Pending Stories

Finally got a response:

"We appreciate the effort you put into your work. We've checked this work several times and it is still coming back as being composed largely of AI-generated prose."

This confirms they use some kind of checker. Those are so flawed, that is so annoying.

Incredible. Seven stories written, submitted. All rejected for AI. I’ve only used Grammarly to help with things like dialogue.

Seven rejected in one go is incredible.
I honestly think Grammarly and other writing aid programs are overrated, but the idea that using those programs makes your prose AI-generated is BS. Does Literotica even have rules about AI-generated stories? What rules are they enforcing?

I honestly think Grammarly and other writing aid programs are overrated, but the idea that using those programs makes your prose AI-generated is BS. Does Literotica even have rules about AI-generated stories? What rules are they enforcing?
I don’t know but I have re-submitted with a note on the use of Grammarly.

If they don’t get through again I will just go elsewhere, it’s been some fun but not getting to publish even one chapter of physically around 150,000 words written since the turn of the year is hilarious and depressing.

This is their AI policy: https://literotica.com/faq/publishing/publishing-ai

What's interesting, is the AI rejection notes say you can use Grammarly sparingly, and yet people are getting rejected simply for using it for grammar errors, which is supposed to be allowed.

I didn't use it for Part 4 of my work and it got put up so I didn't use it for Part 5, but got rejected anyway despite not putting it through any sort of writing aid program.

That's where a lot of the confusion is coming from. They're contradicting themselves with the rejections and then we're not getting responses to our issues.
Thanks for linking to this! It sounds like the moderators don't know what they're doing when it comes to AI, and it doesn't seem like they can tell whether or not something actually had any AI input, or the tools they're using to detect AI influence aren't fit for purpose.

Amazon KDP instituted a new policy last year in which you have to give details about whether you used AI to create your ebook and how much editing you did afterwards, that includes generating the story itself, translating it, and creating the cover. The stated purpose is to gather information on how authors use those tools - knowing Amazon, it's probably so they can offer a similar service themselves and ban the use of competing programs.

Oh no! I posted my last story yesterday - the wait is already agonizing. I sincerely hope it doesn't take more than the usual 48 hours.

My story was sent back with this generic message:

Dear Writer,
Thank you for your submission to Literotica. We appreciate the time and effort you've taken to write a story and submit it to our site . However, we've found that we cannot post your submission in its current form. The checklist below may help you in re-examining your manuscript.​
  • Are you using Grammarly, ProWritingAid, Quillbot or a similar software? Many modern writing packages incorporate AI. If you are using a grammar check program sparingly (as a spellcheck, to fix punctuation, review grammar, and/or occasionally as a thesaurus), that should be fine. If you are allowing a grammar check program to “rewrite” your words, that may cross the line into AI generated text/stories. Please see this FAQ for more information: https://literotica.com/faq/publishing/publishing-ai
Please feel free to re-submit the story after a Volunteer Editor has examined it, or after you've made revisions. You can find a list of Volunteer Editors here.
Please consult our Writer's Resources section and make sure you read our submission guidelines.
If you have any questions on these, please let us know.
Thanks for your time, and look forward to reading you again!
Laurel & Manu
Literotica.Com​

So, annoying.
I compose on ZOHO, which has a decent grammar/spell check. It also points out overly lengthy and passive sentences, but doesn’t provide a rewrite alternative. Just prompts me to do something if in choose to.

My story has been pending since the 17th, the longest I have ever had a story pending. Maybe a thread where we can keep each other updated on waiting times. Does anybody have a longer pending story now?

Is a week bad? I've never had a week before.
I've had some published as quickly as 2 days, and I have had one or two that took 8-9 days. I wouldn't mind as much, if I didn't see some authors getting a story published daily, on occasion, even TWO stories in one day.

I compose on ZOHO, which has a decent grammar/spell check. It also points out overly lengthy and passive sentences, but doesn’t provide a rewrite alternative. Just prompts me to do something if in choose to.
My single biggest complaint is, they never give a reason. I go through my stories (After the first couple, where I DID make a lot of mistakes) at least three times, making sure I haven't violated a rule. I love the site, but it can get frustrating. ESPECIALLY, when I read stories that are full of things that aren't permitted.

Maybe more stories would get through quicker if the site favs weren't clogging the submission file with endless 750 word stories that go right to the top of the list because its a 'contest'

Maybe more stories would get through quicker if the site favs weren't clogging the submission file with endless 750 word stories that go right to the top of the list because its a 'contest'
If Laurel didn't sanction the event they wouldn't be given priority for approval. Nevermind that the Valentines contest (which is an actual money contest) just wrapped up.

Oh no! I posted my last story yesterday - the wait is already agonizing. I sincerely hope it doesn't take more than the usual 48 hours.
48 hours - I’ve had to wait nearly two weeks on one chapter! 48 hours? If I’d had that, maybe I’d have a chapter published by now?

The disparity in treatment of different writers stories is incredible. Less than 48 hours?

I’m still waiting - more than 48 hours now.
There is a "disparity" between putting the story in the lit box...and uploading a document.

I know because I posted two stories on the same day with different methodologies. One took 48 hours the other 4-5 days.

There is a "disparity" between putting the story in the lit box...and uploading a document.

I know because I posted two stories on the same day with different methodologies. One took 48 hours the other 4-5 days.
So if I use a document instead of copy/pasting into the lit box, this should work?

The box is quicker than the document!
It just feels pretty hopeless at the moment. I’ve got a piece here that would be okay for an eighth chapter, this hasn’t gone through grammarly yet. I might just post it and see what happens.

It just feels pretty hopeless at the moment. I’ve got a piece here that would be okay for an eighth chapter, this hasn’t gone through grammarly yet. I might just post it and see what happens.
My bit of advice DON'T use Grammerly.

My bit of advice DON'T use Grammerly.
Right, but do I do a complete rewrite on otherwise fine stories? Grammar and all?

I literally use it just for punctuation and spelling errors. No major rewriting, all of it is me.

So correcting spelling and commas is a story written by AI? Like, how does that make any sense?
The common theme is "I use Grammerly for x, y , z and but not a, b, c and it's getting rejected"?

It seems that certain words trigger the AI rejection. However, this is pure speculation. No one knows what gets a story kicked, too many adjectives, strange words, or too many unique words?

IDK! The only person he can say, this, that, or the other, will get you bounced, is mute on the subject. How the determination is made isn't defined. Until someone (Laurel) gives us an idea of what AI looks like, we're in the dark with nothing but a dim candle to guide us.

Back