Any birdwatchers?

  • Robin
  • Cardinal
  • Red-headed woodpecker
  • Red bellied woodpecker
  • Blue jay
  • Chicken hawk
  • Carolina wren
  • Mockingbird
  • Mourning dove
  • Tufted tit mice
  • Purple martins
  • Killdeer
  • Crow
  • Eastern bluebird
  • House sparrow
  • Barn swallows
  • Carolina chickadee
  • White eyed vireo
  • Mississippi kite
  • Great Crested Flycatcher
  • Starling
  • Brown headed cowbird
  • Downy woodpecker
  • White Winged Dove
  • Eastern phoebe
  • House finch
  • Northern Flicker
  • Common grackle
  • Gray Catbird

Twenty-nine today...had they not been mowing at the city park and the "regulars" shown, this could have broken my record. Great day, though!
 
I used to be quite the birdwatcher before Jo, and I hooked up. The yellow-bikini street swallow, the tiny-black-dress ass shaker, the long-tongued twatlicker were among my favorites.
 
Seasons are changing up here in the north. Until recently, the day was filled with birdsong, from dawn till dusk, with the red-eyed vireos taking center stage. Suddenly it's getting so quiet. Vireos at dawn, still, with an occasional cardinal or robin in the background, then just the soft chittering of chickadees and tufted titmice— no song, just conversation— till dusk, when there's a little singing.

Soon the crickets will be increasing in volume and variety of species, as if to fill the aural gap. And the cicadas. And a little later, the katydids.

The insects fascinate me, but the diminishing birdsong fills me with a sense of loss..
 
Seasons are changing up here in the north. Until recently, the day was filled with birdsong, from dawn till dusk, with the red-eyed vireos taking center stage. Suddenly it's getting so quiet. Vireos at dawn, still, with an occasional cardinal or robin in the background, then just the soft chittering of chickadees and tufted titmice— no song, just conversation— till dusk, when there's a little singing.

Soon the crickets will be increasing in volume and variety of species, as if to fill the aural gap. And the cicadas. And a little later, the katydids.

The insects fascinate me, but the diminishing birdsong fills me with a sense of loss..
Yeah - on paper it isn't half over yet but that late-summer wind-down energy, with the ennui and the anticipation of long nights coming soon, is in full effect.
 
I discovered two birds that Merlin will confuse if one happens to be singing, and that is the summer tanager. If it sings, and I don't know how frequently that is because I only saw it happen for the first time a few days ago when one sat on an oil derrick fence and sang where Merlin identified it as a Baltimore Oriole and that was the only bird singing anywhere at that time: I was 15 ft away and looking right at it. Usually I only hear a Summer Tanager do its little pit-a-tuck kind of chirp... so I learned something new.
 
We get a great number and wide variety of birds at our feeders, particularly as we live downtown in a big city. That's because we live across the street from one of the city's oldest cemeteries, dating back to 1846. (Yes, my European friends, in America, that's old). It is filled with many ancient, sometimes monstrously large trees.

Our favorite visitors have been the downy, hairy and red bellied woodpeckers who compete for a perch at our suet feeders.

A couple of weeks ago, city crews cut down three massive, mostly dead trees not far from our house. I assume that was their favorite nesting areas, as ince then we've seen no woodpeckers. I miss them, but I'm sure they just relocated to a different part of the cemetery and are doing fine. And I'm making friend with the new kings and queens of the suet cages, the nuthatches.
 
Our favorite visitors have been the downy, hairy and red bellied woodpeckers who compete for a perch at our suet feeders.

I love woodpeckers. But I don't get them. From an evolutionary standpoint, it seems to me (obviously I'm wrong, but it SEEMS this way) that woodpeckers have evolved to do something (pounding their beaks at rapid pace into tree trunks to create holes, either to find bugs, to communicate, or to create a cache for acorns) where, intuitively, it seems like the calorie expenditure would be greater than the calorie benefit. Of course, this is just another example of how human common sense about the way the world works isn't worth beans.

Nuthatches are fun, too. The way they walk up and down tree trunks.
 
Come to think if it, I haven't heard a peckerhead in a while.

Hadn't noticed I hadn't noticed. (That one's for the grammar peckers).
 
Back
Top