Under Her Spell: An Interview

Why, if they aren't interested?

Not everyone is interested in the interview threads. Or perhaps only interested in selected ones. I suppose you might interpret that as lack of interest in you as a poet, but what's wrong with that? Not everyone's poems appeal to everyone, after all.

Actually, what I want to ask about is that two straight guys thing and why that is appealing to you (if it is--your wording seemed a bit ambivalent about it), but that hasn't anything to do with poetry.

It's just me being nosy. :rolleyes:

Oh Lord!! Ermmm Ummmm well it didn't have to be straight guys it's just I didn't know any Bi's or Gays that well to ask! Anyway guys like to see two girls going down on each other so why not the other way round? (Can you tell yet that I'm getting flustered here?)

I just wish some people that aren't into forms had felt they could come in here too, I'm not exclusively writing form!
confusion is inherit in the term "form", most often is a truncation of "Formal"
here is the king of the "Neo-Formalists"

http://www.lewisturco.net/

"I think; therefore, I am," I think.

I think I think I am, I think,

But I can wink out in a blink --By Lewis Turco

There is a lot of elasticity inherit in a Formula, and Turco is a brilliant man.

form can be divided into two types: amorphous and discrete, so form as used in poetry has become synonymous as being of the more extreme discrete types.
and on the other hand the opposites also suffer as being misnomers; "Free Verse" the term is inherit in contradiction. But what is known as free verse has unlimited elasticity (amorphous), but has to survive by a greater reliance on "internal structure" , as the support from an "external structure" has largely been removed.
The terms "surface structure" are roughly synonymous with "external structure", and "inner logic" with "internal structure", but words are slippery devils. For something to be regarded as "poetry" they must have both, so it is a matter of degree as to what end you working...(to and from)
Sorry for what seems to a lecture, but I seemed to have gotten one, when I stopped in merely to compliment on your adroit usage in your area of operations.

confusion is inherit in the term "form", most often is a truncation of "Formal"
here is the king of the "Neo-Formalists"

http://www.lewisturco.net/

"I think; therefore, I am," I think.

I think I think I am, I think,

But I can wink out in a blink --By Lewis Turco

There is a lot of elasticity inherit in a Formula, and Turco is a brilliant man.

form can be divided into two types: amorphous and discrete, so form as used in poetry has become synonymous as being of the more extreme discrete types.
and on the other hand the opposites also suffer as being misnomers; "Free Verse" the term is inherit in contradiction. But what is known as free verse has unlimited elasticity (amorphous), but has to survive by a greater reliance on "internal structure" , as the support from an "external structure" has largely been removed.
The terms "surface structure" are roughly synonymous with "external structure", and "inner logic" with "internal structure", but words are slippery devils. For something to be regarded as "poetry" they must have both, so it is a matter of degree as to what end you working...(to and from)
Sorry for what seems to a lecture, but I seemed to have gotten one, when I stopped in merely to compliment on your adroit usage in your area of operations.

Awwwww honey I didn't mean to preach, a lot of what I've written in here has been very much tongue in cheek, it's that weird English sense of humour (see we even spell it differently!) I am famous for having the open mouth/foot in it syndrome (hope that translates too!) I fully appreciate your kind remarks even when it's not really your genre and apologise profusely for not making that clear.
By the way ....... I'm pink therefore I'm Spam :)

Last edited:
Hi Annie!

I'm sorry I am so late to this thread! First and foremost, your kind spirit has been an inspiration to me. I remember, years ago when you were sort of newish, at the presentation of a difficult challenge you would plead "but I can't!" or "I don't know what I am doing!" and then of course turn around and do it. Your humility, ever present. I don't recall your ever have come arose as smug or pompous when you came out on top or jealous of the attention given to other poets.

So, in secret, do you ever pout or gloat or are you really so sweet all the time?

Kind of a rhetorical question.... but... in this virtual community filled with real people it is easy for emotions to become tangled and messages twisted. How do you stay above it?

Love your work, Annie. You are amazingly prolific and continually produce quality work.

