Fangs and Cuffs

Amber tried hard to not think of how good that felt, or how it made her think of Vincent and the days and nights they had spent together over the years relaxing on this very couch. "You don't have to babysit me you know," looking at him, she made sure Roderick didn't think that she was just trying to get rid of him. "I'll be fine on my own. Besides I don't want to take up all of your day. Its going to be a long night after all and I'm sure you have better things to do other than look after some old vamp that managed to not only get bitten by a damn cobra but also her own dog in the same day."

The truth was Amber was enjoy his company and his touch. As much as she didn't want the comfort, however unintentional, she did it. Even if it galled her to admit as much. The phone started to ring and just like the night before Amber made no move to answer. the machine picked up and it was another person expressing their condolences and making the offer that if she needed anything, anything at all to just ask.

Amber laughed as the call disconnected, "What I need is someone's head on a pike. Or maybe crucified. Whenever people say things like that I wonder just how sincere they are. Anything is rather vague you know." What she really wanted she couldn't have though.
 
"You don't have to babysit me you know. I'll be fine on my own. Besides I don't want to take up all of your day. Its going to be a long night after all and I'm sure you have better things to do other than look after some old vamp that managed to not only get bitten by a damn cobra but also her own dog in the same day."

"Hey, even if you're not a suspect you're a valuable source of information. I wouldn't be able to sleep if I wasn't sure you were safe seeing as someone seems to want you dead. Besides, all I'd be doing was staring at case files until my vision blurred. If you don't mind me being here I don't mind staying."

He didn't really want to admit just how nice it was to have some companionship for a change. Roderick had become something of a solitary creature, the job did that to some people. Plus he was naturally an introvert and eschewed the normal cop activities like drinking and gathering around a television to watch some event. Those things just didn't appeal to him.

Amber's phone interrupted his moment of solitude. He was ready to move, but she remained laying down. Just another thing they shared in common, he hated the phone. It never seemed to bear good news, only another crime scene that would slowly chip away at his soul. The voice on the other end was pleasant, consoling, everything a call like this should be. The more he overheard about Amber and Vincent the more his anger at this killer grew. The kind of emotional bonds vampires formed with their donors shouldn't be tampered with so easily.

"What I need is someone's head on a pike. Or maybe crucified. Whenever people say things like that I wonder just how sincere they are. Anything is rather vague you know."

"I wouldn't go with head, it would clash horribly with the decor you've got going. And if I could suggest a means of disposal, skinning is supposed to be the most painful, and I'm sure the hide could be useful."

Roderick was just talking now, trying to not let just how comfortable this situation was sink in. Her skin was soft when he brushed over it during his rubbing of her ankle, and just having someone to talk with was a very soothing thing. He actually felt his eyes drift closed just a little.
 
"Petrov could use a new rawhide chew I suppose." Amber finished the bottle of blood slowly and licked her lips. At one point her color had faded and was now slowly coming back. Pale but not deathly pale. "Well if you're are going to stick around I am going to insist we get some food." Eating food made it possible fore vampires to blend in amongst humans and it also made it possible for vampires to need less blood. Some of the older ones didn't eat unless they had too and some not at all. Amber knew from talk that starting after you hadn't for years was hard and now that they were in the light so to speak blending in wasn't really necessary.

Food would also get her mind off Roderick and his rather cute face. when his eyes had closed as if he might doze off, Amber realized just how young he really was. Relaxed his face lost its 'cop face' and whatever stress he was carrying around. For a moment he looked like a young man with little by way of cares in the world.

For a short moment Amber wanted to just lean over and kiss him. Instead she had made the offer for food. Food would keep them out of trouble.
 
"Well if you're are going to stick around I am going to insist we get some food."

"You'll get no complaints from me."

Roderick liked the thought of food, although it did mean they'd have to move. And he was really quite comfortable, probably too comfortable though. He'd been relaxing, letting some of the stress leave his body. When he did that he was reminded, very subtly, that Amber was an incredibly beautiful woman. It had been a long time since he'd been with someone, and the easier things became between them the easier it would be to let something happen.

The thought was a rather intriguing one, because she was still involved in his case, but they seemed to get along. Roderick shelved the thought without making a determination one way or the other. The notion was too appealing to dismiss but too risky to accept just yet.

"You have any preference for food?"

Best to keep things superficial for now, food was an adequate distraction for them both.
 
"Chinese maybe, Indian. I've got some menus in the kitchen for take out. Unless you have some other suggestions?" Amber sat up fully and stretched. Uncurling the towel from her hand, she looked at her hand. Her flesh was still a bit red and the veins were swollen. Yes food, some more blood and maybe a nap and she'd back to normal. If not Amber had some lace fingerless gloves she could wear tonight.

