What kind of (Lit) stories do you like to read?

We have no generals. Generals are ghastly, overbearing people in awful, garish red uniforms. We outlawed them at the second Clitoric Convocation of Antioch.
Ah, the irony of making that decision in Antioch of all places... but admirals do make sense. So are those mostly three or four finger, err... I mean star, admirals?

The same qualities that I enjoy in mainstream fiction (and film, and photography) apply to erotic fiction:

An intelligent story (doesn't need to be cerebral, but those I particularly appreciate) done by a confident writer who isn't sloppy with details (silly things like grammar and punctuation) who has keenly developed perception into the human condition, and enjoys telling a tale out of the ordinary. The range here is enormous, but it is a delight to find a unique plot, character, or situation, and I enjoy being 'educated' into something new.

I like to read (and write) erotic stories where the male and female characters are respectful of each other, mostly of decent morals, and intriguing somehow. The last is often hard to define, but no less necessary. The kinks also must be among those with which I am comfortable. Probably why I avoid the BDSM, NC, and Fetish sections. I can appreciate some awful behavior from bad guys, but sooner or later I want to see them get what they deserve.

Her seals were sound and she leaked nary a drop when soundly plugged.
Her flange was tight, her scuppers clean, her bottom newly scrubbed
With sheets as bright as the ocean’s green she came out to be rubbed.
He caught her with her sails drawn down and laid out in a basket,
And taught her not to play around before she blew his gasket.

Note: my knowledge of nautical terminology comes from Hornblower as a teenager.

My preference for stories to read are ones that resemble an onion...
Where the layers are peeled off slowly revealing the true depth of the fruit within...
I like stories that are relatable... With characters that seem capable of drawing breath...
Stories that meander rather than rush...
Full of rich dialogue, where as in real life defence and attack go back and forth...
Where the characters depth is revealed slowly...
What I dislike is. Stories built entirely of narrative... Info dumps... Shifting perspectives...
Stories that, oh I know... Tell a story.

Cagivagurl

But here, I want you to say what kind of Lit stories appeal to you.
I'm afraid I come to Lit for erotica, not for general fiction. I'm an avid fiction reader. I always have a book in process. But on Lit I'm looking for something that pushes my buttons, and I'm afraid my tastes are so narrow that I find very few stories that really appeal. Sometimes I stumble upon something that's so well written that I enjoy it the way I do my library books, but that's rare.

Here is my latest description of what kind of erotica I like. It's from my Thanks to AH post.

What kind of erotica do I like to read and write?

Well, of course I know it when I see it. But how to describe it? This became a looming puzzle for me because I was introduced to erotica when The Story of O was the touch stone. My writing is very like that. I was very confused for a long time to find almost no stories currently that were like that. What was "that?" I started out with "a strong man willingly submits to sexual pain and/or humiliation." (Note - that the MC is male only became a thing for me in the last few years). Then it seemed that "surrender" was better than "submit." In my mind it left more room for a strictly individual experience, no relationship. (Note that in The Story we know almost nothing about O's lover or their life together). I was not interested in the modern interpretation of BDSM, where relationships are so important. I think that's where I was when I got active in AH last fall (fall of '23). I added "with dignity," as a positive way of expressing my distaste for things like "naughty" and "infantilization."

My latest, most ordinary language description from a Lit thread is: A good looking, self aware, self accepting man finds himself in the M side of an S&M situation. He might have chosen a sex club, or he might be a captive in some war situation, or... or... There is no relationship with another involved. I've lately decided that my male MCs are not involved with anyone because I want them for myself.

Edit: I like my stories in the form of simple erotica. I don't want to be distracted by plot and character development.

I would regularly be a little thrown by realizing that I really liked some story that did not meet one or more of my criteria. I recently hit on the fact that authenticity as I define it, can trump everything.

Last edited:
I like to read stories about submission and shame. Cheating. First times. Non Consensual.

They don’t have to be something believable. But it has to be something that could happen if the circumstances allowed for it. The sex has to be reasonably believable. Character conflict and a good backstory help.

My latest, most ordinary language description from a Lit thread is: A good looking, self aware, self accepting man finds himself in the M side of an S&M situation. He might have chosen a sex club, or he might be a captive in some war situation, or... or... There is no relationship with another involved. I've lately decided that my male MCs are not involved with anyone because I want them for myself.
To an extent, I share your taste in such stories. Funny as that is, there aren't that many stories that fit your description, even if there are hundreds, perhaps even thousands of stories with some kind of femdom theme. Yet the majority of them are centered around feminization and/or sissification of the MMC, or even around cuckoldry and forced bisexuality or something like that. For some reason, many authors associate being sexually submissive to a woman with femininity and/or homosexual tendencies. Pure bollocks.

To an extent, I share your taste in such stories. Funny as that is, there aren't that many stories that fit your description, even if there are hundreds, perhaps even thousands of stories with some kind of femdom theme. Yet the majority of them are centered around feminization and/or sissification of the MMC, or even around cuckoldry and forced bisexuality or something like that. For some reason, many authors associate being sexually submissive to a woman with femininity and/or homosexual tendencies. Pure bollocks.
I'm going to go check out your favorite stories!

I much prefer stories that are written for the entertainment of the reader, not to prove how many five-syllable or Elizabethan era words the author knows.

The same qualities that I enjoy in mainstream fiction (and film, and photography) apply to erotic fiction:

An intelligent story (doesn't need to be cerebral, but those I particularly appreciate) done by a confident writer who isn't sloppy with details (silly things like grammar and punctuation) who has keenly developed perception into the human condition, and enjoys telling a tale out of the ordinary. The range here is enormous, but it is a delight to find a unique plot, character, or situation, and I enjoy being 'educated' into something new.
If Literotica created a "slow-burn" category, I wonder if it would gain any traction? It seems from a number of responders to this post and likely others, it probably would.

Back