets readers easily compare readings. The downside is that later readings won't get noticed. I'll try to think of a clever solution for that. Suggestions encouraged.
  3. Yeah, OK. You might want to record some poem but you don't know who read it. Well, hey. You can ask me. I can try hook you up. (Just call me Pandarus, but in a nice way.)

Ooh, what fun! It's a hell yes for me :D

im withdrawing from any further participation in this competition, if anyone sees anything of mine they might want to voice, or vchallenge someone else to voice feel free to use any of it. and to any that may have wanted me ti read anything, I apologise

thanks amd once again
sorry all.

hmmm not sure I like rule two :p perhaps we could make that as an option? to read or own and have someone else read it ...or just have someone else read it

hmmm not sure I like rule two :p perhaps we could make that as an option? to read or own and have someone else read it ...or just have someone else read it

Rule 1 says the original author has to okay it. So, if you're concerned about someone reading your poem, just say no.

Rule 1 says the original author has to okay it. So, if you're concerned about someone reading your poem, just say no.

heh I am far from concerned about anyone voicing my poems ...there all open to who ever would wish to read or voice them ...

though I am thinking that are some people with pretty damn hot voices on here and that voice poetry like little gods and goddesses :p and half the thought in this challenge for me was to see how someone else reads my work ...I know how I read it ...and as I have noticed on the poems posted and voices already ...everyone has a different way of reading and understanding the poems ...

heh I am far from concerned about anyone voicing my poems ...there all open to who ever would wish to read or voice them ...

though I am thinking that are some people with pretty damn hot voices on here and that voice poetry like little gods and goddesses :p and half the thought in this challenge for me was to see how someone else reads my work ...I know how I read it ...and as I have noticed on the poems posted and voices already ...everyone has a different way of reading and understanding the poems ...

Ah. Your concern about the rule is pretty unclear from your post, so I misunderstood.

Back