The International Inivitational Slang Challenge

Quasimodem said:
Hereabouts, they're known as Clamato Teabags. :eek:
I am a musician and when recording a set of drums, you do some strange things to get the sound you want. Even in live situations strange things are done at times.

One publication on recording drums states the below...

Tuning the snare (drum) is very important in getting the right sound. If you encounter undesirable ringing of the snare, try a small piece of gaffer's tape. You can also try taping a small piece of feminine napkin to the outer edge of the top head to eliminate over ring.:cool:

My question now is...
What if it spontaneously combusts as MathGirl has stated? Not only would it disturb the recording, it wouldn't make the drummer very happy. It would damage his snare, not to mention his crotch being in close proximity. The proper position for the drummer is to sit and straddle the drum set...the snare closest to his open crotch area. I was not aware of just how dangerous this can be. Ouch! :eek: :confused:

Spontaneous combustion

DVS said:

My question now is...
What if it spontaneously combusts as MathGirl has stated? Not only would it disturb the recording, it wouldn't make the drummer very happy. It would damage his snare, not to mention his crotch being in close proximity. The proper position for the drummer is to sit and straddle the drum set...the snare closest to his open crotch area. I was not aware of just how dangerous this can be. Ouch! :eek: :confused:

DVS,
At least it wouldn't send the drummer straight up, like the space shuttle coming off the launching pad.
Sincerely,
Gerundette the Orbital

Re: Spontaneous combustion

MathGirl said:
DVS,At least it wouldn't send the drummer straight up, like the space shuttle coming off the launching pad.
You do have a point, there.

DVS said:
. . . also try taping a small piece of feminine napkin to the outer edge of the top head . . .
Speaking only as a retired drummer, I don't think the publication intended to report exactly what you took away from it.

Unless mistaken, I believe the "small piece of feminine napkin" referred to in the publication, was of the 'goalie pad' variety, not of the 'quasi-suppository' type.

There is a method of impacting the drumhead, with two round mallets suspended from looped ropes. These are swung about one's head, when not actually in contact with the drum.

That is as close as I can come to associating tampax to timpani.

Quasimodem said:
Unless mistaken, I believe the "small piece of feminine napkin" referred to in the publication, was of the 'goalie pad' variety, not of the 'quasi-suppository' type.
So, you are saying an outie as opposed to an innie? I understand...but wouldn't both do the combustion thing MathGirl talked about? Aren't they both made of similar absorbing material?

Oh, I do understand her reference of 'the space shuttle coming off the launching pad' would probably refer to an innie.

Ragout

DVS said:
So, you are saying an outie as opposed to an innie? I understand...but wouldn't both do the combustion thing MathGirl talked about? Aren't they both made of similar absorbing material?

Oh, I do understand her reference of 'the space shuttle coming off the launching pad' would probably refer to an innie.

Oh, definitely. The spontaneous combustion of the external appliance (technically called "the rag") is something like a small incendiary device going off in one's panties.

Sincerely,
Gerundine the Inflamatory

Re: Ragout

MathGirl said:
Oh, definitely. The spontaneous combustion of the external appliance (technically called "the rag") is something like a small incendiary device going off in one's panties.

Sincerely,
Gerundine the Inflamatory
Ouch, again. And, if you weren't shaved before, you would wish you were...can you say forest fire?

DVS said:
. . . but wouldn't both do the combustion thing MathGirl talked about? . . .

I was speaking about percussion, not combustion. These two processes posse dissimilar causes, but somewhat similar effects. :rolleyes:

For example, combustion is something you definitely do not want in your pants. Percussion, under certain situations, can be stimulating. :eek:

Crotch music

Quasimodem said:
I was speaking about percussion, not combustion. These two processes posse dissimilar causes, but somewhat similar effects. :rolleyes:

For example, combustion is something you definitely do not want in your pants. Percussion, under certain situations, can be stimulating. :eek:

Dear Q,
On the other hand, some of the things which happen in one's pants are best kept away from percussion instruments.
Sincerely,
Gerundina the Arrhythmic

Back