What's for dinner?

Sounds marvellous doesn't it. Yum! I'm going to try jambalaya again soon after that inspiration. Just finished making some fresh bread and that first slice fresh out of the oven and still warm with butter and homemade jam is yummy. Hot coffee coming up for the next slice.

Oh, Lordy !
Fresh bread, hot from the oven, and lashings of Butter [and marmalade, in my case]. Sadly, I've been warned off the butter and I have to restrict myself to 'the occasional" dose of marmalade (the EU wanted to call it "orange Jam" , the blaggards).
So it's Hovis brown bread, and not a lot of that, but tonight it was Chicken Kiev.

These are very old friends, and they came all the way from Paris to see us, so we want to give them something really nice, and completely informal; we all have to attend enough black-tie/rubber chicken dinners down here that we wanted to make sure this night feels nothing like that. In a couple of hours I have to go and start making spun sugar while Lori gets her curd tarts ready for baking, and I have to go and look up how to make the perfect Mai-Tai...

I hope it all turned out wonderfully and you had a good visit with your friends. I think cooking and having friends over is the best way to spend an evening/weekend.

Sounds marvellous doesn't it. Yum! I'm going to try jambalaya again soon after that inspiration. Just finished making some fresh bread and that first slice fresh out of the oven and still warm with butter and homemade jam is yummy. Hot coffee coming up for the next slice.

I made some Jambalaya a few weeks ago, and didn't care that my children didn't eat a lot of it... I even had some for breakfast the next day. (Should I put that in the confession thread?)

A fresh slice of bread sounds Heavenly! Have you ever had Strawberry Butter? It doesn't really have butter, but is smooth like Apple Butter... and delicious.

Tonight, I'm making a chili with both pinto and black beans. Smells from the kitchen are making my mouth water. I could use some of Chloe's bread!

Because we work such long shifts at the hospital, ...... We work 36 hours in three shifts, sometime 48 hours over 4 shifts, so we usually have 4 days off, which is when we actually have our lives, do our entertaining, engage in our hobbies, or just lounge by the pool and wait for alcohol to appear...

LOL. Why do those shifts sound so familiar. What is it with hospitals that they want to work their medical staff to death? I like the work but the long shifts just kill me sometimes. The breaks are nice though. Except in my case I tend to head in to my partners office and write away at my desk their. Which is nice.

A fresh slice of bread sounds Heavenly! Have you ever had Strawberry Butter? It doesn't really have butter, but is smooth like Apple Butter... and delicious.

Strawberry butter? No, never. I'm going to look it up. I make my own strawberry jam from fresh strawberries, as well as blackberry jam. I love blackberry jam and whipped cream on fresh bread too. Like this but without the fancy dish. Only takes a few minutes if you already have the bread. Just puree the blackberries with some sweetener (I use stevia, sugar is poison) and whip the cream (organic, I don't want my (future anticipated...) kids to have six heads thank you so no hormones or GMO poison) and there you go.....

c811503aa2aa3fe124749e87fe4a0ade--homemade-blackberry-jam-cake-pictures.jpg

Last edited:
LOL. Why do those shifts sound so familiar. What is it with hospitals that they want to work their medical staff to death? I like the work but the long shifts just kill me sometimes. The breaks are nice though. Except in my case I tend to head in to my partners office and write away at my desk their. Which is nice.

Strawberry butter? No, never. I'm going to look it up. I make my own strawberry jam from fresh strawberries, as well as blackberry jam. I love blackberry jam and whipped cream on fresh bread too. Like this but without the fancy dish. Only takes a few minutes if you already have the bread. Just puree the blackberries with some sweetener (I use stevia, sugar is poison) and whip the cream (organic, I don't want my (future anticipated...) kids to have six heads thank you so no hormones or GMO poison) and there you go.....

c811503aa2aa3fe124749e87fe4a0ade--homemade-blackberry-jam-cake-pictures.jpg

That looks delicious!

Strawberry butter is like making jam, but cooked longer. I found my recipe in my Ball's canning book, but this link looks good (I don't add nutmeg or vanilla). The photo will give you a good idea, and I have seen recipes for the crockpot, too.

That's the first time I have seen such a [ non-political ] condemnation of GM stuff. Thank you. :rose:

Have you tried Bramble Jelly [ blackberry fruit, de-seeded ]
It's a bit subtle, but nice stuff.

