Do readers really read a series?

This is my first time hearing of anyone doing this. I'd think the lack of context would hinder enjoyment.
In theory, even every chapter should stand on its own if you're putting them out in serial. Of course, I know from personal experience that it's very difficult to do and rarely actually happens. However, if the description drew you in enough to take a look, it's still possible to enjoy without the full context. There should be enough that it works, even if not truly stand-alone.

I've written a number of series here. I have to note the actual "series feature" is much newer than most of my works, so most of it consists of chapters of a "single" piece. Yes, the initial chapters get the most reaction and reception and it generally plateaus after a few chapters (as @EmilyMiller's diagram shows). Those are the real fans of the series. They're the ones I appreciate the most.

Most of the time I write the entire series and then drop them one chapter at a time over a short period of time, as @TammyTrueheart mentions you're doing. It's a great way to keep the fans engaged and interested, and also allows you to demonstrate the overall arc. As an aside, I have a fan who, each time a new chapter comes out, will Favorite the new chapter, then go back and RE-favorite the initial story which is the foundation of the whole series. I can only imagine that it's to keep "Chapter 0" (as it were) at the top of their fav list.

I have been writing a more open-ended series, however. I find the difference interesting, given that I have no set story arc planned for it. I just make sure that each story ends in such a manner that if I never am inspired to write another chapter, I'm content with how the story has ended. If I feel that way I'm pretty sure most of my readers will be as well.
 
I am in the throngs of publishing a series. I drop hints and clues along the way that if you don't read, you will miss out on the humor in later chapters. My second story got more reads than my first which begs to ask the question: How many people or percentage actually read a series for the story and what percentage are just going through catagories looking for spanking material and when they don't find it, they give a vote of disappointment? I know this is impossible to answer because there is no way to tell, but I think some series authors would have a feel. I am thinking about adding a second series that continues on this one.
If I like the writing and the subject matter is one that appeals to me, I will read the second installment, and so on, the third. By then I can usually tell if it's a cohesive longer story with an actual trajectory towards some sort of finale, or just a series of individual stories loosely strung together by a common theme. If it's the latter, I'm apt to get bored by then (unless the writing is indeed very good). If the former, and the writer is sustaining it well, then I'll usually read the whole series.
 
Last edited:
Back
Top