"To be continued if I get enough feedback"

KillerMuffin said:
Here is an example of what I consider over the top requests for feedback. "To Be Continued if I get enough positive feedback... "

I hate that - it sounds like extortion, or some kind of ransom demand.

IF you kiss my ass enough I'll write more of this literary masterpiece. . .

(And there are several of those in today's new stories.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a simple tag ending of "Feedback appreciated!" or some other gentle nudge to remind readers of the feedback option.

But the demand? I think it demeans authors as a whole just a bit. We all love positive feedback- but we shouldn't have to grovel for it!!!

In my um, humble, opinion!

(Feedback appreciated!)

:D

My first impression was that the writer didn't want to bother spending time on another installment unless he reaped some benefit from the scoring system. I agree with others that said it sounds a bit arrogant. One thing that I've learned through the years is that your gut instinct is usually correct.

:eek:

Is this OK then?

I've started to use a combination Thank You and feedback request. For instance, in One Naiad, reporting for duty I finished off this way -

I hope you've enjoyed my little tale. I welcome feedback, either to the address in my profile or via the anonymous feedback. Don't forget your own e-mail address if you ask any questions or want a response.
The only reward I get for this is your appreciation, so please vote too.
Thank you for reading.

I use a similar form of wording now on most stories. I think this is reasonable and I've had no complaints. Anyone feel different?

Alex

sweetsubsarahh said:
I hate that - it sounds like extortion, or some kind of ransom demand.

IF you kiss my ass enough I'll write more of this literary masterpiece. . .

(And there are several of those in today's new stories.)

I don't think there's anything wrong with a simple tag ending of "Feedback appreciated!" or some other gentle nudge to remind readers of the feedback option.

But the demand? I think it demeans authors as a whole just a bit. We all love positive feedback- but we shouldn't have to grovel for it!!!

In my um, humble, opinion!

(Feedback appreciated!)

:D
____

What SSS said (but I would kiss her ass even if she wasn't asking). My bad.

I don't necessarily perceive it as arrogant. Actually, to me it comes across just the opposite: unsure whether the story is any good that someone else enjoys reading. But I would rather the person just say something as simple and honest as: "I'm a new author and would really appreciate feedback." Or even, "I have no idea if this story is any good and I would love to hear what others think about my story."

Persoanally, I love feedback. I suspect that most Literotica writers (or wanna-be writers) do. I actually like it when someone asks for feedback, it adds a personal note at the end of the story. Although, in this case, the wording for such a request obviously wasn't well chosen, since it can easily be perceived differently by so many people.

I do like the idea that feedback is a reward and not a carrot quote, however that would not apply to negative feedback.

There seems to be a general frustration throughout the entire forum by both established and first time authors over the lack of feedback in anything other than a story where a guy jams his cock in his mother's mouth.

I see the statement in question as a cry for help, or an appeal not only for that particular story/author, but for the whole egotistical lot of us. All of like to have our egos massaged.

If the readers get the idea that many of the authors feed off of feedback, perhaps we will see more of it in the future.

While I wouldn't put the phrase in my own stories, I have no problem at all with those authors who do. I have done a sequel to a story I hadn't planned on doing due to numerous requests. I have also used names and desciption of readers in my stories when they have requested it. I believe is is just as important that we accomodate our readers whenever we can in this matter so they feel their feedback has some meaning or worth.

Many female authors do not respond to male readers, even when they are not being crude or telling you what they have planned, for you, your dog and your doorknobs. You must have a two way street with readers.

Negative Feedback

NaughtyMike said:
I do like the idea that feedback is a reward and not a carrot quote, however that would not apply to negative feedback.

I don't agree that negative feedback is NOT a reward. I write some of my stories to annoy and irritate people or at least to get them to think.

Even negative feedback takes more effort than voting.

I think we need to be clear exactly what is "Negative".

Some "negative feedback" is constructive if you look behind the words to the emotion that prompted someone to write the feedback.

Of course there are vulgar abuse and sweeping statements such as "You can't even read, you *******!" Even I accept that as a negative.

"Your character is a sad loser" may be true. Perhaps I intended the character to be "a sad loser". If I didn't, why could someone get that impression? It might be my writing that failed.

ANY feedback is so rare that it is worth looking at carefully.

No reponse at all and no votes is much more negative than a handful of abusive remarks.

Og.

Funny thing, but last night I ran across a story on another site where the author basically asked for this, but did it in a much nicer way.

I'm a new writer and this story is my first attempt at fiction. It is very much a work in progress and I'm not sure how or even if I should continue it. If any of you out there are feeling generous, I would really appreciate it if you could drop me a line and tell me what you did and didn't like and if you have any ideas on what I could do to enhance the story in later chapters.

I thought this was a great way of putting it.

Jayne

Re: Negative Feedback

oggbashan said:
I don't agree that negative feedback is NOT a reward. I write some of my stories to annoy and irritate people or at least to get them to think.

Og.

Some of the characters/events in my own stories irritate and annoy me. I don't write them like that on purpose they generally do it themselves.

I save all my purposeful annoying and irritating writing for the threads here.

Gauche

Re: Re: Negative Feedback

gauchecritic said:
I save all my purposeful annoying and irritating writing for the threads here.

Dear Gauchie,
We're kindred spirits. Wanna get married?
MG

Re: Re: Re: Negative Feedback

MathGirl said:
Dear Gauchie,
We're kindred spirits. Wanna get married?
MG

Only if you're a mormon (NOT a typo)

Gauche

I think this is probably the most effective of the "please send me feedback!" requests that I've ever seen around here:

Hi gorgeous people, do let me know your views on my stories and if you are also into roleplaying and etcs, email me at the link below to tell me more. My nipples are really hard and my cunt is wet after writing the story.

Back