That's the first time I have seen such a [ non-political ] condemnation of GM stuff. Thank you. :rose:

Have you tried Bramble Jelly [ blackberry fruit, de-seeded ]
It's a bit subtle, but nice stuff.

GMO stuff? I try and stay away from it but it's so pervasive. Unless you buy organic it's almost impossible to avoid but I refuse to be a lab rat for Monsanto.

Bramble Jelly? Never, I'm going to look now. but I love marmalade. Especially ginger. Lime marmalade too. Yum!

Tonight's dinner? Fish and chips, homemade. With coleslaw and lashings of mayonnaise for me and ketchup for him.

Last edited:
Tonight it is pan-fried trumpeter fillets on fine-cut noodles in a fragrant coconut broth with a chiffonade of basil. It's OK, the trumpeter is a fish, not Herb Alpert or Miles Davis or even Chris Botti. :)

Made the pumpkin cheesecake cups for Thanksgiving today, and these.

Pecan Pie Muffins

I buttered the heck out of the tins, but suspect I over beat the ingredients. They came out a bit more muffin like instead of the gooey filling pictured. Still seem good. Oh, and I used 3/4 cup of maple syrup instead of sugar and added a pinch of salt.

Last night (Sunday): BBQ ribs and asparagus
Tonight (Monday): spinach salad and leftover ribs
Tomorrow (Tuesday): fancy restaurant in San Francisco
Next (Wednesday): edgy restaurant in San Francisco
T-Day (Thursday): my son-in-law's fabulous feast
Black Friday: leftovers

Leftover acorn squash and mashed potatoes with chicken and canadian bacon in a cheddar sauce. Yum-o!

Leftover acorn squash and mashed potatoes with chicken and canadian bacon in a cheddar sauce. Yum-o!

mmmm love acorn squash, but I make it more like a dessert than a side dish, someone said. :rolleyes:

Last night was pork chops and mashed taters, tonight will be (leftover) chili and hotdogs... I'm trying to clean out the fridge for the holidays.

A nice simple pot of chilli, ground beef kidney and pinto beans, scotch bonnets and lots of tomatoes and more stuff. It was nice!

A nice simple pot of chilli, ground beef kidney and pinto beans, scotch bonnets and lots of tomatoes and more stuff. It was nice!

what's "scotch bonnets" please?

In my case, last night, it was chicken stuff.

Thursday (USA Thanksgiving): Elk, venison, goose, trimmings
Friday (Black Friday supper): Frozen pizza and exhaustion
Saturday (upcoming): Leftover elk, venison, goose, etc

Last night was cheese, pepperoni, mushroom or olive pizza from the local Italian market, with salad and peanut butter frosted brownies. Tonight is going to be homemade make-your-own pizza. Hosting the cousins. :rolleyes: Munchkins are happy. Just load me up with some veggies, please.!

what's "scotch bonnets" please?

In my case, last night, it was chicken stuff.

"Scotch bonnet, also known as bonney peppers, or Caribbean red peppers, is a variety of chili pepper named for its resemblance to a tam o' shanter hat."-(Wikipedia)

Last night was cheese, pepperoni, mushroom or olive pizza from the local Italian market, with salad and peanut butter frosted brownies. Tonight is going to be homemade make-your-own pizza. Hosting the cousins. :rolleyes: Munchkins are happy. Just load me up with some veggies, please.!

Italian market, like a flea market? Or just an Italian neighbourhood?

Thursday (USA Thanksgiving): Elk, venison, goose, trimmings
Friday (Black Friday supper): Frozen pizza and exhaustion
Saturday (upcoming): Leftover elk, venison, goose, etc

Did you hunt those creatures yourself?

Anything but Turkey. If I see turkey again before spring.... lol

Honey glazed Ham for tonite apparently. Yum! I feel another 5 lbs coming on. Fattening up for winter here. Lol.

Did you hunt those creatures yourself?
My ex-celeb-chef son-in-law grew up hunting in the north woods and could quite well have bagged these were he not stuck in San Francisco where the critters don't run wild. He may have stalked these beasts from online catalogs; I didn't ask. He admitted buying most of his ingredients at CostCo.

Back