This wasn't like her, well not like her for a long time. It was as if sleeping with Vincent had woken up something inside of her. Which of course was just ridiculous. It was just the stress of everything, needing comfort.
 
"Chinese sounds good. I'll go find the menu's."

Roderick couldn't help noticing Amber's figure when she stretched, her breasts pushed enticingly against the material of her top. It took a lot of control not to smack himself to try and knock those feelings out of him. After the case he could indulge in fantasy, for now he needed a clear head. He stretched as well after standing, a few pops coming from his back.

He moved into the kitchen and found the chinese menu. He knew of the place, good quality. He also grabbed another bottle of blood for Amber. He'd seen her glancing at her hand and figured another one would help.

"Ok, found it. Anything specific you'd like?"

Roderick already knew what he wanted, and sat down beside Amber on the couch again, handing her the blood.
 
"Thank you, Vin...Roderick," Amber took the menu and flipped it open. 'Get a hold of yourself, Amber.' Calling him Vincent had been reflexive, he had been after all the only person who would have ever been around or close enough to see her so relaxed when something like the snake incident had happened. She focused on the food choices before her.

"Hmm I think this is the kind of night that calls for something different." Shifting on the couch Amber twisted and reached for the phone. Like before when she had been stretching, her blouse pulled tight against her breasts. Any tighter and the fabric or a button may have gave way. Dialing the number from memory Amber folded the menu and flung it onto the coffee table.

"Hi yes can I place and order for delivery?.....6450 Woodland Ave....yes this is Amber...no not the usual this time. I'd like an order of General Tso's with a side of hot and sour soup." She looked over to Roderick to see what he wanted.
 
Roderick was certain a low moan would pull from his throat when Amber leaned over and stretched for the phone. He wasn't sure at all why he was fixating on her like this, but she looked great and he couldn't seem to stop trying to picture those wonderful breasts free from their constraints.

The fact that she'd nearly called him Vincent wasn't lost on him, but it didn't seem worth making a deal of. Amber was a very private vampire, and she and Vincent had been very close, a slip of the tongue around someone new wasn't out of the question.

"Chow mein, broccoli beef, and I think some fried dumplings."

With their order placed they were left in the relative quiet again, with each other for company.

"So, I gather you use that place a lot. I can't get any of the places I order from to even remember my name much less what I like eating."

Roderick was trying small talk, hoping to redirect his thoughts for the time being.
 
"Since they first opened and when...when Vincent was living with me we ordered out twice a month. of course he could eat like a bear so consistency and the sheer total of the bill make me hard to forget. The food is great though. Plus they know I tip well so they make it a habit to remember me."

Sipping the blood slowly Amber let her mind wander, "So when you aren't working what do you do for fun? You don't look like the type to have let work completely take over your life so I am just curious what such a cute lil spook does on his off days. Well besides work that is."

Petrov got up and came over with his food bowl in his mouth. Looking at Amber he let out a whine. "Ok ok I get the hint. Excuse me a second," Amber got up and took the bowl from the dog and headed back into the kitchen. Once back in the kitchen she filled his bowl with food and topped off his water dish. "Seriously though you have to have some hobbies."
 
"So when you aren't working what do you do for fun? You don't look like the type to have let work completely take over your life so I am just curious what such a cute lil spook does on his off days. Well besides work that is."

It was a very good question, one Roderick actually had to think about. When Petrov came in and requested more food he was actually a little relieved, it gave him a chance to search his memory. What had he been doing on his days off lately?

Fortunately when Amber returned he had something of an answer.

"Well, much of my free time is taken by work, looking for angles or clues that I didn't see before. As for hobbies I'm a decent poker player, and of course reading. I read more work related content than I probably should, criminology, psychology, stuff like that."

Roderick relaxed into the couch again, letting some of the stress leave his body.

"I've been into mma fighting for a while too, so whenever I can I catch fights. Sadly my life isn't too exciting. How about you, what does a vampire with almost anything she could want spend her time doing?"
 
"Would you believe volunteering with at risk kids? And when I am not spending time trying to do even a fraction of what I did for Vincent I spend my time going to art exhibits or going to antique sales. Occasionally I let Misha and Sasha drag me out for a night on the town. In my old age you could say I've become a bit of a recluse. Well as much of one as I can manage with a dog the size of a small pony."

Putting it all into worlds actually made her realize just how much she had withdrawn from the world in the last few decades, "I used to be a bit more excitable. More outgoing. I guess when you don't really have anyone to share it with who isn't just a friend the nightlife can get boring."

