Savouring versus Inhaling...

MathGirl said:
Dear Perdita, Can I borrow your latest "Readers' Digest Condensed Books" when you're done with it?

Double, double, toil and trouble...

My spell on you takes effect at midnight. I suggest you not be in a vehicle or higher than 12" from the ground.

Perdita de Dunsinane :devil:

The ones that grab, I keep, and will revisit repeatedly. I am a voracious reader, but I'll reject any that don't have me engaged within the first third.

It's mostly the stories themselves that catch me. I will re-read favorites several times, and after a while can see why the particular scene was set in whatever way, but my initial pass is for the characters and the plot.

I have struggled with some of the "classics", but I have found some treasures that have become "mine" simply due to them being on the "You Must Read This" list. Thank-you to the eighth grade lit classes :)

Of course, I also had to pick up a couple of Terry Pratchett's due to recommendations here, so my hat is off to MG, too ;)

Sailor

perdita said:
Ice, I 'read' you. When I listen to my favorite music it's as if I have no skin; at times as if I have no body. Nothing comes close to that, not even my most beloved literature.

Perdita

Yeah, it's kinda neat, isn't it? :)

But there is also a noteworthy difference here. When rereading a book (seldom happens, since there is always something new to read instead) I'm again more on an analytical level, soaking up all the clerverness, beauty and wit out of the text. It was there all along, since that is part of what made it a great piece of literature, but you don't really notice the technicalities when you live the story the first time.

Re: Re: great stories and great language

Just_John1 said:

I struggle with the "classics" on a regular basis. I always have... I think it has something to do with getting my wrist slapped with a wooden ruler when I told the headmaster that the old man and the sea was boring. I've been rebelious ever since.

1.- Oh, I'm with you. I think it is.
2.- Even if not, that's your call to decide, as long as you actually read it. That headmaster was an intellectual fop. Can't stand those.

You knew the guy!!!!

British accent, always said "you can't get Hoooooked on drugs" and was the best example of why kids did drugs to start with... if you're what its like not being hoooooked on drugs then maybe I should try them...

I always wondered where the term "head master" came from... made me wonder about those private one on one "chats" he used to have with the biology professor. Oh god... dark memories from a dark past. Anyway! back to the classics... I did enjoy catch 22... it fit my mood.

JJ1

SlickTony said:
I tend to read a book I like the way a cow eats grass: I gulp it all down and sort of bring it up and chew on it later.

ST-

Vivid image.. thanks, I think. ;)

JJ-

Bridge is fine, it is what it gets shortened to most frequently. BK is the one I really don't care for, makes me think of really bad fast food.

I am rereading the Honor Harrington series by David Weber, desperate for the next novel. When it comes out, beware, I will check out of reality until I have inhaled the whole thing.

:rose: b

Really depends what I'm reading.

If I'm reading Pratchett, I laugh at the jokes and the dialogue. If I'm reading Gibson, (Early Gibson, anyway) I let his kaleidoscopic flow of words wash over me. If I'm reading 'high adventure', I just read it for the plot, desperate to know what happens next.

I read brutally fast anyway (8 seconds per page on an average paperback novel), so I don't really think I ever savour anything.

Icingsugar said:
But there is also a noteworthy difference here. When rereading a book (seldom happens, since there is always something new to read instead) I'm again more on an analytical level, soaking up all the clerverness, beauty and wit out of the text. It was there all along, since that is part of what made it a great piece of literature, but you don't really notice the technicalities when you live the story the first time.
Cool Sugar, just another noteworthy diff re. reading and listening to music (like LvB), I also hear more at times but it's not analytical ever. I can't explain how it happens but it usually comes from a 'new' time.

I've played Brahms' symphonies for days on end at times. Once several years ago I went to hear the first in concert and became so physically attuned to the sounds that three notes in one movement came into me like the penetration of a new man's cock. It was as if I had never heard them before. I hear them now as I type. Amazing. I love those three notes as if they were physical entities or persons I met. I'll be able to fuck them for the rest of my life.

calming down now, Perdita

For me, its an ecletic mix of Scherezade, Tommy Emmanuelle, Santana, Stravinsky, Ottmar Liebert, Lizt, Vangelis, Beethoven (on the piano), Bach (on the organ), Trans-Siberian Orchestra, etc.

Favorite pop-song (for the lyrics): Get Over It - The Eagles (well, okay, I Really like The Hotel California too.

Favorite time to listen to music (24/7)

I get lost in the mix of reading and writing and good music whilst in the throes (any kind of).

R.D.Condensed Books

Originally posted by perdita My spell on you takes effect at midnight. I suggest you not be in a vehicle or higher than 12" from the ground.
Dear Perdita,
Can I take that as an affirmative? Oh, good. I'll be watching the mail.
MG
Ps. I have my new Pratchett novel here, and I've read the first two pages. I want to make it last at least two days, so I'll be spending lots of time running and making a general pest of myself on here.
Pps. I know, I know, that last part is sort of a given.

FF, good call there on 'Get Over It' .. Everyone knows the Eagles always wanted to be rock 'n rollers, just that the suits-who-call-the-shots wanted country...

You just need to listen to the stuff Glenn and Don threw out post-Eagles and songs like 'Get Over It' to realize that that's where their hearts always were.

Wife turns on Dr. Phil, I turn on Hell Freezes Over.

s'ok tho - neighbors decide to party till 2 in the morning, she gets up the next day and starts playing the 1812 Overture with Cannon at several decibles above what is needed.

I like it. Gets me marching to my work with anticipation that I will win that day. (Ases Death some evenings when I lose)

Back