Would you do a Stephen King?

Ayup. I've put myself in my stories. My main "me" character is, um, rather more psychotic than I really am, though. She's definitely *not* the clever heroine. More like, the stupid heroine who winds up doing the right thing at the right time in spite of herself. Poor creature.

I usually don't put myself in my stories, neither as main character nor as a minor one. The exception is when I write about something that has really happened to me - like a certain story that's coming up shortly, "Stripper's Choice" - no, it's not based on my last episode with the Chippendales, it's a bout an earlier encounter with a male stripper. It's illustrated...;)

I do however use different traits of mine for my figures. I have one character, Robin Shore-Snape, whose advetnures are available at Restricted Section (look for Polly Juice), and she's usually very tough and spits out snappy remarks. I'm not all that tough, myself, but I do make comments left and right, and that makes people laugh.
Another character from the same stories, Lydia Moon-Lupin, is rather a spitting image of me, both physically and in character, except for the fact that I can't play the piano, and I like to think that I'm a little bit more clever than she is.

*off to work on threesome plot bunny*;)

Svenskaflicka said:
He always plays some minor part in his films, doesn't he? Like a mailman, a delivery guy, a janitor, etc. Clive Cussler always puts himself in his books as a minor charcter, too, like, someone who answers the hero's question "did a guy in a leather jacket run by here?"

I would never ever, "do a Stephan King," because the practice is known as "A Hitchock."

Alfred Hitchcock began the practice long before StephanKing was Born. I'm not sure that he was the first to play a cameo in one of his movies, but he was the first to be known to do it in ALL of his movies. Stephan King is a copy-cat!

As for me, I haven't done so, nor do I think I ever will put myself in a bit part of a story. If the world ended and someone made a movie from one of my stories, I'd lobby for a non-speaking part as an extra in the movie.

Weird Harold said:
I would never ever, "do a Stephan King," because the practice is known as "A Hitchock."

Alfred Hitchcock began the practice long before StephanKing was Born. I'm not sure that he was the first to play a cameo in one of his movies, but he was the first to be known to do it in ALL of his movies...

Even Hitch began to find it a bit of a chore, toward the end of his career. He made it a point to appear early in one of the opening scenes, so the audience could stop searching for him, and pay attention to the action.

Sometimes though, his foible represented a challenge worthy of Hitchcock.

Such as in "Lifeboat," where the entire film takes place in a lifeboat filled with survivors of a torpedoed ship.

[No, I won't tell you how he arranged his appearance. :mad:]

Quasimodem said:
Such as in "Lifeboat," where the entire film takes place in a lifeboat filled with survivors of a torpedoed ship.

[No, I won't tell you how he arranged his appearance. :mad:]
That one's a classic! :D

I'm surprised, there are only 3 of these films I haven't seen. Also, you'll note that eventually Hitchcock began making his appearance early on in the film as he didn't want the audience distracted by looking for him. - Perdita

Alfred Hitchcock's Cameo Appearances

Family Plot
In silhouette through the door of the Registrar of Births and Deaths, 41 minutes into the movie.
Frenzy
In the center of a crowd, wearing a bowler hat, three minutes into the film; he is the only one not applauding the speaker.
Topaz
Being pushed in a wheelchair in an airport, half an hour in. Hitchcock gets up from the chair, shakes hands with a man, and walks off to the right.
Torn Curtain
Early in the film, sitting in the Hotel d'Angleterre lobby with a blond baby.
Marnie
Entering from the left of the hotel corridor after Tippi Hedren passes by, five minutes in.
Birds, The
Leaving the pet shop with two white terriers as Tippi Hedren enters.
Psycho
Four minutes in, through Janet Leigh's window as she returns to her office. He is wearing a cowboy hat.
North By Northwest
Missing a bus during the opening credits.
Vertigo
In a gray suit walking in the street, eleven minutes in.
Wrong Man, The
Narrating the film's prologue.
Man Who Knew Too Much, The
Watching acrobats in the Moroccan marketplace (his back to the camera) just before the murder.
Trouble With Harry, The
Walking past the parked limousine of an old man who is looking at paintings, twenty minutes into the film.
To Catch A Thief
Ten minutes in, sitting to the left of Cary Grant on a bus.
Rear Window
Winding the clock in the songwriter's apartment, a half hour into the movie.
Dial M for Murder
On the left side of the class-reunion photo, thirteen minutes into the film.
I Confess
Crossing the top of a staircase after the opening credits.
Strangers on A Train
Boarding a train with a double bass fiddle as Farley Granger gets off in his hometown, early in the film.
Stage Fright
Turning to look at Jane Wyman in her disguise as Marlene Dietrich's maid.
Under Capricorn
In the town square during a parade, wearing a blue coat and brown hat, in the first five minutes. Ten minutes later, he is one of three men on the steps of Government House.
Rope
His trademark can be seen briefly on a neon sign in the view from the apartment window, approximately 55 minutes into the movie.
Paradine Case, The
Leaving the train and Cumberland Station, carrying a cello.
Notorious
At a big party in Claude Rains's mansion, drinking champagne and then quickly departing, an hour after the film begins.
Spellbound
Coming out of an elevator at the Empire Hotel, carrying a violin case and smoking a cigarette, 40 minutes in.
Lifeboat
In the "before" and "after" pictures in the newspaper ad for Reduco Obesity Slayer.
Shadow of A Doubt
On the train to Santa Rosa, playing cards.
Saboteur
Standing in front of Cut Rate Drugs in New York as the saboteur's car stops, an hour in.
Suspicion
Mailing a letter at the village postbox about 45 minutes in.
Mr. and Mrs. Smith
Midway through, passing Robert Montgomery in front of his building.
Foreign Correspondent
Early in the movie, after Joel McCrea leaves his hotel, wearing a coat and hat and reading a newspaper.
Rebecca
Walking near the phone booth in the final part of the film just after George Sanders makes a call.
Lady Vanishes, The
Very near the end of the movie, in Victoria Station, wearing a black coat and smoking a cigarette.
Young and Innocent
Outside the courthouse, holding a camera.
39 Steps, The
Tossing some litter while Robert Donat and Lucie Mannheim run from the theater, seven minutes into the movie.
Murder
Walking past the house where the murder was committed, about an hour into the movie.
Blackmail
Being bothered by a small boy as he reads a book in the subway.
Easy Virtue
Walking past a tennis court, carrying a walking stick.
Lodger, The
At a desk in a newsroom and later in the crowd watching an arrest.

