Back to Senate

Well I'd agree with the former, certainly. But I still have to choose between the two of them. *sigh*

I'm always ready for another one! :D I actually finally finished one of my own! :eek: (And yeah yeah, I have no doubt you have a stash of extras shoved into your virtual drawers!)

I do find it very amusing that you watch America's Got Talent, though. And even more amusing that you had to correct their title. LOL

Totally missed that "correction." That IS funny.
 
ROXANNE

The event has the substance of an inkblot test while proving Mencken's Theorum that no one ever lost money betting against the stupidity of the average American.

People will watch it and leave convinced that there will be a unicorn waiting for them beneath their Christmas tree.
 
ROXANNE

The event has the substance of an inkblot test while proving Mencken's Theorum that no one ever lost money betting against the stupidity of the average American.

People will watch it and leave convinced that there will be a unicorn waiting for them beneath their Christmas tree.

B...b...b...b..but I wanted a PONY! DAMN IT! A PONY! You hear me. P-O-N-Y! :D

:cattail:
 
I do find it very amusing that you watch America's Got Talent, though. And even more amusing that you had to correct their title. LOL


More a case of not paying all that much attention to program titles. If you bothered to actually read my stuff, you'd know I'm quite comfortable with the vernacular. ;)
 
Even the senate majority leader thinks this is a bad idea... and clearly just a political ploy:

LINK:

Let's face it. If I were John McCain and the leader of the opposition party said something in the campaign was a bad idea for me, I would be more likely to go ahead and do it. If W were to suggest that the senators could continue campaigning, whould that persuade Obama?

I presume there will be debate on the issue, followed by a vote. I see nothing wrong with a senior member of the Senate wanting to be there for both of them.
:cool:
 
Personally, this is why Senators should stay in the Senate. They don't generally know squat about governing, unless they've been governors. There is a reason that more Governors than Senators are elected Presidents, historically- they actually know something of an executive role. What few Senators have gone straight to the Presidency without a Governorship at some point have been disappointing. Warren Harding, anyone? Or even Kennedy, all things considered, is overrated as a Chief Executive.

I think that at least, Senators should have to finish a single term in the Senate before running for an executive office (Constitutionally, it isn't a higher office, since the branches are equal, strictly speaking).

A litte more time doing their current jobs and a little less schmoozing for another one, please.
 
McCain has not been present for a vote in the senate for five fucking months. And don't spout any shit about Obama's two month gap. The Senate was in recession for much of that time and Obama was still fighting it out with Hillary prior to that, yet still was around.

Ted Kennedy disobeyed doctors orders to show up for an important vote after fucking BRAIN SURGERY. McCain? Couldn't be bothered. (By the way, Obama was there for that vote.)

John McCain had ZERO reason to campaign from late March until June. But he still didn't show up.

Now, John wants to act all concerned. Um, John. Did you notice the name of one of the problems? Yeah, that's the same Gramm. Uh-huh, same guy that called us a nation of whiners.

All McCain's presence does is distract some bright mind from working on the actual problem so he/she can try to explain the problem to John McCain. Big help there, John.

Does anyone really think that it is coincidence that John's reversal in direction happened AFTER the ABC poll showing Obama at 52% came out?

If so, I have a partially-constructed bridge in Alaska to sell to you...
 
ELIANNA

Youre gonna get a pony...starting with a load of pony manure.
 
There is a reason that more Governors than Senators are elected Presidents, historically- they actually know something of an executive role.
There's another reason.

It's much easier to dig up a US senator's voting record for discrediting hot-button votes. ("He voted against tax cuts for Veterans, he's Evil!")

Whereas a governor can much more easily dodge those bullets. Because the arena of their state politics is a much more alien arena for most people outside that state than politics on a national level is. And a governor can much more easily re-invent himself.

I've heard it already in this election, and in earlier too, when Palin, Bush and even back to Clinton (I wasn't paying attention earlier than that) get critisised for something they did as governors: "Oh, but that was an Alaska/Texas/Arkansas specific issue - it doesn't reflect her/his national policies."
 
And on a more serious note,

I was looking forward to the debate-cliché beer chugging game on friday.

Looks like I might have to get drubnk the old-fashioned way. :(
 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SEVERUSMAX
There is a reason that more Governors than Senators are elected Presidents, historically- they actually know something of an executive role.


There's another reason.

It's much easier to dig up a US senator's voting record for discrediting hot-button votes. ("He voted against tax cuts for Veterans, he's Evil!")

Whereas a governor can much more easily dodge those bullets. Because the arena of their state politics is a much more alien arena for most people outside that state than politics on a national level is. And a governor can much more easily re-invent himself.

I've heard it already in this election, and in earlier too, when Palin, Bush and even back to Clinton (I wasn't paying attention earlier than that) get critisised for something they did as governors: "Oh, but that was an Alaska/Texas/Arkansas specific issue - it doesn't reflect her/his national policies."

Maybe a more important reason is that senators have been elected by popular vote for less than 100 years. Lately, quite a few Veeps have been elected right out of the Senate: Truman, Nixon, LBJ, Humphrey, et al.

Of course, most governors have held positions in state legislatures before, and have voting records, but those are more on local issues.
 
I think McCain is starting to show a pattern of impulsiveness in his campaigning that doesn't look good in a chief executive. First Sarah Palin who, whatever you think of her, was a sudden and impulsive choice, and now this. Shooting from the hip is starting to look like his preferred style, and you wonder if this is something you really want in a president.

