Thread Post Limits

I don't think post thread limits have, or had, much value. Once a limit was reached, somebody just mad "Rev. 8" and the thread continued. My suggestions would merely be self-serving and probably not align with many (any) others, but if there was one change I think might improve my mood while posting, it would be a way to slow down the "Indy 500" aspect of speed posting to try to gain an advantage over others within a thread.

Currently, if I am about to post in a thread and somebody posted before me, a pop up message if given to me to indicate that another has inserted themselves into the thread ahead of me. I think that's a good thing, but doesn't go far enough. If there were an automatic timer to prevent someone from posting within a minute of the last post, that would (of course) slow down the boards. But I think it might act as a limiter - forcing people to think about the timing of their posts. In my perfect world, that automatic delay would lead to people searching for another thread to post in, increasing the play in more threads.

Nothing is perfect and people, being total asswipes, will look for any possible loophole in the algorithm so they gain some tactical advantage over others. But any effort to prevent those same asswipes from peeing on every possible bush in every possible thread to eliminate the ability of others to enjoy the atmosphere when they are intent on claiming their prey in a thread wouyld be welcomed by me.

I prefer not having the post limit.

I don’t think it is the post limits that has made the speed of posting faster, I think it is the thread type. The fastest moving current thread is SnS and before that it was the Chaos threads. The Chaos threads were created for the silliness and to help prevent the hijacking of other threads. A new culture has been created and that is one where 20 different conversations can be going on at the same time without interfering with other posters who want to discuss topics at a slower, more in-depth pace. The new culture is more open and so it attracts the lurkers and the newbies. More posters in a thread means the thread will move faster. This new culture isn’t going away anytime soon and it most definitely isn’t slowing down.

If there was a limit, how many days would it be before the fast moving threads reached the limit and started a new thread? How many would there be in a year?

The limit will get reached and then another thread would be started leading to more threads. I know that the old thread would be closed to further posting but it would still be there in the background and come up when searching. If you are searching for something in particular, it will be like trying to find one word in a volume of encyclopaedias and not knowing which one it is in.

I don’t mind how many posts there are in a thread. If it is moving too quickly for me then I don’t post. Sometimes my brain is functioning a bit quicker and I might post a comment or two.

The 5K thing was a functional limit. That is now dysfunctional.

I'm be up for a daily post quota/limit. Members get 100 posts per day? Then no more until tomorrow. Only X% of your posts could be non-text (pictures, links, etc.)?

But those aren't really practical.

It's easier to search A thread with 50,000 posts than it is to search 10 threads with 5,000 posts.

There are limits in so many things outside Lit. Some Litsters have circumstances where it hurts, just to exist. There are limits on the forum already. Smart limits to prevent the whole thing from being shut down. Things like no doxing, no abuse, no copyright infringement, no underage crap, etc. These make sense, otw, this place does not even get to be here. Anything else is overkill.

I know people and have known people, that post here, where this is the only measure of freedom they have. People terminally ill, paralyzed, mentally incapacitated. Some have passed away, and have expressed a tremendous gratitude before they left this world for what this forum has been for them.

Let this place, be. For them and all those in a similar place.

Think about it.

No posting anything today unless you somehow make it Rhyme.

Or nothing unless it’s somehow about Pickles.

Or today is Nipple to Nose Day.

See. This is why I’m paid the big bucks guys.
I have concerns about nipple to nose day

Just here to say, polls would be fantastic.

An ignore that makes a two way block would be fantastic. Actually, an ignore that doesn't come with a "show ignored content" or "you're ignoring..." when an ignored post gets responded to would be great. It would help to not know the person is posting at all

Think about it.

No posting anything today unless you somehow make it Rhyme.

Or nothing unless it’s somehow about Pickles.

Or today is Nipple to Nose Day.

See. This is why I’m paid the big bucks guys.
tenor.gif

Back