Whether or not to do a sequel

I read your story - and liked it. I would be interested to see how the sequel goes.

I had a similar experience with my story the community. It was in the LW section, and was about a couple who moved into a community of swingers, and the wife was being drugged and corrupted by the neighbours to join the swingers.

I ended the story as i thought it should, but got bombed because there was no retribution for the people who were trying to corrupt the couple.

In the end it was a comment from a reader that gave me the idea for the sequel which I then wrote.

I would say, that if you have a story to tell, write it. If you write your story and it is, as far as you are concerned finished, then don't fall prey to the FTDS brigade who, particularly in the LW category, just want to see nasty BTB content.

Since this thread popped back up again, figured I'd post an update:

So I am moving forward writing the sequel, but have decided AGAINST the incest angle.

After much internal debate as well as feedback from many of you, I realized it would be really unfair to both my characters and my readers to turn those characters from a loving couple into incestuous parents.

The original story had absolutely nothing to do with incest. My sequel shouldn't either.

Incest stories obviously have their place here. But a jarring genre switch like that just wouldn't work.

I've actually found a much more interesting way to add a little sexual spice to the tale now, one I'm far happier with than making dad and mom fuck their own daughter just to titillate my audience lol.

I swear, I don't know how some of you do it with those longer stories lol.

I feel like I've been writing this sequel forever now, and yet, checking the word count, it is now roughly just as long as the original story: around 4 LE pages.

But it's coming along well, and I'm seeing the endgame ahead.

Just need to follow the path there.

So I've just submitted the revised version of the original White Room.

While I'm still no expert, I think it now reads much better than the story I wrote 15 months ago.

I expect it may take some time for the edited version to post, which is fine as it will allow me to put the final touches on the sequel.

I've been working on it for months, and yet it's only going to be about as long as the original; roughly 4, maybe 5 LE pages.

Still, I'm very excited about it. I think I have a good story.

I know most new readers avoid sequels in the feed. I'm prepared for that.

Plus, it's a Sci Fi / Fantasy. Not a huge audience here.

I'm really just hoping the sequel finds the original readers. I'd be happy with that.

It'll be at least another week or so before I publish it. For those interested, I'll keep you posted.

Update for those who were interested:

The newly revised version of The White Room is now published.

Just finished the final edit on the sequel and submitted it. Hopefully it will be up in a day or two.

I'm fully prepared for the fact that not a lot of people will read it. Sequels are often skipped by new readers.

I am hoping it finds at least some of it's original audience. And that they like it of course.

Guess I'll find out.

Update for those who were interested:

The newly revised version of The White Room is now published.

Just finished the final edit on the sequel and submitted it. Hopefully it will be up in a day or two.

I'm fully prepared for the fact that not a lot of people will read it. Sequels are often skipped by new readers.

I am hoping it finds at least some of it's original audience. And that they like it of course.

Guess I'll find out.
Looking forward to it!

The only advice I can give you for writing a sequel is to write what you want to write.

The readers will pick up on the vibe if you're writing something that you're not all that hyped up on writing. I've written a few things based on feedback and only once was I happy with the outcome.

I write a lot of sequels because I love the characters I develop... I can't seem to put them down. I'm writing sequels and side stories because I love my characters, and the readers love it when you love your stories.

One bit of advice - the pageviews and votes are lower for the first sequel, but they're higher for the second sequel. Why? I have no idea.

You should do a sequel if and when the story itself demands it, not from fan request.

Hollywood is always making sequels due to sales numbers. The art suffers. If you're a commercial writer the analysis obviously differs - do sequels until the money dries up.

But if it's a hobby or labor of love, only when the characters or setting or such is still left unfinished.

In the past I've gone as far as to block someone who not only wanted a sequel, but being another author sent me an entire draft of a continuation of my now ancient AI Girl story. Other stories I have written with the intended purpose of setting them up to be continued or expanded upon by myself or others. So it varies by the story and what you as a writer were seeking to achieve with it.

I'll bump this one last time for those that were interested:

My sequel, The White Room Revisited, has been approved and will publish late tonight / early tomorrow morning depending on your time zone.

I'm truly excited to finally get it out there.
Awesome, man. Looking forward to seeing the finished product.

Back