TELEVISION
"Dip in the Pool", Alfred Hitchcock Presents
As a cover picture on a magazine a passenger is reading. This is the only cameo Hitch took in a television show. (His opening remarks on Alfred Hitchcock Presents do not count)

Hitchcock cameos

Part of the fun of a Hitchcock film is watching for the cameo, isn't it? I've seen all the ones on Perdita's list but had to resort to internet posts on repeated viewings to catch them all, though.

Topaz and Lifeboat, in particular, were difficult to spot, even on repeated viewings.

One director that should stay out of his own movies (in my opinion) is QT. He ruins even the simplest scene, what a terrible actor. "Four Rooms" was a fun movie until the Tarantino monologue.

I don't write myself into stories but I write everyone I know, in one form or another. Ex-girlfriends especially.

Although I've only submitted one story here so far, I've been writing erotica for years, and I have to write myself in as the main character, or the story doesn't "work", for me or for my audience.

When I write, I write about things I have done, or things I would like to do, or things I've thought about. I know what my reactions are/have been/would be, and so my writing seems (to me) more honest that way.

Isn't it interesting how different people's minds work?

Re: Re: Would you do a Stephen King?

Weird Harold said:

Alfred Hitchcock began the practice long before StephanKing was Born. I'm not sure that he was the first to play a cameo in one of his movies, but he was the first to be known to do it in ALL of his movies. Stephan King is a copy-cat!
Honestly, I was a bit suprised to read here that Stephen King did cameos. He didn't seem like one who cared an ounce about the limelight, even shyed away from too much attention on anything but his writing.

I never spotted him in any movie based on his books, but on the other hand, I wasn't looking for him.

I have stared or had minor parts in a pair of stories by the esteemed Raphy. Also have appeared in my own fantasy works. Interestingly I haven't made a cameo in my own erotic works as of yet.

-Colly

Hi 'dita,

I just read the elevator girl. Of what I've read so far of your stories, there always seems to be a spiritual element to everything you write. I was just wondering if you do that on perpose, or it just creeps in their.

I think I'd like to play the girl in "the stranger" or course I'd have to wear a wig and enough make-up so that no one could recognize me.

I'd like to write a story were the main character *was* me- but I played a character who interacted with myself, maybe me own lesbian lover, or maybe just a friend or something. That would just be kind of mindblowing though:)

I'd play the main characters in Enough is Enough and Forced to Pee and Just my Imagination. As to the others, I dont' think they have enough secondary characters. I'd have to say in the case of the sex story, I'd definatly want to play the one having sex:)

I have to admit that most of the stories I write, I write "hoping" that I will star in them (though perhaps not on film- or at least not one that you will be seeing;))

Now on the subject of nonsex stories. If I wrote a book and it was made into a movie I think that while I'd want to be in it, I would really want to see it come alive and I don't think that I would enjoy *watching* it as much if I were a main character. I'd be torn.

perdita said:
I can't see myself at all as my elevator girl, though I'd love to be either of my abuelitas in my NaNo novel.

I'd love to play/be a woman in Gauche's stories; not many 'real' older women in Lit. stories I'm sorry to say (even mine). Oh, and I'd love to play a variety of his females in his Fairy Story, even the witches. Really.

Perdita

p.s. edit: I forgot about my Snippettsville character, Sian. She's based on me and I'd love to play her with just the right 'Hannah' and 'Robert from Yorkshire'. :p

In the two stories I have up now, I am the "star" in the female role... it's strictly fantasy though (sigh), that seems to work best for me now. Eventually I really want to branch out and write about completely different characters and scenarios... once I get some of my own fantasies out of my system!
:)

sweetnpetite said:
Hi 'dita, I just read the elevator girl. Of what I've read so far of your stories, there always seems to be a spiritual element to everything you write. I was just wondering if you do that on perpose, or it just creeps in their.
Sweets, your PM box is full (as usual) so - Thanks for asking. I don't do it on purpose in that I set to figuring out how to insert such an element, but I know it's there; it's just me and what concerns me in RL enough that it's in my thinking and imagination when I write. I honestly had not thought about it until you asked.

Best, Perdita :rose:

perdita said:
Sweets, your PM box is full (as usual) so - Thanks for asking. I don't do it on purpose in that I set to figuring out how to insert such an element, but I know it's there; it's just me and what concerns me in RL enough that it's in my thinking and imagination when I write. I honestly had not thought about it until you asked.

Best, Perdita :rose:

That's what I kinda thought you would say.

I've been having such a hard time typing lately, I think my fingers have dyslexia.

I did some housecleaning. Try again to PM me.

Colleen Thomas said:
I have stared or had minor parts in a pair of stories by the esteemed Raphy. Also have appeared in my own fantasy works. Interestingly I haven't made a cameo in my own erotic works as of yet.

-Colly

Well, you're one of the protagonists in 'Solitude', (multi-PoV, 3PL) and you have a supporting role (as do I) in Silver.. I can't think of anything else off the top of my head that Colly's in.

Back