Any birdwatchers?

I discovered two birds that Merlin will confuse if one happens to be singing, and that is the summer tanager.
Interesting. I've noted that Merlin seems to get confused with the scarlet tanager, also, although at the moment I can't think who it's confusing it with.

Meanwhile: summer or winter, tufted titmice are the most faithful and regular visitors to my feeder, and ubiquitous in the trees and bushes around my house. Yet time and again— and this has been going on for at least a year— Merlin will say of them, “unlikely in your area today.”
 
Interesting. I've noted that Merlin seems to get confused with the scarlet tanager, also, although at the moment I can't think who it's confusing it with.

Meanwhile: summer or winter, tufted titmice are the most faithful and regular visitors to my feeder, and ubiquitous in the trees and bushes around my house. Yet time and again— and this has been going on for at least a year— Merlin will say of them, “unlikely in your area today.”
I’ve noticed similar issues with Merlin. It’s been a godsend for me, but still not always as sharp as the eye.

Lucky you to have tufted titmice visit your feeder regularly! Mine is dominated by Blue Jays.
 
I’ve noticed similar issues with Merlin. It’s been a godsend for me, but still not always as sharp as the eye.

Lucky you to have tufted titmice visit your feeder regularly! Mine is dominated by Blue Jays.
Oddly, the blue jays rarely visit my feeder. I have no idea why, but it certainly makes life easier for the smaller birds.
 
Truly. It’s not that they aren’t lovely to look at, but such bullies 😂
They really are. And there are plenty around me. Initially, I put up a platform feeder as well as my hanging feeder— hoping that would make it easier for the bluejays and they'd leave the hanging feeder for the smaller birds. But for whatever reason, they come only occasionally.
 
Truly. It’s not that they aren’t lovely to look at, but such bullies 😂

We have scrub jays here, not blue jays, but the personality is the same. Irascible and aggressive. I throw them peanuts to keep them off the bird feeder.
 
They really are. And there are plenty around me. Initially, I put up a platform feeder as well as my hanging feeder— hoping that would make it easier for the bluejays and they'd leave the hanging feeder for the smaller birds. But for whatever reason, they come only occasionally.
Here's one time the blue jay did NOT succeed at bullying: an angry cardinal drove it off (initially). I was watching this via FB and saw it the day it came out. I still laugh about this:

 
Who has it backwards?

Cardinals, Hummingbirds (some), woodpeckers, pheasants, peacocks, probably others .....


The males are more colorful.


Humans?

Not.
 
Interesting. I've noted that Merlin seems to get confused with the scarlet tanager, also, although at the moment I can't think who it's confusing it with.

Meanwhile: summer or winter, tufted titmice are the most faithful and regular visitors to my feeder, and ubiquitous in the trees and bushes around my house. Yet time and again— and this has been going on for at least a year— Merlin will say of them, “unlikely in your area today."

The first one that comes to mind is an American Robin. Cadence and pitch are very close. It could definitely confuse it with the Summer Tanager and maybe a slight distant second is the Rose-breasted Grosbeak.
 
Here's one time the blue jay did NOT succeed at bullying: an angry cardinal drove it off (initially). I was watching this via FB and saw it the day it came out. I still laugh about this:


That's a wimpy bluejay. It's going to take a lot of shit from the other bluejays for that performance.
 
Me Mum is an eagle watcher; her favorite mommy is in the hospital right now. The famous internet-monitored bald eagle from Big Bear, California, widely believed to be Jackie, was rescued on July 18, 2026, after a territorial fight and is recovering at the Ojai Raptor Center.
 
That reminds me of the play, 1776, and the cluck cluck of an eaglet being born. No, a turkey.
Me Mum is an eagle watcher; her favorite mommy is in the hospital right now. The famous internet-monitored bald eagle from Big Bear, California, widely believed to be Jackie, was rescued on July 18, 2026, after a territorial fight and is recovering at the Ojai Raptor Center.
 
Momma eagle isn't doing well, Mum's down about that. She switched it off for now, watching bears gobble salmon this week.
 
I bought a big bird feeder for my yard! Not sure yet where to hang it though - torn on whether I want to mount it on the fence or hang it from a tree.
 
Either of those would be inviting squirrels, racoons and anything else that climbs.

Best is a smooth round post/pole like a piece of pipe set in concrete.

Even then, you may still need a critter baffle.
 
Either of those would be inviting squirrels, racoons and anything else that climbs.

Best is a smooth round post/pole like a piece of pipe set in concrete.

Even then, you may still need a critter baffle.
Hmmm okay....that makes sense.

We really want to attract crows, but everything that attracts crows also feeds squirrels.
 
My wife is a witch. In like, the pagan sense. She says we need crows. *shrug* I just buy the bird feeder.
 
Back
Top