Valentine's Villanelle Challenge

uh oh

Don't get too comfy folks. I just found out about a new challenge coming soon. :D

I did indeed write Late-Life Love (#13).

It's a wonderful. I think the villanelle form is difficult because one has to be lucid, make the lines flow, and fit the repetitions without the seams showing. Your poem does all three of those so well. And I love how it plays off the Bishop poem. :)

It's a wonderful. I think the villanelle form is difficult because one has to be lucid, make the lines flow, and fit the repetitions without the seams showing. Your poem does all three of those so well. And I love how it plays off the Bishop poem. :)

Thank you, ma'am. At first, I was scared shitless of this one and wasn't going to submit. I read Bishop's poem in the right mood at the right time, and the words just flowed. I've tried to follow it up with another but the muse refused to deliver. S/he went off in a different direction.

Thank you, ma'am. At first, I was scared shitless of this one and wasn't going to submit. I read Bishop's poem in the right mood at the right time, and the words just flowed. I've tried to follow it up with another but the muse refused to deliver. S/he went off in a different direction.

Yeah they do that. :D

I thought your villanelle, Mer, was very imaginative and well done with the way you played off the Bishop poem, yet made it unique. It reminded me of the Eliot quote, "A good poet knows how to steal.":D

I thought your villanelle, Mer, was very imaginative and well done with the way you played off the Bishop poem, yet made it unique. It reminded me of the Eliot quote, "A good poet knows how to steal.":D

Thank you, gm, I am so glad you liked it. And still there's so much to learn - both in stealing, and in writing poetry.

I have no clue who wrote 47 ...but its way deep ...I truly enjoyed it ...it paints more than one picture ...very well done!

31is mine and I'm flattered that a few of my favourite poets like it so. The terzanelle is my preference over a villanelle simply because the rhyme scheme is easier to work around. AH, if you'd still like to work Stardust Lullabye over in the scansion thread, please do. Thanks for the fun challenge Piscator and all those contributors. I enjoyed your work very much.

A huge thank you to Piscator for this challenge I enjoyed it enormously :rose:

hehe as I have truly also immensely ...huge learning curve for me ...doing forms and using a whole knew level of non dark type words :p as my other poems haven't been pegged yet as by me heheheh ...though haven't been favorited but its ok :p cause it was way knew and WAY fun learning for me !!! THank you!!!

and HAPPY VDAY everyone!!!!

hehe and thanks for not shooting me for massive spamage of your in box :p

Names have been revealed

Many thanks to everyone for your submissions and lively comment throughout. You again proved yourselves to be an erudite, intelligent and cooperative lot with a great sense of humour underlying all.

What originally was to be a Villanelle thread was broadened at Angeline's suggestion. The resulting breadth of forms you submitted sent me scurrying to Tzara's thread, Wicki , shadowpoetry and elsewhere to understand the nuances of the forms you employed. I hope that you will read you works and include them on the thread that is developing from Tzara's awesome challenge last month.

Thanks to AH for his comments on the uneven line of my sonnet "Old Love". Originally it was all pentameter but I shortened some lines as they read better to me. Further, as pointed out out by UYS, my attribution of Americanadian sentence is totally illegitimate, there is no such form. But the 17 syllable string in my response to one author in this thread seemed to fit the American sentence form but with a 5-5- cadence (?) rather than 5-7-5.

Many thanks to everyone for your submissions and lively comment throughout. You again proved yourselves to be an erudite, intelligent and cooperative lot with a great sense of humour underlying all.

What originally was to be a Villanelle thread was broadened at Angeline's suggestion. The resulting breadth of forms you submitted sent me scurrying to Tzara's thread, Wicki , shadowpoetry and elsewhere to understand the nuances of the forms you employed. I hope that you will read you works and include them on the thread that is developing from Tzara's awesome challenge last month.

Thanks to AH for his comments on the uneven line of my sonnet "Old Love". Originally it was all pentameter but I shortened some lines as they read better to me. Further, as pointed out out by UYS, my attribution of Americanadian sentence is totally illegitimate, there is no such form. But the 17 syllable string in my response to one author in this thread seemed to fit the American sentence form but with a 5-5- cadence (?) rather than 5-7-5.

Aha so it was you! Invent your own forms ....... I have :)

This has been a great challenge and I don't think I've seen so many form poems together in one place since the last audition for Norton's Anthology. Uh but seriously, such stunning writing this challenge produced. Clearly many of us stretched outside our poetic comfort zones with great results. Like Piscator, I hope to hear your poems in the Let's Hear it thread.

Thank you Piscator for taking on this challenge and all the work that went with it. :rose:

Omgds didn't realize the names was posted I so gotta go see who wrote what!!!

Back