Recognition for New Poets

And what are we to do with this info, Dearheart? Is this a Challenge? It'd be a good one...

BooMerengue said:
Yes, I do. I'm trying one as we speak. It ain't great, but it's ok. lol

lol, i'm sure it's wonderful ~ can't wait to read it... :)

Very first attempt. May we add extra words if necessary?

Mountain
dark, craggy
looming, shuddering, hiding
cloud songs and sibilant winds
keening, wailing, killing
golden waved
prairie

BooMerengue said:
Very first attempt. May we add extra words if necessary?

Mountain
dark, craggy
cloud songs and sibilant winds
golden waved
prairie

Oh I love it Boo, great first attempt! Now wouldn't adding extra words be cheating?... :D

Jennifer C said:
Oh I love it Boo, great first attempt! Now wouldn't adding extra words be cheating?... :D

Well, it could be cheating, or it could be what I call breaking the rules for poetry's sake. When I first started writing poems I followed the rules rigidly. After awhile my friends here explained to me that knowing the rules well enabled you to break them. You probably don't know, but others do- I'm not a fan of free verse though I've seen many I like and have written a few that were decent myself. I prefer the rigors of form, so it was hard to break away. But I'm trying to apply a motto I use in other areas of my life- "You can't color outside the lines well until you learn to color in them."

So... I'm going to look for examples and see if others (meaning the famous poets) have broken the rules on this form.

Its funny, too, because the words I would add here are the very words I would normally cut right out of a poem... 'and', 'for' etc. lol

BooMerengue said:
Well, it could be cheating, or it could be what I call breaking the rules for poetry's sake. When I first started writing poems I followed the rules rigidly. After awhile my friends here explained to me that knowing the rules well enabled you to break them. You probably don't know, but others do- I'm not a fan of free verse though I've seen many I like and have written a few that were decent myself. I prefer the rigors of form, so it was hard to break away. But I'm trying to apply a motto I use in other areas of my life- "You can't color outside the lines well until you learn to color in them."

So... I'm going to look for examples and see if others (meaning the famous poets) have broken the rules on this form.

Its funny, too, because the words I would add here are the very words I would normally cut right out of a poem... 'and', 'for' etc. lol

well i'm always up for a little rule breaking... :D let me know if you find any other's who have broken the rules on this form and then we will see... :rose:

Jennifer C said:
well i'm always up for a little rule breaking... :D let me know if you find any other's who have broken the rules on this form and then we will see... :rose:

Well, heres a bunch of samples, but I didn't see any rule breaking...

Diamonte

and my rewrite...

Mountain
dark, craggy
cloud songs, sibilant winds
golden waved
Prairie​

BooMerengue said:
Well, heres a bunch of samples, but I didn't see any rule breaking...

Diamonte

and my rewrite...

Mountain
dark, craggy
cloud songs, sibilant winds
golden waved
Prairie​

Great examples, thanks Boo, nice rewrite... :rose:

and no rule breaking... :p

Jennifer C said:
Great examples, thanks Boo, nice rewrite... :rose:

and no rule breaking... :p

Now where's yours? C'monnn... you started it. I'm waiting...

*tapping fingers

okay this is a really quick draft coz i'm now off to eat!... :D

Love
special, rare
wishing, hoping, praying
joy, happiness, pain, anguish
lonely, empty
Hurt...

Just to show i've had a go, it's corny as hell!...lol

Will have a proper go later... :rose:

Jennifer C said:
okay this is a really quick draft coz i'm now off to eat!... :D

Love
special, rare
wishing, hoping, praying
joy, happiness, pain, anguish
lonely, empty
Hurt...

Just to show i've had a go, it's corny as hell!...lol

Will have a proper go later... :rose:

You left out the 5th line. :)

Cool! Let me try!

I
Am at
A loss to
Know what it is
That creates an
Ego and
Id​

Tristesse said:
I
Am at
A loss to
Know what it is
That creates an
Ego and
Id​

I like that Tris, but it doesn't fit the rules. And ya gotta do da rules... Jen said so! She won't even let me cheat. :rose:

ahhh diamonte! I wrote a computer program to teach kids how to write them, then gave cues to enter the words... printed them out all pretty at the end! Oh I was such a geek for a while there. eh hem,

I might try this again....

Used to have my students write these about topics we were learning about in science :)

Jennifer C said:
Diamonte:

Diamonte poems are easy poems to write. You need to think of a subject and its opposite and then follow the format listed below:

First line: one word (subject).

Second line: two adjectives describing the subject

Third line: three words ending in -ing telling about the subject

Fourth line: four words, the first two describe the subject and the last two describe its opposite

Fifth line: three words ending in -ing telling about the opposite

Sixth line: two adjectives describing the opposite

Seventh line: one word (opposite from the first line)

BooMerengue said:
I like that Tris, but it doesn't fit the rules. And ya gotta do da rules... Jen said so! She won't even let me cheat. :rose:

I'm a rebel.

:D

*waits for Jen*

Tristesse said:
I'm a rebel.

:D

*waits for Jen*

And this is EXACTLY why you can never get a 4.50. YOU NEED TO KISS ASS! Mine especially, or Taths, whatever the preference :D

(and I know you know I am teasing you ... TO BUMP this thread!)

BooMerengue said:

Rules are there for a reason a Boo... :D

CharleyH said:
And this is EXACTLY why you can never get a 4.50. YOU NEED TO KISS ASS! Mine especially, or Taths, whatever the preference :D

(and I know you know I am teasing you ... TO BUMP this thread!)

Thank you Charley... :D

angels
sublimely peaceful
singing, praising, shining
winged white, hellish black
crying, cursing, suffering
tortuous hateful
demons​

champagne1982 said:
angels
sublimely peaceful
singing, praising, shining