It'll be interesting to see if he has any more shocks up his sleeve.
 
DOC

Relax.

The world knows all about Captain McQueeg and his strangeness.

The issue Americans are undecided about is: Do we hang the albatross of depression on McCain's neck or Obama's? If Obama is elected its curtains for black candidates for the next 75 years, because The Depression will be Obama's brand. Obama becomes the crucified messiah. McCain, on the otherhand, is a goofy old white guy who can take the hit and quietly retire in 2012.
 
I think McCain is starting to show a pattern of impulsiveness in his campaigning that doesn't look good in a chief executive. First Sarah Palin who, whatever you think of her, was a sudden and impulsive choice, and now this. Shooting from the hip is starting to look like his preferred style, and you wonder if this is something you really want in a president.

It'll be interesting to see if he has any more shocks up his sleeve.


I agree with that--except that I think the impulsiveness has always been there (and accounted for his low standing in his Naval Academy class as well. Might even have accounted for him getting shot out of the sky over Vietnam.)
 
SR71PLT

The North Vietnam air defense was crude but effective; line up a few hundred gooks with AK47s, point them into the sky, and pull the trigger when McCain flew over. Works every time.
 
SR71PLT

The North Vietnam air defense was crude but effective; line up a few hundred gooks with AK47s, point them into the sky, and pull the trigger when McCain flew over. Works every time.


Didn't shoot me down (and a whole lot of other pilots as well). Of course I was flying a lot higher than anything they had could shoot. But (A) they had the latest the Soviets and Chinese could get in there. And (B) if McCain had been flying low enough for an AK47 to hit him, "impulsive" would fit him just fine. As usual, you haven't the vaguest notion what you're talking about.
 
I agree with that--except that I think the impulsiveness has always been there (and accounted for his low standing in his Naval Academy class as well. Might even have accounted for him getting shot out of the sky over Vietnam.)

Yeah, but this is getting a little scary, with his sharp reaction over the invasion of Georgia, and then his response to the financial crisis {(a) economy's fundamentally sound, (b) fire the head of the SEC, (c) against the bailout, (d) for the bailout, (e) for the bailout with reservations...}

Now he's refusing to debate if the bailout plan isn't passed by Friday night, even though he expects it to pass by Monday. What in the world is the point of this? Just who is he blackmailing here? Who is he punishing? This is bordering on the psychotic if you ask me.
 
Last edited:
Yeah, but this is getting a little scary, with his sharp reaction over the invasion of Georgia, and then his response to the financial crisis {(a) economy's fundamentally sound, (b) fire the head of the SEC, (c) against the bailout, (d) for the bailout, (e) for the bailout with reservations...}

Now he's refusing to debate if the bailout plan isn't passed by Friday night, even though he expects it to pass by Monday. What in the world is the point of this? Just who is he blackmailing here? This is bordering on the psychotic if you ask me.

John is not prepared for the debate. John's numbers are down. John is trying to avoid being made a fool of on national television.

I honestly believe this is a large part of the reason for that gambit about the debates. It's the only thing that fits. Why else risk looking like you can't do two things at once? He is trying to address his credibility on crisis issues by showing that he will drop what he is doing and come running when someone yells "fire!"

But we're not auditioning volunteer firemen here.
 
SR71PLT 'In the rear with the gear.'

I remember you. You were the flyer in CATCH-22 who got a medal for a perfect bomb pattern out over the ocean. Killed a school of salt water catfish.
 
John is not prepared for the debate. John's numbers are down. John is trying to avoid being made a fool of on national television.

I honestly believe this is a large part of the reason for that gambit about the debates. It's the only thing that fits. Why else risk looking like you can't do two things at once? He is trying to address his credibility on crisis issues by showing that he will drop what he is doing and come running when someone yells "fire!"

But we're not auditioning volunteer firemen here.

It's not so much a problem of doing two things at once as it is being two places simultaneously. :eek: He wants to be in WashDC to take part in the discussion and possible vote, which is important, and he wants to take part in the debate which can, to be honest, be postponed for a week. :cool:

Maybe he can send Sarah Palin to replace him at the debate. Veeps often do that sort of thing, replace the pres. at ceremonial ocasions, and this would be a chance to make her look vice-presidential. It will also put Obama in a no-win situation. People will ask: "Why weren't you in Washington doing your job?" and, if he wins, it will be "Big deal. You beat their B-team." If he loses the debate, that will be even worse for him. If he refuses to debate, he will look like a chicken or a sexist.
 
I think McCain is starting to show a pattern of impulsiveness in his campaigning that doesn't look good in a chief executive.

Ya think??

I don't even think it's necessarily impulsiveness... I think it's reactionary. And that scares me!
 
SR71PLT 'In the rear with the gear.'

I remember you. You were the flyer in CATCH-22 who got a medal for a perfect bomb pattern out over the ocean. Killed a school of salt water catfish.

Wrong again. Never dropped a bomb in my life (unlike you, apparently). Took pretty pictures. I guess you don't understand what an SR71 is. What a surprise.
 
Now he's refusing to debate if the bailout plan isn't passed by Friday night, even though he expects it to pass by Monday. What in the world is the point of this? Just who is he blackmailing here? Who is he punishing? This is bordering on the psychotic if you ask me.

I think it would be fun to have a life-size cutout of him there and have the moderator asking questions and only Obama answering.
 
Back
Top