July 2015 Challenge: The Imitation Game

Nope. I think you're No. 8, although I would feel more confident if I knew who the other challengers are. My well mannered mid-Western mother always told me to play nice in my friend's house, so I can handle the suspense until the end of the party.

Yes and it was great fun to write. I do love me some Frank O'Hara.:D

Bingo! You know me so well. :)

We won't say how many years lol.

Response poem #11 really struck a chord with me:

http://forum.literotica.com/showpost.php?p=68975047&postcount=12

In fact, I liked it more than the Larkin poem, and I'm a fan of Larkin. We all have a little bit of a child archetype in us, but I thought the Lit poet reached for something deeper.

While I may be giving credit for something unintended, the title made me think of Ginsberg's signature poem, "Howl," which would be even a starker contrast than the Larkin poem. I think that's a neat trick. The allusion, with no more than the suggestion of its title, gave even greater emphasis to "Howling." At least it did for me.

I only just now saw this. Thank you so much. [it's safe to own up now that Ange outed me.] :)

number 4 is a tour de force but I couldn't connect with it even after several tries and I haven't a clue who to tag it to. It's either an unfamiliar poet [to me] or a clever disguise.

Last edited:
:D I'm leaning towards you as the author of 10. Your compliment to me I humbly offer back, you write wonderful love poems.

And I've pegged Annie, The Queen of rhyme, for number 5 and 12. The hmour is a dead give-away. Clever and funny.

You got me ............ but there are more :)

I thought the idea - besides admiring the excellence of the poems - was to work out who wrote what. My mistake.
Well, it was, but only because I thought people liked guessing.

I'm now feeling stupid and insensitive.

But I'm used to feeling that way, so never mind. :cool:

Oh come on do you really think I'm that shallow to only like the poems of friends? I only want to know who has submitted, not who wrote what. I'm presuming that will come out in the long run.
No, I don't think you're shallow. Perhaps I have expressed myself wrong there, though that's your word and not mine. I do think that one (meaning me) would spend more time thinking about a poem I wasn't sure about that was labeled as being written by Angeline or greenmountaineer, rather than ones written by Amber_Valentine or R1ck F0rd (my wife and I watched Spy today).

And that's because I've read a number of their poems and learned that they are writers whose work, even if I don't at first understand it, is worthwhile.

As is yours.

I'm sorry if I seem cranky, which I probably do. I have a lot of "life issues" I'm dealing with now, which makes me kind of fussy.

You all have done an excellent job of guessing who wrote what without any clues from me. I may post a list of authors this weekend (or not--as I said, my life is a bit capricious right now), and I will certainly post the list of Who Wrote What in a week or two.

Again, thank all of you who have participated in the challenge, or who have responded to it.

I'm guessing either Tzara (because if I really like a poem I usually think he wrote it lol)
I'm sorry, there is no cash prize for that but there is a lifetime membership in the I Love Tzara's Poetry Auxiliary Guild. The Guild brings succor and relief to the poor and downtrodden by reading Tzara's poetry to them in place of giving them bread.

Bread can be bought at any supermarket, for mere coppers or change. Tzara's poetry, though, is bliss in a stanza. "It is difficult to get the news from poems yet men die miserably every day for lack of what is found there," said Bill Williams, who should know, as he was a doctor.

I'm sorry. I guess I'm shirking my duty. I need to write a poem or two and save this sorry world.

Has anyone said Angeline for #2?

that's the one i'd have pegged her for, mostly because of content - but unless ang's been sneaky and slipped in two pieces, she's been outed as no.8

no.10 i'd have sworn was tara OR remec

Last edited:
I can't even begin to guess on these.

But I am very amused by the cheekiness of the response to poem #18 by Grace Paley. I love Paley's short stories, I didn't even know that she wrote poetry, but it makes perfect sense given her mastery and control of language.

I might venture Trix on this one? I'm probably far from the mark... I feel like such a newb! LOL

But I am very amused by the cheekiness of the response to poem #18 by Grace Paley. I love Paley's short stories, I didn't even know that she wrote poetry, but it makes perfect sense given her mastery and control of language.

I might venture Trix on this one? I'm probably far from the mark... I feel like such a newb! LOL

Sorry Mer, I haven't submitted one yet...

Sorry Mer, I haven't submitted one yet...

I'm guessing our master of ceremonies wrote it.

