Valentine's Villanelle Challenge

Heh at work so I don't have to comment on all of the poems I will say that there are amazing poems in that thread ...green your toe jam one was way good ! Heh and I am happy to see I want the only obsessive writer for the challenge :p

And yes Butters 35 was Hella hard ...specially to find 2 iambic words that start with v Omgds !!

Great job everyone and thank you again Piscator for an excellent challenge it really was huge learning for me as I must have write 11 different formats for this challenge :p

Heh at work so I don't have to comment on all of the poems I will say that there are amazing poems in that thread ...green your toe jam one was way good ! Heh and I am happy to see I want the only obsessive writer for the challenge :p

And yes Butters 35 was Hella hard ...specially to find 2 iambic words that start with v Omgds !!

Great job everyone and thank you again Piscator for an excellent challenge it really was huge learning for me as I must have write 11 different formats for this challenge :p

Thank you, Sin. "Toe Jam" was a composite of a number schizophrenics I met during my career. For the most part, they were gentle souls from good families whose brains were for some reason wired differently, very sad.

Thank you, Sin. "Toe Jam" was a composite of a number schizophrenics I met during my career. For the most part, they were gentle souls from good families whose brains were for some reason wired differently, very sad.

Of all your villanelles, gm, my personal favorite was Coup de Grâce - in part because you so rarely write erotic poems, yet when you do, they are so very good. In fact I did not guess it as yours simply based on the theme.

Remec, you did my Annikey! You made a better job of it than I did :) Well done!

Thank you, ma'am...I do aim to please. :rose: Have started and stalled on an Annikey, like, three times before now (finished one, but wasn't thrilled with how it turned out) so I was glad to manage one, finally. :D

:cool:

I've been coming back to Lyricalli's "Yet to have a title" and enjoying it more and more, particularly this stanza:

Love can feel fragile, even to a strong heart
Still he smiles as he hands me his
And I wonder at what that means

I've been coming back to Lyricalli's "Yet to have a title" and enjoying it more and more, particularly this stanza:

Love can feel fragile, even to a strong heart
Still he smiles as he hands me his
And I wonder at what that means

Thank you, that's a very nice thing to read. :)

Eventually, I'll title it. Titles and I are at odds. Fear of commitment, perhaps.

Thank you :rose: it will have to wait a while though until I have the house to myself for a bit of peace!

Boy aint that the truth :eek: Ma'am has the habit of sneaking up behind me (not hard I don't hear well) and talking in a loud voice, wonder I've not jumped through the window yet :D

I have been binge-watching "Killing Eve", and wondering what possessed the villainess to call herself "Villanelle," unless it was low-grade wordplay. Anyway, all of this made me nostalgic for this discussion group.

I have been binge-watching "Killing Eve", and wondering what possessed the villainess to call herself "Villanelle," unless it was low-grade wordplay. Anyway, all of this made me nostalgic for this discussion group.
Per Wikipedia:

Some commentators conjecture the name Villanelle was derived from the word villainess. In The New Yorker, Jia Tolentino likened the entire Killing Eve series to the villanelle poetic form, writing that the show is about the "iteration of a recognizable pattern, its pleasures emerging in the internal twists".

In the novel, assassin Oxana Vorontsova chose her cover name as Villanelle, after a favourite perfume of the Comtesse du Barry who was guillotined in 1793 ("I shall have to be careful, then," said Oxana). In the television series, she taunts British intelligence agent Eve Polastri by sending her a bottle of perfume called La Villanelle.
Nice to see you again.

Per Wikipedia:
Some commentators conjecture the name Villanelle was derived from the word villainess. In The New Yorker, Jia Tolentino likened the entire Killing Eve series to the villanelle poetic form, writing that the show is about the "iteration of a recognizable pattern, its pleasures emerging in the internal twists".​
In the novel, assassin Oxana Vorontsova chose her cover name as Villanelle, after a favourite perfume of the Comtesse du Barry who was guillotined in 1793 ("I shall have to be careful, then," said Oxana). In the television series, she taunts British intelligence agent Eve Polastri by sending her a bottle of perfume called La Villanelle.​
Nice to see you again.
I'm actually reading the novels now, after seeing the series. I think I like the series better, because of the sly humor, which seems to be absent from the books.

Do you all still do these poetry form challenges? How many of the old crew are still participating?

I'm actually reading the novels now, after seeing the series. I think I like the series better, because of the sly humor, which seems to be absent from the books.

Do you all still do these poetry form challenges? How many of the old crew are still participating?
Some do the challenges, some do not. I try to do most of them unless I find them overly difficult or uninteresting.

As far as "the old crew," some people are still here, some are gone, and there are, as always, new people who participate.

Back