Story Introductions

I'm guilty of writing one introduction in my first eight stories for submission. It was my very first story "The Perfect Physique" in which I noted to the reader that this was my first attempt at a short story, having generally written stuff a lot longer. As such I asked for feedback on how the reader generally took to the story and whether it was still a little too long to be considered a "short story."

I agree with some people here that I roll my eyes everytime I read the line "this actually happened" or "based on a true story."
To me that is the first hint that the story isn't totally true, and frankly I care not whether it is true. That may startling to the writer but to me that's their own business, as a reader I just want to read a good story. If it has the added element of truth so be it, it's not like I'll ever meet the characters in real life ....

Of course I have to admit that in my new episodic series I'm putting an author's note at the starting of each episode, but that is more to alert the reader to the fact that this is an episodic series and thus can be read in any order they choose. Nothing more ....

Back to writing ...

Fly ...

Back