Re #18 - I'll defer to your greater experience, but having in the last couple of days also read a number of HoneyAdored's poems, I wonder if it might be her tongue-in-cheek-iness coming through? Just a thought. Since we have no idea who entered, I could be way out in left field.

What do you think, gm?

Last edited:
Re #18 - I'll defer to your greater experience, but having in the last couple of days also read a number of HoneyAdored's poems, I wonder if it might be her tongu-in-cheek-iness coming through? Just a thought. Since we have no idea who entered, I could be way out in left field.

What do you think, gm?

Quite possibly, Honey Adored. I'm sure most of those who haven't yet will own up eventually.

i know H is entering a piece, and the content reminds me of his writing but i don't know if it's his. loving the imagery of it, whoever wrote it.

the other new, two longer pieces, are also so well put together i'm bordering on the envious. still can't come up with anything new for this.

i'd place 21 as tzara's. damn, i suck at this guessing. though i want to, finding the time to give all these writes the justice they deserve is hard. i'd really like to know which piece des wrote, too.

i'd place 21 as tzara's. damn, i suck at this guessing. though i want to, finding the time to give all these writes the justice they deserve is hard. i'd really like to know which piece des wrote, too.

Hmmm. That was quick. Did I leave my fingerprints on the refrigerator door or something?

Response poem #22, "Meshuge Woman," was a Cartier gem of a poem. The only quibble I have is my ear kept ringing "mess-huge," instead of the Anglicized pronunciation, me-shuga.

Now I wonder what Lit poet would make use of a Yiddish word? Hmm. Haven't a clue.

Response poem #22, "Meshuge Woman," was a Cartier gem of a poem. The only quibble I have is my ear kept ringing "mess-huge," instead of the Anglicized pronunciation, me-shuga.

Now I wonder what Lit poet would make use of a Yiddish word? Hmm. Haven't a clue.

Angeline

I agree. I was just trying to be a smartass Jersey boy, which, as Angie knows, are as common as KMart dresses that the Jersey girls tell you they bought at Saks.

I agree. I was just trying to be a smartass Jersey boy, which, as Angie knows, are as common as KMart dresses that the Jersey girls tell you they bought at Saks.

You're both meshuge cause it ain't me, babe(s).

But I really like the poem, too, which in my twisted mind means Tzara must have written it. :D

Say GM, did the natives say "KMarts" in your part of NJ? As in, "youse goin to the kmarts"? That and the three-syllable pronunciation of "Acme" ("youse goin to the Ac-uh-me") always makes me laugh.

You're both meshuge cause it ain't me, babe(s).

But I really like the poem, too, which in my twisted mind means Tzara must have written it. :D

Say GM, did the natives say "KMarts" in your part of NJ? As in, "youse goin to the kmarts"? That and the three-syllable pronunciation of "Acme" ("youse goin to the Ac-uh-me") always makes me laugh.

My 2nd guess is Tzara too, but if that's the case, I haven't a clue.

"Youse" as well as "youse guys" very common, particularly among my Italian friends. I wasn't far at all from Tony Soprano country, not the McMansion, but Valisburg, a working section of Newark within walking distance from Seton Hall where I went to college, which is where The Four Seasons with Frankie Valli came from.

I remember "Ac-uh-me" and "KMarts." "Fuckin'A" was popular. I had a friend we all nicknamed "Pinhead" who apparently thought that it was the only worthwhile adjective in the English language. I remember discreetly counting 11 times he used to the word in a minute. As I recall, he was describing what a nice summer it was.

My 2nd guess is Tzara too, but if that's the case, I haven't a clue.

"Youse" as well as "youse guys" very common, particularly among my Italian friends. I wasn't far at all from Tony Soprano country, not the McMansion, but Valisburg, a working section of Newark within walking distance from Seton Hall where I went to college, which is where The Four Seasons with Frankie Valli came from.

I remember "Ac-uh-me" and "KMarts." "Fuckin'A" was popular. I had a friend we all nicknamed "Pinhead" who apparently thought that it was the only worthwhile adjective in the English language. I remember discreetly counting 11 times he used to the word in a minute. As I recall, he was describing what a nice summer it was.

FuckinA we said that!

Also, "pock-a-book." (I'll bet relatively few here even know what that means.)

Seton Hall, eh? I was a Debbie Douglass. :D

Back