Random things you've made up for your stories

So many.

My most prolific is Secret Whispers, the VS analogue at which all my discriminating female characters purchase their underthings. When I need an InstaTwitPageFaceSpace analogue, my characters use Pixboox.
Victoria's Secret Station; a railroad car-themed restaurant where discerning patrons eat rare prime rib in their lingerie.

The most complicated thing is the temporal mechanics in Time Rider. The rules of time travel. You can NOT change history, you can only underwrite the perception of it.

You can't kill your own father before you were born. If you do, he wasn't really your father, it turns out.

You can't kill Hitler by shooting him, since we know he died by poison. Buuuuut, you can sneak into his bedroom at night for several weeks in a row, putting his hand in warm water and making him wet the bed until he takes cyanide in despair.

You can never break the rules, but if you're very clever, you can sometimes get around them.

So that whole gigantic set of rules took a lot to work out, and I constantly need to check them to make sure I ain't breaking them in my writing.

Last edited:
If they laugh I'll tell them Roxbury is cooler than them.
Mattapan and Upham's Corner are cool too. Anybody remember when the Orange Line used to pass through Dudley and the Green Line went all the way out to Arborway?

Nanobots - depending on their programming they can augment damaged spinal columns giving the paralyzed the ability to use paralyzed limbs, they can act as replacement muscles, they can change facial features allowing the user to look like someone else, and they network together and create an artificial intelligence and can connect to the internet via they user's cell phone.
I've introduced nanobots, but well... considering they were the 'weapons' used when terrorists attacked Stonehenge (although the officials don't yet know that was what was used) they're not purely a good thing. The phrase 'invisible death cooties' has been used.

A large, abandoned church taken over by a motorcycle gang. During a Halloween party it burned down from a fire caused by a sex cult being interrupted in the middle of a planned human sacrifice.

A restaurant that was the scene of drug trafficking, robbery and kidnapping.

Not to mention the aliens who want to come to Earth because their home star was attacked by other aliens, causing it to go supernova... and the body-stealing energy-being aliens they accidentally brought with them.

Not that much, actually. Apart from people (and one immortal being who feeds on intense thoughts, ideally sexual ones), most of my places are real. There's an Indian take-away called the Raj that's used by characters in multiple stories; it's somewhere in Bermondsey. But there's a dozen Indians within half a mile in reality so it's not exactly a stretch. Characters talk about real TV shows. A friend read one of my stories and laughed because I'd used the names of her and partner as people who lived near my main characters. I admitted I'd had a lack of inspiration making up names for people living 10 min walk away from what is clearly my own house!

One I'm working on has a small hotel in Harlem change from being family-friendly in reality to having a small friendly BDSM club in the cellar. Also my scientists work in a general area of molecular biology that's unspecified, and have won various made-up awards and been funded by nonexistent organisations to go to fictional conferences, to ensure none of them could be deemed to be real people.

Mattapan and Upham's Corner are cool too. Anybody remember when the Orange Line used to pass through Dudley and the Green Line went all the way out to Arborway?
I'm not from the area, my wife is, however if there's rough inner city neighborhood in RI/MA I've been there.

I still shake my head whenever we visit her step mother and see they built all those luxury condos in Chelsea.

And we'd be remiss not to mention Dorchester

I'm not from the area, my wife is, however if there's rough inner city neighborhood in RI/MA I've been there.

I still shake my head whenever we visit her step mother and see they built all those luxury condos in Chelsea.

And we'd be remiss not to mention Dorchester
I've had a number of friends and family who have lived in the Boston area over the last fifty-four years or so, which was when I was first there. I've certainly been on almost all of the transit lines, including a few that don't exist any longer.

Chelsea used to be rather run-down. I think a portion of the downtown area was destroyed in a huge fire in the 1970s.

You got me wondering how many fictional towns I have scattered across the state of Maine.

Londonderry (Mary and Alvin)
Webster/Webster's Corner (The Dancing Ghost of Webster's Gore)
Saw Whet, Beartown, Merganser Pond, Reed's Corner (The Adventures of Ranger Ramona)
Port Harmony (Oyster River)
MikMak Falls, Winterboro (WIP)

I'm catching up to Stephen King...

I pulled up a random story once while I was in another small town (Fort Bragg, CA), waiting for someone else who was late for our appointment. The story happened to take place at a nude beach just north of Fort Bragg!

I messaged the writer, letting him know I was in the area for a project. He messaged me back the same day, saying "Oh wow! I've been there once... Sorry, the nude beach is fictional."

😢

:LOL:

Victoria's Secret Station; a railroad car-themed restaurant where discerning patrons eat rare prime rib in their lingerie.

