Being autistic, adhd and random stuff

I may have mentioned this before? There's probably a fancy name for it, but I rarely have any sense of being thirsty. It used to give me headaches as a kid, so I dreaded summer and Mum had other worries over her strange child, so drinking water never came up.
Anyhow, we've had a long hot summer and trying to drink enough became a chore. I can get muscles cramps at random times and can fix them by drinking another pint of water... It takes my body about 20 mins for it the cramps to ease off. When we're out on the boat in hot weather I'll often drink 4 litres ( 7? pints ) to ward off feeling shitty.
 
Last edited:
I may. mentioned this before? There's probably a fancy name for it, but I rarely have any sense of being thirsty. It used to give me headaches as a kid, so I dreaded summer and Mum had other worries over her strange child, so drinking water never came up.
Anyhow, we've had a long hot summer and trying to drink enough became a chore. I used to get muscles cramps at random times and could fix them by drinking another pint of water... It takes my body about 20 mins for it to take effect. When we're out on the boat in hot weather I'll often drink 4 litres ( 7? pints ) to ward off feeling shitty.
Your post really struck a chord with me. I am chronically thirsty but I never seem to drink. I used to put a water bottle on my desk in the morning. At lunchtime it had exactly the same amount of water in it that I started with! Meanwhile I see these people guzzling water like maniacs and I cannot seem to emulate them even though I know it's healthier to be hydrated. What is this ailment??
 
  • Adipsia (also called hypodipsia when thirst is only partially reduced) means you lose the normal urge to drink water, even if your body is low on fluids or has high salt levels.
  • It often links to damage or problems in the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that controls thirst and fluid balance
There's a lot more info on Wiki... Drinking plenty keeps UTIs away too - people with a penis have a nice long urethra.
 
  • Adipsia (also called hypodipsia when thirst is only partially reduced) means you lose the normal urge to drink water, even if your body is low on fluids or has high salt levels.
  • It often links to damage or problems in the hypothalamus, the part of the brain that controls thirst and fluid balance
There's a lot more info on Wiki... Drinking plenty keeps UTIs away too - people with a penis have a nice long urethra.
Thanks. I am going to follow up on this and continue my quest to try to drink more water.
 
I stumbled onto this youtube site and stayed a while. The guest in this particular video is SO insightful and offers great advice to couples ND/ND and ND/NT.
Wow... If I'd have known this trick ( ie wait until the next day to make your point when no one is tired ) then I might still be with my old gf. However, the advice will really help me with my lummuck, who is so patient with me :heart:

Make yourself a drink and put twenty mins aside.
 
I often think the biggest problem in ND/NT relationships is the difference of communication style. Hello! Tell me; don't make me guess!
 
I may have mentioned this before? There's probably a fancy name for it, but I rarely have any sense of being thirsty. It used to give me headaches as a kid, so I dreaded summer and Mum had other worries over her strange child, so drinking water never came up.
Anyhow, we've had a long hot summer and trying to drink enough became a chore. I can get muscles cramps at random times and can fix them by drinking another pint of water... It takes my body about 20 mins for it the cramps to ease off. When we're out on the boat in hot weather I'll often drink 4 litres ( 7? pints ) to ward off feeling shitty.

My current GF is this, to a tee. Can go all day and be like: "I drank loads".

She's had 200ml of fluid in 12hr. Nightmare for it. But now she's explained why, I help, but bottled water. Chuck it to her and remind her etc.

The thought to eat or drink, just doesn't cross her mind.
 
I often think the biggest problem in ND/NT relationships is the difference of communication style. Hello! Tell me; don't make me guess!
Again yes. Current GF moved in with me in summer. Within a month there's been weeks where she'd go mute on me. Id be feeling totally isolated.

Eventually the second time resulted in a row. She suggested me and her son (21) hasn't spoken to her. I listed umpteen conversations we'd had about the various subjects. Where she was present

"Oh fuck. I remember that, but not any of the conversation"

She then informed me that when she senses stress, conflict etc she basically withdraws and becomes deaf.

We worked around it and she said the same:

"I'm literal as fuck, want a cuddle tell me, want sex, tell me, want a hug because bad day, tell me. Otherwise I'm stood here clueless"

Right. Ok. Now we know what we're dealing with
 
Back
Top