Under Her Spell: An Interview

Yes, I believe that provides what I was looking for. As for deserting a work, do you ever go back and try an abandoned work again in a different way to see if it can finish after all?

Yes, I believe that provides what I was looking for. As for deserting a work, do you ever go back and try an abandoned work again in a different way to see if it can finish after all?

I have done especially if I've put a good bit of work into it already. Stubbornness is my middle name and I'll cross out whole passages or move them to a different place until I'm happy with it.

Hey Annie :rose:

well I've been off reading your subs, and there are many to peruse happily for ages. So now I have couple of questions for you:

I appreciate the difficulties of finding the right combination of lines required to put together a triolet such as your A speck of dust; what I'd like to know is how much harder do you think it is to then move beyond that and into the whole 'making a really good poem' thing?

I've read some people saying that writing in form feels more comfortable for them, having some framework set in place on which to hang the meat of their writing; have you ever felt in any way limited in your poetic expression through choosing one particular form over another? I would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong here) you feel some deep personal satisfaction in not only piecing all the parts together but actually ending up with a decent poem to boot!

The other thing I wanted to ask you was this: your piece Advice to a Young Ink Pen gave me a chuckle. It was amusing, clean, and definitely engaging in its tone. Is it one you've submitted anywhere else, since I could see it being enjoyed by a far wider audience than we receive here?

As usual, your 'ameter's precise without being in your face, and so does it drive you quietly quackers when you read things such as out-of-step limericks and limping sonnets? :D

Hey Annie :rose:

well I've been off reading your subs, and there are many to peruse happily for ages. So now I have couple of questions for you:

I appreciate the difficulties of finding the right combination of lines required to put together a triolet such as your A speck of dust; what I'd like to know is how much harder do you think it is to then move beyond that and into the whole 'making a really good poem' thing?

I've read some people saying that writing in form feels more comfortable for them, having some framework set in place on which to hang the meat of their writing; have you ever felt in any way limited in your poetic expression through choosing one particular form over another? I would imagine (correct me if I'm wrong here) you feel some deep personal satisfaction in not only piecing all the parts together but actually ending up with a decent poem to boot!

The other thing I wanted to ask you was this: your piece Advice to a Young Ink Pen gave me a chuckle. It was amusing, clean, and definitely engaging in its tone. Is it one you've submitted anywhere else, since I could see it being enjoyed by a far wider audience than we receive here?

As usual, your 'ameter's precise without being in your face, and so does it drive you quietly quackers when you read things such as out-of-step limericks and limping sonnets? :D

Hi again
What I do with the Triolet, and any form that has repeating lines, is write down on paper where those lines fall. As the one you mention was for Survivor I already had the Trigger (title) so at least I had some idea already what I was writing about. I admit to using RhymeZone if I can't come up with a suitable one of my own, then it's just a matter of fitting the puzzle together and hoping the pieces click!
I've certainly felt limited when being forced to write with some forms (Survivor again sorry!) For choice I prefer something like the Triolet/Pantoum/Ballad for rhyming forms or Tritina/Acrostic for non rhyming although a Cento can be fun if you have the time to go searching through everybody elses poetry!
I am fond of the 'Ink Pen' too but no I haven't submitted any of my poems anywhere, I was under the impression that I couldn't as they had been published on here already, plus I don't really know where to do that.
Finally yes yes yessssss it drives me up the wall and down the other side when somebody gets it wrong, especially if it's something in New Poems and I have to fight with myself as to whether I should point out glaring faults or simply sit on my hands and move on!

Hey there, girl! Loving this enlightening thread and revisiting some of your poetry.

I'm curious about the 'Anniekey'. What inspired you to create a new poetic form? How challenging was it for you and will you attempt it again?

Hey there, girl! Loving this enlightening thread and revisiting some of your poetry.

I'm curious about the 'Anniekey'. What inspired you to create a new poetic form? How challenging was it for you and will you attempt it again?

Helloooooo there lovely of you to drop by :)
From what I can recall I must have been nuts creating the Anniekey that was a hard one! But I think it was just to see if I could as there are so many Forms already and it was interesting to see if I really could come up with something unique. Yes I'd do it again but maybe something easier though! I did do a hybrid Acrostic/Tritina for the recent challenge , I had thought of doing it as a Sestina at first but after I'd got over that brainstorm settled for something a tad less challenging.

nice exchanges!

Thanks erectus and nice to see you here. :rose:

Annie I'd like to know what inspires you and how you motivate yourself to write. Some people jot down things where and whenever, some just plan time to write and make a habit of it. What's your method or do the poems just come at will? Do you read anything to inspire yourself (if yes, what?), listen to music, anything like that?

