I believe you,

I come from people who had gun fights amongst themselves on the main street of the state capital. My mother was known to pull a gun on men who whistled at her. So the trifles that occur here are a lot about nuthin.
 
Well, I know it was really hard for me to see. My family fights and bickers all the time. Everyday devolves into some kind of shouting match, laced with profanity and scathing personal comments. I come here partially to escape from all that, and to enjoy the company of all the awesome people here. I am free to be myself and don't have to be afraid of sharing me with you. That's the trust that I had.

Obviously recent events has damaged that trust. I don't want to come on here and see my friends being hurtful to each other. There really was no need for it, there has never been a need for it. All it takes is for someone to stop and say "hey, I'm going to be the bigger person here and let it go." Why is it so hard for some of us to do that?

Anyway, seeing people treat each other the way my family treats each other had a huge impact on me. I just wanted to run screaming. I ran the full range of emotion from sadness, betrayal and disappointment to disgust, anger and rage. I cried yesterday, and wanted to smash everything in sight this morning. But, after chilling out, I realized that that would not solve things either. Running doesn't solve anything. Holding onto negative feelings doesn't solve anything. As I told EL, the only way to fight negative energy is with positive energy, and the more positive energy that leaves, the more Negative energy builds up.

I consider myself to be a positive person. I don't know if I'm always successful, but my greatest desire is to make people smile. I value my kindness and good cheer in the highest regard, and so a lot of the comments that were made really cut me deep. I admit I can be really naive and gullible, but I'd take that over the alternative.

So yeah, I can understand why people would want to leave.

I can see how if the accepting escape becomes the same as RL then one would have little reason to stay. Just seems to me that recent events would be the final push, not the only reason. I'm still a newbie to some, but I've been here long enough to see things being questioned and spats come and go.

Maybe part of the reason the recent issue hit a particular nerve was that good and well liked people were on both sides of the issue. That can make it even more uncomfortable. Especially when the issue is "can we openly question the veracity of an AH member."

The truth about the man/woman behind the AV has been questioned publicly before with no ill effect on the community as a whole that I've seen. But I don't recall an AH member's claims to be ill having been questioned in my time here, even gently (as the thread started). So to me that was the divisive, and to some threatening, issue. Not that a couple of people got testy and snarky - that happens all the time.

I'm glad you and others decided to stick around.
 
*sigh*

First, thank you to those who seem to remember it's permissible to have an opinion in the AH even though everyone may not share it.

To those who still wish to attack me? I don't hear you, you're irrelevant, you're filled with hate, please leave me alone. I am deleting or reporting the PMs.

But to everyone else, why is it so difficult to understand that a few of us may need to get away from here for awhile? And why is THAT fodder for complaining?

For heaven's sake.

Some people are saying can't we just let this thing die (while still getting in a last few snarky comments among the threads) while others still want to bitch about how evil we were for bringing up our skepticism in the first place.

Honestly, would you want to hang around here?

Lit has always been escape for me. But now I need to escape Lit for awhile.

Who knows? Maybe I'll accomplish more in the way of writing.

:rose:
 
*sigh*

First, thank you to those who seem to remember it's permissible to have an opinion in the AH even though everyone may not share it.

To those who still wish to attack me? I don't hear you, you're irrelevant, you're filled with hate, please leave me alone. I am deleting or reporting the PMs.

But to everyone else, why is it so difficult to understand that a few of us may need to get away from here for awhile? And why is THAT fodder for complaining?

For heaven's sake.

Some people are saying can't we just let this thing die (while still getting in a last few snarky comments among the threads) while others still want to bitch about how evil we were for bringing up our skepticism in the first place.

Honestly, would you want to hang around here?

Lit has always been escape for me. But now I need to escape Lit for awhile.

Who knows? Maybe I'll accomplish more in the way of writing.

:rose:

Oboy, if this refers to my post I was simply responding to Trom and making an observation from my perspective on what the underlying issue was. Upon rereading my post I could see how it could be taken the wrong way. By divisive I meant no blame or intent, simply an issue that people strongly differed on. I'm certainly okay with differences of opinion, as I really think most of us are. And I'm most happy to move on. I was not snarking and apologize if it came across that way.
 
Oboy, if this refers to my post I was simply responding to Trom and making an observation from my perspective on what the underlying issue was. Upon rereading my post I could see how it could be taken the wrong way. By divisive I meant no blame or intent, simply an issue that people strongly differed on. I'm certainly okay with differences of opinion, as I really think most of us are. And I'm most happy to move on. I was not snarking and apologize if it came across that way.

Actually, jomar, the only part that did apply to you was your questioning why people wanted to leave for awhile.

(Others have been snarky.) ;)

No worries, please. :rose:
 
I really feel like flooding the board with dozens of frivolous threads just to drop a few of these off the front page. I wish I could think of some right now. *sigh*
 
Please, will everybody just drop it?

The wounds will never heal if we keep picking at them. :(
 
Skepticism and faith are two natural facets of the human psyche, and neither necessarily reflect on the thing being believed or doubted. Billions of people believe in one of the various gods on offer, not because there's proof, but because they have faith. Meanwhile, people will doubt that the earth is round, that the sun is the center of the universe, and that the holocaust happened, in the face of heaps of proof.

Maybe my electrolytes are out of whack today, but jaded misanthrope that I am, I actually thought the folks on both sides of the issue were acting out of noble impulses: some, to offer concern and compassion to a sick friend, the others worrying their friends were possibly being manipulated.
 
*But to everyone else, why is it so difficult to understand that a few of us may need to get away from here for awhile? And why is THAT fodder for complaining?
Because I'll miss having you around, dummy. :kiss:
 
I can see how if the accepting escape becomes the same as RL then one would have little reason to stay. Just seems to me that recent events would be the final push, not the only reason. I'm still a newbie to some, but I've been here long enough to see things being questioned and spats come and go.

Maybe part of the reason the recent issue hit a particular nerve was that good and well liked people were on both sides of the issue. That can make it even more uncomfortable. Especially when the issue is "can we openly question the veracity of an AH member."

The truth about the man/woman behind the AV has been questioned publicly before with no ill effect on the community as a whole that I've seen. But I don't recall an AH member's claims to be ill having been questioned in my time here, even gently (as the thread started). So to me that was the divisive, and to some threatening, issue. Not that a couple of people got testy and snarky - that happens all the time.

I'm glad you and others decided to stick around.

I agree completely, on all the above points. :)
 
I really feel like flooding the board with dozens of frivolous threads just to drop a few of these off the front page. I wish I could think of some right now. *sigh*

You could do a topic on favorite ice creams! Or Pies! or fruits even! Or I'm out of ideas? ;)
 
I wouldn't mind a Transformers thread myself! *wide puppy dog eyes*

I took that damn quiz and ended up being EVIL! And I'm NOT!

*sniff sniff*

At least most of the time I'm good. I'm only bad when.... urhem! Right then!
 
Skepticism and faith are two natural facets of the human psyche, and neither necessarily reflect on the thing being believed or doubted. Billions of people believe in one of the various gods on offer, not because there's proof, but because they have faith. Meanwhile, people will doubt that the earth is round, that the sun is the center of the universe, and that the holocaust happened, in the face of heaps of proof.

Maybe my electrolytes are out of whack today, but jaded misanthrope that I am, I actually thought the folks on both sides of the issue were acting out of noble impulses: some, to offer concern and compassion to a sick friend, the others worrying their friends were possibly being manipulated.

I think this is the wisest post I've seen on this particular subject. Thank you. :rose:
 
Back
Top