Amber looked at him with a faint smile, "That must sound really sad to you. Here I am with pretty much the ability to live forever as long as things go well and I'm hiding from the world. A world that knows my kind exists and with the exception of some very narrow minded pricks, really doesn't give s fuck."
 
Roderick listened, there were a few odd parallels between the two of them. Neither seemed terribly involved with themselves, but also spent much of their time more or less alone. He smiled a little sardonically.

"It doesn't sound sad at all Amber. You do good work, and your heart is definitely in the right place. Your life is hardly sad, maybe a little solitary, but I completely understand the impulse to shun others."

The two had unconsciously drifted just a little closer together. It wasn't much, and Roderick wasn't aware of her slightly closer proximity at all.

"It sounds like you've done a lot of good, and are trying to do more. The world could definitely use more people like you."
 
"In some ways, in others? Not so much." Somehow they had managed to end up closer together again upon the couch. Amber didn't see a reason to move though. It wasn't as if either of them was actually attempting to do something. "Its not so much shunning them. Its more like pushing people away before I can get too attached." Even Roman had been surprised when she had taken Vincent in. The older vamp had shrugged it off though when he had seen how happy the boy had made her.

Picking up the remote Amber handed it to Roderick just as the doorbell rang. Slipping from the couch she fairly glided to the front door and paid for their food. Closing the door behind her Amber detoured to the kitchen to grab plates and a couple forks before returning to the den. "Lunch is served," she winked at him while pulling everything from the bag as well as two pairs of chopsticks.

"Feel free to find something for us to watch."
 
The way Amber moved was less like a walk and more like a glide. It was interesting to watch, just the subtle way her hips moved without seeming to be jarring at all. The image of those hips moving in a completely different setting and without clothes jumped into his mind.

Fortunately they food was here, so they'd have some more distractions. Roderick took one of the boxes of food and a pair of chopsticks. The food was good, and after the first bite Roderick realized just how hungry he was. He resisted the urge to simply scarf down as much as he could, but he did eat at a steady pace.

When he started flipping channels, he wanted to find something that was easy watching. So he bypassed all the news stations very quickly. Eventually he found a sitcom in syndication, it was actually a pretty amusing one about a vampire and a human roommate. Sure it wasn't groundbreaking or anything, but the writing and acting were both good, and there was nothing offensive in it.

"Hope you don't mind."

His eyes shifted towards Ambers, trying not to dwell too much on her angular but beautiful features. Or the fact that they were sitting closer together again, eating food on her couch. Hell, this was the closest thing to a date Roderick had had in years.
 
"Its better than some of the crap they call tv lately. One more reality show and I think I may greet the dawn minus my sunblock." Amber dug out the plastic spoon they has sent along and dug into her soup first as she sat back. By the time Roderick was halfway down with his food she had finished her soup and had started in on her chicken.

This was nice, almost too nice really. Good food, good company. It was a borderline date really. Shifting on the couch Amber let out a soft moan as she ate. The food was just too good not to appreciate fully. "You know I could afford to eat from there everyday of the week, but that would just be lazy." Every so often Amber would sip her blood until it and the food were done. The pair of them lounging on the couch got sucked into the sitcom.

"I know that its tv and all, but do they really have to ham it up so much? I mean who's going to mistake a bottle of blood for beer?" Amber was trying not to laugh though as she said it as the human roommate was currently switching back and forth from gargling mouth wash and brushing his tongue. "I can agree with the taste of the bottled stuff though. Its not like blood tastes any different though compared to when I was human. Still coppery and thick. The only difference is that I can now really pick out the subtle differences between say one person or another just on what makes up their diet."
 
Roderick chuckled just a little.

"I'd image it's an easy mistake to make, depending on the type of beer and just how drunk or distracted you might be already. Though I'll just have to take your word on the taste. I've only ever tasted my own."

Amber was right about the food though, it was definitely some of the most satisfying he'd had in a while. The taste was perfect, and it wasn't too filling so he could keep eating. He found himself wondering just how long it had been since he'd eaten anything remotely this good. His normal diet seemed to consist of bagels, doughnuts, coffee and the occasional drink to help his mind dull.

"I can't speak for you, but this is the best time I've had in a while. Thanks for not tossing me out on my ass."
 
"Well one that would have been very rude and two we do have to see each other later tonight and act as if we are friends. Not to mention we are trying to find a killer and tossing you on your ass while fun, would get us nowhere." Not to mention Amber couldn't really see herself being that mean to someone who had as of yet done nothing to her.

