seduction as dishonesty

*yawn*

You use what you got.

Is it dishonest of me to take the cute marketing chick to a more expensive restaurant than she's used to going on a first date -- just because her other suitors can't afford it but I can?

There's no even playing ground here.
 
In good faith, one expects a certain amount of it - it's no different than a guy driving a sports car and flashing his money when he just want's to bump and grind then split, and has no sincere intention of keeping you in the style to which you've become accustomed, caveat emptor. So yeah, women use sex appeal the same way guys use money, it's only dishonest when you make promises you have no intention of honoring, an innocent tease doesn't really count.

This is the general consensus among civilized peoples, as far as I can tell, post sexual revolution - it isn't the historical consensus however, and the "she asked for it" rape defense is still trotted out on occasion.
 
All seduction is essentially lying, isn't it? You're promising things you don't know you can deliver.

*blink* Speak for yourself, Doc. Maybe you're lying when you're trying to seduce somebody, but I'm not. Brutal honesty is my usual modus operandi, and it doesn't really change much when I'm trying to form a relationship with somebody. When people get me, they generally know what it is that they're getting. Sometimes they think I have hidden treasures that I hadn't flaunted, but nobody ever thinks I've pretended to be anything I'm not.


That's part of the thrill of seduction and new love. It's fear.

Again, perhaps this is true for you. For me, the thrill of new love is discovery. A new person is a new world, and exploring a new world is a heady experience. The possibility that the new world has poisonous snakes or carnivorous plants isn't part of the thrill; it's just a thing to put up with for the joy of discovery.
 
*blink* Speak for yourself, Doc. Maybe you're lying when you're trying to seduce somebody, but I'm not. Brutal honesty is my usual modus operandi, and it doesn't really change much when I'm trying to form a relationship with somebody. When people get me, they generally know what it is that they're getting. Sometimes they think I have hidden treasures that I hadn't flaunted, but nobody ever thinks I've pretended to be anything I'm not.

Again, perhaps this is true for you. For me, the thrill of new love is discovery. A new person is a new world, and exploring a new world is a heady experience. The possibility that the new world has poisonous snakes or carnivorous plants isn't part of the thrill; it's just a thing to put up with for the joy of discovery.

Damn! Sign MY ass up, Capt. Columbus!
 
*yawn*

You use what you got.

Is it dishonest of me to take the cute marketing chick to a more expensive restaurant than she's used to going on a first date -- just because her other suitors can't afford it but I can?

There's no even playing ground here.
That's not dishonest at all.
 
Back
Top