Story VS descriptions

I don't think there is a right answer. There's no one right way to write because there's no one type of reader.

Personally when reading I tend to just skip long descriptive passages. They rarely hold my interest and few people write them well. If I never again read a description that recites height, hair colour and breast size like a shopping list it's still far too soon.

I like dialogue, characterisation and premise and fill in descriptive blanks with my imagination. Others love description though.

There is a theory that every word in a story should move it forward. But what is meant by that? Reading should have some amount of pleasure beyond getting from point A to D... Some word pictures are necessary, and others probably are not. Leaving some amount of the story to the reader allows them to plug in whatever element their mind cares to add to the story. Drop dead gorgeous paints one picture to one person and another to someone else. Sometimes that's all you need. Other times, a certain amount of minutia might be necessary. I think every writer has to determine what is the right amount for their story of any descriptions. I have always struggled with how much is enough and at what point is what I deem enough well more than enough.

There is a theory that every word in a story should move it forward. But what is meant by that? Reading should have some amount of pleasure beyond getting from point A to D... Some word pictures are necessary, and others probably are not. Leaving some amount of the story to the reader allows them to plug in whatever element their mind cares to add to the story. Drop dead gorgeous paints one picture to one person and another to someone else. Sometimes that's all you need. Other times, a certain amount of minutia might be necessary. I think every writer has to determine what is the right amount for their story of any descriptions. I have always struggled with how much is enough and at what point is what I deem enough well more than enough.
I agree. I can usually tell on the third or forth readthrough. If I find myself wanting to skip over a certain part, be it descriptive or action, then it might be superfluous and a candidate for rewrite or removal.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback and comments so far.

My goal is to put the final edit on it today and submit tonight.

I think it has enough description where needed, especially of characters. The physical settings / surroundings are secondary mostly, not much in any of them is integral to the story itself so it's those that wind up more bare bones.

There's a cabin that's described as "rustic." There's dungeons with stone floors or walls. Enough details to paint a mental image but those details are less important than what's actually happening in those settings so I don't spend all day on them.

Just wanted to thank everyone for the feedback and comments so far.

My goal is to put the final edit on it today and submit tonight.

I think it has enough description where needed, especially of characters. The physical settings / surroundings are secondary mostly, not much in any of them is integral to the story itself so it's those that wind up more bare bones.

There's a cabin that's described as "rustic." There's dungeons with stone floors or walls. Enough details to paint a mental image but those details are less important than what's actually happening in those settings so I don't spend all day on them.
When I'm reading, I often find that I form a mental picture almost immediately. If the author then gives details that don't fit the picture, I either ignore them, or make a mental note that's separate from the picture in my mind. Either way, it's distracting. I like the pictures in my head better anyway.

Back