"And never tasted your own huh? You mean no suspect or criminal has ever gotten the drop on you with a good punch? No friendly horseplay with friends that has left you with a cut lip? My my detective you lead about as boring a life as I do." She slowly got up to throw the empty boxes away and came back with some extra napkins.

"So there's no girlfriend or boyfriend int he picture who's going to get worried about all of this?"
 
Roderick chuckled softly.

"Nope, no girlfriend and I'm not into guys. The job takes a toll, and I'm kind of a loner anyway. I guess it just never struck me as being a big priority or anything. Of course after a few weeks of lonely nights you start to view things differently."

He realized he was rambling and blushed just a little.

"I suppose the unexciting has its appeal, when you've seen enough of what fast and loose gets you, the slow and dependable looks better and better."

With a thank you he took one of the napkins and wiped his hands, mouth, and the immediate area on the coffee table.
 
"I suppose you are right. I've known some former cops, they've all said the same thing that before the turn they didn't have time for romance or the work led to the downfall of their relationship."

She ate her last piece of chicken and licked the tips of her chopsticks. Setting them down Amber sat back with a content sigh. "Slow and steady can be good sometimes. Other times a good fast pace, heart pumping blood racing day can be a good thing too." Picking up the last egg roll Amber broke it in half, eating the first half within a couple bites plain. The second half she dipped in spicy mustard and then took her time enjoying with only the smallest of coughs. Looking at the clock she saw they still had some time to kill before it was makeover time.
 
For whatever reason Roderick found the way Amber ate the last egg roll very appealing. She wasn't trying to be erotic or anything, there was nothing overtly sexual at all, still his mind conjured images. It really wasn't healthy.

"Well, what do you do to get a good blood pumping day going? Personally I seem to wind up getting those on the job and don't have to seek them out. But I'm curious about you, what do you do when you feel the occasional urge for excitement?"
 
"Base jumping." She waited til he gave her a look and amber waved her hand. "I go dancing here and there. I'm a bit of a pool shark and that can be exciting. Being the living dead doesn't really enhance my own naturally ability. I do also have one guilty pleasure." Amber reach for the nearest photo album, and flipped through several pages before passing it over.

The first was of her standing next to a Ferrari 599 in the evening light. The next was of her washing down a Victory Hammer S. The last on the page was of her and Vincent standing in motorcycle leathers in front of a pair of Suzuki Hayabusas Amber sighed softly looking at that last one. "We used to make time to go riding, or for Vincent to goad me into a race. Not that it really takes all that much. But when I have the need to go shake things up I usually just pick one of my babies and go tearing around the roads."
 
The funny thing was that, despite her reclusive nature, Roderick didn't have any problem at all envisioning Amber base jumping. Of course her racing made more sense. He whistled at some of the pictures, the cars were nice. More he was whistling at Amber. It looked like she couldn't take a bad picture if she tried.

"Sounds like fun. I'm lucky if I can get my car to push the speed limit. But what else could you expect from my salary?"

His grin was a little sardonic.

"You look happy there, I hope you can be happy again. I know loss like this will tear you up for a while, but I hope you can feel like that in the future."
 
"I know I will be. Unfortunately when you're a vampire you don't have much choice. The only other option is complete seclusion and eventually madness." Amber slowly closed the album. "He's not the first and unfortunately won't be the last. Loss is very much a normal part of this life." She took a deep breath and set the album aside. When she looked back at him Amber had pushed aside her pain.

"And if your car isn't up to snuff then I am just going to have to take you for a spin. That is of course if you think you can keep up with me." Amber gave him a sly smile. Any other time that offer might have been laced with innuendo. While she wasn't big on the relationship aspect of things, Amber would very rarely shy away from sex. Truth was Roderick even now would be very hard to turn away.
 
Roderick actually blushed a little at her mention of taking him for a spin. For some reason her presence was really messing with his head. Unbidden the image of her on top of him, both naked, her taking him for the proffered spin.

"I'd love to. It's been a long time since I got a good ride."

Oh God, that was a freudian slip if ever there was one. It took some concentration to not blush deeper and begin stammering an apology. Sure there was some innuendo there, but at the same time it was a perfectly innocent statement. it had been ages since he'd been in a fast car.

"I'm not sure if I could keep up or not, but the only way to be sure would be to try."
 
"I'd love to. It's been a long time since I got a good ride."

Amber almost told him that it was such a shame that it had been so long. She bit her tongue though. Of course the next thing he said made her hungry and not for blood or food.

"Well then Detective I think we should go for a test drive now before we have to make you over into a brand new man. Or rather a former street kid." She smiled at him, "I promise I won't go too fast though. Can't have you puking in my Ferrari."
 
Back
Top