Thanks erectus and nice to see you here. :rose:

Annie I'd like to know what inspires you and how you motivate yourself to write. Some people jot down things where and whenever, some just plan time to write and make a habit of it. What's your method or do the poems just come at will? Do you read anything to inspire yourself (if yes, what?), listen to music, anything like that?

I need silence to write no music or anything, that's why it's so hard to write at the moment with me and my laptop at one end of the room and some WW2 movie blaring out at the other! I know with a laptop I could move upstairs but it's so much paraphernalia to move as I have it set up on a fan now to stop it overheating in this very hot weather we are having.
I find competitions motivate me to write because I have to work then, so I suppose deadlines are a good incentive. Once I have gone into write mode and decided whether free verse or form and subject they usually start to flow. I should write down interesting lines that come to me because my memory is not what it used to be and it's a sod when I know I did have something and now I've forgotten the damn thing. I think I've said this before that many of those good lines come to me just before I go to sleep and yes come morning they're gone! I can't say I read anything in particular to inspire me but I have read some books by Jodi Picoult and thought that is an interesting concept and wonder if I could find poetry there (excuse me another interruption ..... sigh)

Decided to answer Harry's question even though he didn't come in here to ask it. So what's the most erotic thing I've seen or read? Two straight guys doing what straight guys don't usually do to fulfill someone's fantasy ;) :devil:

One Day More

I'm going to unstick this thread sometime tomorrow, so feel free to drop in and add your questions or comments for UnderYourSpell today. Of course you can do it after the thread is unstuck too, but it might not be as easy to find. :D

Annie, you are a joy to know: exploring poetry with you is interesting and fun. Thank you for coming back to the forum and agreeing to be interviewed. Onward to more writing together!

:heart:

Decided to answer Harry's question even though he didn't come in here to ask it. So what's the most erotic thing I've seen or read? Two straight guys doing what straight guys don't usually do to fulfill someone's fantasy ;) :devil:

One wonders why.....

...surely he's not shy. :D

I'm going to unstick this thread sometime tomorrow, so feel free to drop in and add your questions or comments for UnderYourSpell today. Of course you can do it after the thread is unstuck too, but it might not be as easy to find. :D

Annie, you are a joy to know: exploring poetry with you is interesting and fun. Thank you for coming back to the forum and agreeing to be interviewed. Onward to more writing together!

:heart:

It's been fantastic fun and I don't know why I kept bending your ear about being terrified!

One wonders why.....

...surely he's not shy. :D

You are the only person that chose to pick up on that bit and not what the straight guys were doing and you made me giggle :)

personally I think some people don't want to fall out with the popular boys in school by being seen talking to the nerds :rolleyes:

Last edited:
You are the only person that chose to pick up on that bit and not what the straight guys were doing and you made me giggle :)

personally I think some people don't want to fall out with the popular boys in school by being seen talking to the nerds :rolleyes:

That doesn't mean my salacious mind wasn't working over time, you kinky biatch. :D:heart:

It's been fantastic fun and I don't know why I kept bending your ear about being terrified!

Like I said, most people get nervous about doing it but then discover it's a piece of cake. And it's not like there are wrong answers to any of the questions. I am happy with your interview and all of them so far. They've gone well and brought new people into the forum.

Like I said, most people get nervous about doing it but then discover it's a piece of cake. And it's not like there are wrong answers to any of the questions. I am happy with your interview and all of them so far. They've gone well and brought new people into the forum.

I just wish some people that aren't into forms had felt they could come in here too, I'm not exclusively writing form!

I just wish some people that aren't into forms had felt they could come in here too, I'm not exclusively writing form!

As we say in Jersey, Whaddayagonnado? And then we shrug. :D

But I say to the anti-formalists: Johm Ashberry wrote a form poems. And isn't all edited poetry following some kind of rules?

As we say in Jersey, Whaddayagonnado? And then we shrug. :D

But I say to the anti-formalists: Johm Ashberry wrote a form poems. And isn't all edited poetry following some kind of rules?
Even free verse has to be a poem. That in itself is a bit of a formula in that one must ask "is it a poem?" - Yes... step 1 on its way to being free verse/formula.

Well they should put themselves out and think ............ I did !!
Why, if they aren't interested?

Not everyone is interested in the interview threads. Or perhaps only interested in selected ones. I suppose you might interpret that as lack of interest in you as a poet, but what's wrong with that? Not everyone's poems appeal to everyone, after all.

Actually, what I want to ask about is that two straight guys thing and why that is appealing to you (if it is--your wording seemed a bit ambivalent about it), but that hasn't anything to do with poetry.

It's just me being nosy. :rolleyes:

Back