Offend-O-Metering: U.K. vs. States

Re: Naughty Knaughty

perdita said:
Thank you, Sir (I'm being polite, NOT submissive btw).

in ripeness,
Perdita :rose:

which are the tasty bits?

Hands across the aquae

Speaking of culture-specific offendometricity, the attached would only evoke yawns in the USA.
In the spirit of International Brotherhood,
MG

That's a disgusting forgery. The Queen Mum (gor bless 'er) was far too refined to spill food.

And if she did she'd have someone to clean it up quick as a flash and put D-notices on the pictures.

Yep

Rainbow Skin said:
That's a disgusting forgery. The Queen Mum (gor bless 'er) was far too refined to spill food.

And if she did she'd have someone to clean it up quick as a flash and put D-notices on the pictures.

You're right, of course.
MG

Mum, dearest

MG: I think the juxtaposition of BS's AV under yours is a bit offensive (no offense to the Deep South though).

So just what good is an Offend-O-meter if this thread goes on like this? O, forgot, KM said Ogg invented the term.

Hmmm, I think DG had something to do w/the Juxt-O-position.

Your Godmum, Perdita

Royalty

The British Royal Family has been a target for satire for hundreds of years.

As Henry VIII I would have chopped a few heads off. Now satire is ignored or worse, the Royals have been known to buy original cartoons to put on their Palace walls (perhaps in the Garderobe).

It is still High Treason to suggest that the institution of Royalty should be abolished. Personally I think that having someone as Head of State who has NEVER been a politician is a good idea.

We don't have impeachment trials for Heads of State any more. We used to chop their heads off but in 1936 we just asked the King to leave because he wanted to marry a divorced woman. That she was a US citizen was irrelevant. He was the Head of the Church of England so couldn't marry a divorced woman. Not like me as Henry VIII. I didn't marry any divorced women but they married a divorced man. I took my role as Head of the Church seriously. If I was The Church and The State, what I said was the law, civil and ecclesiastical. It was also very nice to have a third of the wealth of my Kingdom back and not have to pay anything to the Pope or have to send lawyers to Rome.

Most of us in England are not offended by satire against the Royal Family. It is very offensive to some in Northern Ireland.

We are also not too displeased about satire against US Presidents.

Unfortunately some of the French media do go too far against Queen and President, perhaps because they can't criticise their politicians as freely as people can in the US or UK. Other countries' leaders are fair game but not their own. Odd.

No longer treason. The Law Lords ruled yesterday that the Treason Felony Act 1848 can not survive the Human Rights Act 1998, and a prosecution would unquestionably fail.

Yay! William for president.

Re: Royalty

oggbashan said:
The British Royal Family has been a target for satire for hundreds of years.

Dear Og,
As you readily admit, you're long winded. I like information (of all kinds), and you are always, unfailingly informational. Not only that, it's good humored and, above all, CORRECT.
MG
Ps. I'd often wondered why Eddie was ejected from the throneship. I never knew that the king was head of the Church of England.
Pps. I've also wondered why Eddie married a guy named Wallace.

Last edited:
Originally posted by MathGirl
I've also wondered why Eddie married a guy named Wallace.
I think it was really because he liked his dog, whose name was Grommit.

Royalty

Gabriel_Lee said:
I think it was really because he liked his dog, whose name was Grommit.

Dear GL,
Now I'm confused. Was Grommet Wally's dog or Eddie's? What breed of dog was Grommet? If he was a beagle, it all makes sense.
MG

I'm going to bed.

Grommet, Wallaces dog ... breed uncertain ... I am not a whizz wiv History, but if I go to bed my ignorance will be hidden and unconscious ... goodnight.

GL

Re: Re: Royalty

MathGirl said:
Dear Og,
Pps. I've also wondered why Eddie married a guy named Wallace.

It was lurve. He gave up his throne to marry Wallis. Why? Was she worth it?

His predecessors were quite happy with a harem of mistresses.

Og (short for once).

Rainbow Skin said:
No longer treason. The Law Lords ruled yesterday that the Treason Felony Act 1848 can not survive the Human Rights Act 1998, and a prosecution would unquestionably fail.

Yay! William for president.

The prosecution might fail but that would necessarily stop our magnificient Crown Prosecution Service from bring such a prosecution. Why should it? They bring other hopeless prosecutions.

The law still says it is treason. It also says other stupid things such as buying former glebe land means you have to rebuild the local church even though you haven't had any rights or payments since the 1930s. And locally, you are not allowed on the beach unless you are wearing a "university" swimming costume which has three inch arms and legs, even if you are male. That even applies on the nudist beach.

Thanks MG for the vote of confidence.

Og

Technically speaking you can still get the death penalty for three crimes in England: Treason (which could include sticking a stamp on upside down), regicide and blowing up Manchester docks. ever wonder why the IRA never go for Manchester?

The Earl

Death penalty

The UK death penalty was totally abolished in 1998.

The horrible history makes interesting reading. In 1800 the 200+ capital offences included being in the company of gypsies for one month, and "strong evidence of malice" in children aged 7-14 years of age.

In 1861 the peacetime offences had been reduced to four: murder, treason, arson in royal dockyards and piracy with violence. The Murder (Abolition of the Death Penalty) Act 1965 was made permanent in 1969 (GB) and 1973 (NI). The remaining three anomalies were covered by the Crime and Disorder Act 1998, and the Human Rights Act 1998 dealt with military wartime offences such as mutiny and aiding the enemy.

http://www.amnesty.org.uk/action/camp/dp/intro/uk.html
http://www.pro.gov.uk/inthenews/Capital-Pun/capi-1.htm

It's even illegal to extradite someone to a country where they could face the death penalty (such as the USA).

And about launching treason prosecutions: I should have added that the Law Lords' decision specifically stated that a prosecutor would look ridiculous trying. - Hm, Lord Haw Haw was prosecuted under the Treason Act 1351 (Oops, I'm three pages into a Hansard - these debates can be quite interesting.)

Last edited:
Damned Englishers

I make an honest attempt to offend a small but vocal minority by posting an insulting picture of a universally beloved figure. What do I get? A discussion of British jurisprudence.

I try so hard........... sigh............

MG

Ps. $%^$&^%*&!!

Re: Damned Englishers

MathGirl said:
$%^$&^%*&!!
MG: If it helps, I was personally offended. I hate reminders of growing old and that was a nasty one. Where's Princess Di when we really need her?

young-at-:heart: Perdita

Arson

Her Majesty's Dockyard at Portsmouth still has an operational scaffold if you want to test the law by trying to commit arson.

It is in a storehouse erected by order of Henry VIII. I had to spend the money I appropriated from the Church on something.

Og.

PS. You could always appeal against the sentence, post mortem.

Roof roof

Rainbow Skin said:
I'm three pages into a Hansard - these debates can be quite interesting.)

Dear RS,
Isn't that some kind of roof? How the hell do you read one of those?
Querously,
MG

Back