Obviously Titles Make a Big Difference

Icingsugar said:
Since i'm not whoring for the ultimate amount of views, I'm more into wrtiting a title that is clever enough so that people, after reading the story, goes "Hey, that was a cool title."

I don't think it's "whoring" to consider attracting views when you write titles and blurbs, as long as the title/blurb doesn't mislead the prospective reader. Even if you don't write stories because of a competitive impulse, the reason you're submitting them is to reach readers.

Having said that, I think a title that makes them think "Hey, that was a cool title" is also likely to be a title that'll attract more views.

Icingsugar said:
I'm more into wrtiting a title that is clever enough so that people, after reading the story, goes "Hey, that was a cool title."

I'm not having a go Ice, I've just never heard anything so bizarre and unlikely, ever.

Gauche

Uncle Meat said:
I don't think it's "whoring" to consider attracting views when you write titles and blurbs, as long as the title/blurb doesn't mislead the prospective reader. Even if you don't write stories because of a competitive impulse, the reason you're submitting them is to reach readers.
It's not that I don't want readers, I'm just as attention craving as the next bloke. But not really knowing the traffic on this site, I had expected maybe a few hundred reads when I posted, a turnout of thousands of reads in only a few days was so overwhelming that I didn't really feel the need to design anything to attract even more of them.

Having said that, I think a title that makes them think "Hey, that was a cool title" is also likely to be a title that'll attract more views.
So everybody wins then. :)

I posted a story that with a title that I think may have hurt its readership. It was 3AM in the morning when I posted the first couple of chapters, didn't have a working title, and just used a phrase I had included at the end a chapter.

I've had feedback that indicated that readers may be avoiding the story because of the title. I would like to hear some opinions about that. It's a romantic story with a Sci Fi theme.

I named the story "Death by Fucking".

I regreted that choice almost immediately but that barn door was closed and the horse was already gone, so I've had to live with it.

People seem to avoid it because they think it is just a stroke story.

Yes. The weird thing is I've posted about 15 chapters on Literotica and there hasn't been one act of violence in the story. It is strictly a romance.

Oh, well. Those that read it appear to like it, but I suppose I scared people away.

The wrong title or a title and blurb that suggests more than the reader gets can damage the votes and feedback.

I did that with two of my early stories "Stag Party" and "Hen Party". The readers expected more than they got so I had few votes and most of the feedback was negative.

I really ought to delete them and rewrite. Perhaps after November.

Og

Back