Man in tights: another British question

I appreciate what's been said about History. Eddie Izzard makes fine fun of Americans who think a 50-year old building should be considered a historical landmark. ;)

Perdita

Re: Re: Re: Re: Ha

Svenskaflicka said:
...and Svenskaflicka thinks 200:- SKR is a helluva lot of money.:(
It is - <quick mental arithmetic> - that's £36,733,084.8 in Turkey and thirty six million of anything is a lot of money.

oggbashan said:
Brits who have lived in Australia have a different perspective on distance.
Absolutely, Ogg - And obviously the same goes for Brits who've lived in the US, or travelled around continential Europe. Before I actually moved to Vermont, I'd previously spent a lot of time in the states and to me, driving from Cardiff to London was not a huge deal. Two hours. I used to drive down after work, spend an evening in the pub with my mates, then drive back.

My father, however, was horrified that I did that. "All the way to London?" My father, bless his soul, has only been outside of mainland Britian once, to my knowledge
oggbashan said:
What is old? Where I live the town is new, being a 19th century foundation, but we have Roman remains and recently uncovered a pathetic Bronze Age settlement on the site of a new housing estate. 'Pathetic' because they built in the wrong place, on a flood plain, and abandoned the settlement after a couple of years.
And again, I hear ya. My home town is Caerleon, which the Romans used as one of their major bases in South Wales. Tourists like to come and gape at the still-remaining amphitheatre. I think it somewhat destroys the magic for them when I tell them as a kid, we used to hide in the amphitheatre and make out ;)

Re: The real Sherwood

Bi Brit said:
Having lived in Nottinghamshire, Lincolnshire, County Durham, Yorkshire, Dorset, Hampshire, Birmingham (can't remember which county that's in), Wiltshire and having finally settled in Worcestershire, I must agree with Tatelou. They all have (even Birmingham) interesting historical and mythical figures.

It's not until you visit or live in other countries, such as the States or Australia, that you realise how enriching local British History is.

Good choice Tatelou, if I didn't live where I do now, I would move back to Dorset. The inland and coastal scenery is stunning and the people are generally friendly. I think you forgot Lawrence of Arabia lived, and I think was buried there.

Back to the original thread, I was born very close to the epicentre of Sherwood Forest, or maybe Sherwood copse would now be more apt. There are about half a dozen oak trees, a tacky visitor centre, and a "Centre Parc". Some of the romance has definitely dissapeared.

Ooops, sorry if there are any Americans reading this, "The forest is a vast array of fine English Oak, set in a dramatic landscape. A historical centre and luxury accommodation have been tastefully added. Please come and spend your money there."

However, I wouldn't want to trust Yorkshire with the Robin Hood legend, after the aweful hash they've made of the original magnificent Harry Ramsden's. They've turned it into a worldwide chain of glorified McDonalds.

Hiya Bi Brit!

Sorry I didn't reply sooner, I've only just seen your post.

You are right, Dorset is a beautiful county. It is steeped in history, and largely unspoilt; it's the only county in mainland Britain with no motorway. Loads of beautiful little villages and rolling countryside, and the coastline is spectacular. Part of it was recently bestowed the honour of World Heritage Site, and is called the Jurassic Coast.

You've lived in some great parts of the country, County Durham is another favourite of mine. And, Wiltshire is also beautiful, with a great deal of history and historical towns and monuments.

Btw, I loved what you said about Harry Ramsden's. Sadly, it's so true.

Lou :rose:

Tatelou,

Again I agree with you, Dorset villages are probably the finest in the country, as long as you don't mind living in somehwere with a very stange name (e.g Piddletrenthide or Puddletown). Obviously at some stage it tired them out coming up with such original names because there are two Dorset villages that lie right next to each other called "Melcombe Bingham" and "Bingham's Melcombe."

I did have job for a couple of years where 1 week a month I drove around the back lanes of Dorset and Somerset. It was absolutely idyllic and I got to meet so many eccentric people.

Unfortunately I've only been back to Dorset once in the last 5 years and that was for a really rewarding bread making course near Shaftsbury.

BB

Hi BB,

Those village names used to make me giggle as a child. I honestly thought that the river Piddle was where people round there went to toilet. :eek:

And then there's the Cerne Abbas Giant, he was always good for a laugh.

Seriously, though, I know the little lanes of Dorset and Somerset very well. I have loads of relatives in Sherborne and Yeovil, and I travel up there often to see them. It's always a very pleasant drive, whichever route I take.

Makes sense that you can go on a great bread making course near Shaftsbury. I've walked up and down the famous Hovis Hill many times. :)

Lou

Reading these posts reminds me of P. G. Wodehouse, especially the Jeeves/Bertie Wooster series. They were always going to visit an aunt or somebody in a place with one of those names. Really fun books if you haven't alreadhy them. Fun to read again, even if you have read them once.:)

Golly gee, this all makes me want to live in England. Seriously.