Okay, I never read the Dungbeetle poem before. It is frickin brilliant. Seriously. I loved every word

oh and you said Dungbeetle was one of your top three favorites- what are the other two?
Sorry if you posted this already- I can go back and look more carefully

Hi Annie!

I'm sorry I am so late to this thread! First and foremost, your kind spirit has been an inspiration to me. I remember, years ago when you were sort of newish, at the presentation of a difficult challenge you would plead "but I can't!" or "I don't know what I am doing!" and then of course turn around and do it. Your humility, ever present. I don't recall your ever have come arose as smug or pompous when you came out on top or jealous of the attention given to other poets.

So, in secret, do you ever pout or gloat or are you really so sweet all the time?

Kind of a rhetorical question.... but... in this virtual community filled with real people it is easy for emotions to become tangled and messages twisted. How do you stay above it?

Love your work, Annie. You are amazingly prolific and continually produce quality work.

Okay, I never read the Dungbeetle poem before. It is frickin brilliant. Seriously. I loved every word

oh and you said Dungbeetle was one of your top three favorites- what are the other two?

Anna you don't know how wonderful it is to see you here :D I've missed you girl :kiss::rose: How are you and your family? I hope all is well.
Sweet me? lol there would be some that would disagree with you, but I try to keep a sense of humour in all things. I have gone off in a huff before now but as nobody seemed to notice there wasn't much point in continuing it! I don't think I been actually jealous of any poet but I have been envious that I didn't think to write quite a few of their poems.
How do I stay above the infighting? Well I often sit here and think do I want to be in that slanging match and the answer is no, chances are they will kiss and make up somewhere along the line and I'm going to be left looking traitorous. Don't get me wrong though if someone is getting bullied I will fight their corner and I fight dirty:)
I don't mind answering you again, my other two favourites are Theme a little Theme of me ...... a Sestina would you believe?!! and The Man who wasn't there a Pantoum
I do hope we will see more of you now ........... you and your poetry are sorely missed :rose:

Another oldtimer wanders in. Welcome home.

Theme a little Theme of me brilliant title, Annie; how did you think of it?

form...
3. it often (dread) looks like a walk through
in other words the poem somehow feels stilted, artificial, like it is not inhabited, and I don't want to be there.
You avoid this and do it with humour and grace. (well sometimes not grace, for the sake of humour.)
Let me rephrase this, your poems look like something is alive is in there and when you want to be, they can be quite touching (I'm not easily touched). This may be because of your familiarity, that you don't force.
re: the pantoum, I never met one I didn't like, but that is largely psychological because of the insistent repetition. Now to do them really well, if one of the words in the repeating is ambiguous (either in meaning or a dual verb/noun position) they can be devastating, unfortunately, I can't remember any examples, probably Elizabeth Bishop.
I would like to mention in the past I probably more links to Formal Poetry than any of the usual suspects.
BTW here is a new toyhttp://www.totopoetry.com/, Merry Christmas
and in the near future...oh, well.

form...
3. it often (dread) looks like a walk through
in other words the poem somehow feels stilted, artificial, like it is not inhabited, and I don't want to be there.
You avoid this and do it with humour and grace. (well sometimes not grace, for the sake of humour.)
Let me rephrase this, your poems look like something is alive is in there and when you want to be, they can be quite touching (I'm not easily touched). This may be because of your familiarity, that you don't force.
re: the pantoum, I never met one I didn't like, but that is largely psychological because of the insistent repetition. Now to do them really well, if one of the words in the repeating is ambiguous (either in meaning or a dual verb/noun position) they can be devastating, unfortunately, I can't remember any examples, probably Elizabeth Bishop.
I would like to mention in the past I probably more links to Formal Poetry than any of the usual suspects.
BTW here is a new toyhttp://www.totopoetry.com/, Merry Christmas
and in the near future...oh, well.

Thank you for my early Christmas present ....... I will now touch you by kissing you underneath the cyber mistletoe :kiss:

Back