My made-up breastaurant is called Cheeks & Co. The waitresses wear thongs with aprons in front.

The Lefay coven and their history

The Circle 12 groups featuring 12 members each (6 men 6 women) around the country who are all wealthy powerful dominants. In my mind the 12x12 is a play on the 12 tribes 12000 each of whom are going to heaven(imagine only 144k people saved throughout history...picky)

The Revenants, a group of highly trained assassins from around the world who through various circumstances are all presumed dead and the powerful people they work for have completely erased their prior identities from the system.

The Vitelli cartel in Chicago.

What can I say, I like creating happy things.

That's not a breastaurant, it's a fesses-taurant. (fesses being the French word for buttocks).
Alas.

Generally, my characters are far too stupid to know colloquial French.

It wasn't the best story; I've mentioned the restaurant a few more times in other stories, but I'm not sure I'll ever "go back" there.

This is a fun discussion prompt.

In Friday Night Movie in the Dorm, I made up a college. I like college stories and I plan to write a bunch. They are all going to be set in the same place. They won't be chapters, but a world that will slowly expand as I get ideas in my head onto pages. Some of the stories may continue the tale of one of the students, but each will be self-contained. Probably readers won't even realize there is an expanding universe unless they care to read other stories I write.

Most of my stories are based off real places I have been (or know a lot about). I tend to anonymize them so I can take liberties or make mistakes, but most of it is not completely fake.

You got me wondering how many fictional towns I have scattered across the state of Maine.

Saw Whet, Beartown, Merganser Pond, Reed's Corner (The Adventures of Ranger Ramona)

Did you create a new Londonderry or did you move the one from New Hampshire a few miles North East

(BTW I know from long, long experience that the Londonderry Head End in Londonderry NH controls all the Comcast cable in Maine)

I've always had the idea that there is somebody in a Maine Multiverse who is having the Mandela Effect from Stephen King's towns showing up on them as he's writing. Like on their way to work going down the highway and there is an Exit for Castle Rock. Now you're adding to it?

I'm a Stephen King fan and keep telling myself I need to go have a visit to get an idea what it's like there. But I don't want to end up like the couple in Rainy Season... I guess I'll stay home.

Did you create a new Londonderry or did you move the one from New Hampshire a few miles North East

(BTW I know from long, long experience that the Londonderry Head End in Londonderry NH controls all the Comcast cable in Maine)
It's a mash up of midcoast towns, but it's more or less Belfast, particularly in its location. So, Belfast...Londonderry.

I've always had the idea that there is somebody in a Maine Multiverse who is having the Mandela Effect from Stephen King's towns showing up on them as he's writing. Like on their way to work going down the highway and there is an Exit for Castle Rock. Now you're adding to it?

I'm a Stephen King fan and keep telling myself I need to go have a visit to get an idea what it's like there. But I don't want to end up like the couple in Rainy Season... I guess I'll stay home.

Well, I used to live on Ohio Street in Bangor (which is Kansas Street in IT), and I'd walk by the King's house sometime.

They have a tour bus that goes around to all the locations cited in his books. You ought to take a tour sometimes. Almost everybody comes back.

In one of my Loving Wives stories 'Sister-In-Law Surveillance' which I wrote in 2021 and is set in Adelaide, South Australia the brother's philandering wife is a vapid attention seeker social media influencer, who before she was married was on a reality TV show. I created a fictional reality show for her to be in, which involved singles on a cruise ship trying to find love.

Next month a new reality TV show is debuting in Australia, 'The Real Love Boat Australia', which is about singles trying to find love on a luxury cruise ship. Talk about freaky.

In one of my Loving Wives stories 'Sister-In-Law Surveillance' which I wrote in 2021 and is set in Adelaide, South Australia the brother's philandering wife is a vapid attention seeker social media influencer, who before she was married was on a reality TV show. I created a fictional reality show for her to be in, which involved singles on a cruise ship trying to find love.

Next month a new reality TV show is debuting in Australia, 'The Real Love Boat Australia', which is about singles trying to find love on a luxury cruise ship. Talk about freaky.
If there's something cringe, then you can guarantee that Ten and Prime will try and compete on it. They've both had some truly awful reality TV shows aired over the years. Prime is apparently in pre-auditions for their own dating-on-a-boat show... At least it means no more Bachelorette.

If there's something cringe, then you can guarantee that Ten and Prime will try and compete on it. They've both had some truly awful reality TV shows aired over the years. Prime is apparently in pre-auditions for their own dating-on-a-boat show... At least it means no more Bachelorette.
Don't bet on it. I'm sure someone is thinking about "The Amazing Bachelorette Love Chef." 🙄

And dancing strictly.

Something new to add to the BDSM category.

Back