Perdita (thinking on retirement) :)

Hmm

We had a bit of modern history in the making today, Queen Elizabeth II visited our humble little town to officially open the new headquarters of the software firm Sophos, be upstanding, "God save the Queen". Then she tootled down the road to Oxford City, opened a kids home, then on to open the new Oxford Uni science building.

Poor bloody woman seems to spend most of her life opening new buildings or shooting Pheasants, or was it Peasant's.

Ha

perdita said:
Pops, did she remark on the bird on your shoulder?

Perdita :kiss:

She loosed off two barrells of a 12 Guage at him, missed though thank Christ:D

Hello darling how are you??:rose:

Re: Ha

pop_54 said:
Hello darling how are you??:rose:
I'm fine, love. Taking the day off, slept in late today. After reading some of the above I really want to live in a funny-named village in England. Got any near you?

love and love, Perdita :heart: :kiss:

Re: Re: Ha

perdita said:
I'm fine, love. Taking the day off, slept in late today. After reading some of the above I really want to live in a funny-named village in England. Got any near you?

love and love, Perdita :heart: :kiss:

Loads of them darling, all village names are a bit weird in some way or other, we have Kingston-Bagpuize, Toot-Baldon, Marsh-Baldon, Upper-Baldon, Lower-Baldon, Middle-Baldon, Ham, Marsh-Gibbon, you name it, we've got one called it:D :rose:

Merci, Jeanne, but how far is that from Oxford? I need to be near a pirate's cove (metaphorically speaking ;) ).

Perdita

hiya

hiya perdy darling:kiss: a long way i think hun, not that i'd know, women can't read road maps:D

Hiya, Lorri. I do love seeing your tits pop up when I'm browsing this board, always a treat.

Perdita :kiss: :heart:

giggle

perdita said:
Hiya, Lorri. I do love seeing your tits pop up when I'm browsing this board, always a treat.

Perdita :kiss: :heart:

they popped up well earlier this evening honey, up and down:devil: :D love him.

I have been inspired by this thread to go out and buy a book on British History. I chose the "People's History of Britain" by Rebecca Fraser because it focusses on the men and women who created turning points in history and therefore is not as dry as some history books. I'm only as far as the Romans and it is a really rewarding read. It will be interesting to see whether the legend of Robin Hood is touched on.

I must admit when I became a literotica member last week, I thought that it might inspire some new activity in bed, but reading history books hadn't crossed my mind.

perdita said:
Golly gee, this all makes me want to live in England. Seriously.

Perdita (thinking on retirement) :)
You might want to really think about retiring there, Perdita. Remember in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie, the first thing his Saracen friend said on landing in England was, "Is there no sun in this country?" :D

perdita said:
Merci, Jeanne, but how far is that from Oxford? I need to be near a pirate's cove (metaphorically speaking ;) ).

Perdita

Sorry for the delayed response Perdita. I haven't been myself.

Pratt's Bottom is about 80 miles from Oxford but about 4 hours by car. London is in between.

Villages close to Oxford include:

Toot Baldon and Marsh Baldon
Ickford; Piddington; Upper, Lower and Nether Wichendon
Cumnor; Delly End; Poffley End; Cutts End; Shorthampton (Hampton aka penis); Broughton Poggs;

and one for Tatelou - Kingston Bagpuize.

Jeanne

I would have thought there was only one possible place for the denizens of the Lit Fora to live in the UK.

That is, of course, the village of LOGIN.

Oh yes there is! It is on the Pembroke/Carmarthen* border just north of the A40.

*Some of us still remember the real counties of Wales.

I love the history that the UK holds, that is why it is the first place Id love to travel to if I had the money.

When asked recently where Id travel if money was no object, the first thing I said was the British Isles. I swear I lived in that time frame in a past life.

The idea of period clothing, bustieres stockings, petticoats, and of course, no panties underneath, honestly gets me going! lol

One movie that I rate high on the must see list is- Elizabeth, Hot steamy and I think very true to the way things were done in her day. Seeing the leading man in tights wasnt so bad either! lol

I would say to the folkes of Robin's home town- be thankful you dont live in my home town- you would have a holstien cow as your mascot! jeeze!
Cealy
(am I at 100 yet?)

dee1124 said:
You might want to really think about retiring there, Perdita. Remember in the Kevin Costner Robin Hood movie, the first thing his Saracen friend said on landing in England was, "Is there no sun in this country?"
Thanks Dee, but I love my San Francisco fog and do not like much sun.

Perdita :)

Back