Slave to the emperor

Althea took his face in her hands. "Listen. This is why I love you. Why I care so much about you. I have seen children starve on the streets because the lords can't spare some bread. I tried to help them but I was barely able to buy one child a loaf. A child was whipped for taking food from a man who would have thrown it away. You are changing that."

“I appreciate and yes the great Samuel is trying to change everything but there are those not interested in those ideals.” He replied mocking his own title.

She stood taking his hands. "I would die before I see that happen again. That is why I want you to be careful. I love you and these people need you a live. If not... You're brother will get power and I have seen what happens when our rulers are corrupted. Samuel promise me that you will be careful."

“If I do nothing he will have power. This is about him making a claim on the throne. He is elder and is backed by the powerful lords. I have no choice but to fight and kill my enemies or be killed.” He replied looking into her eyes.

She looked straight up at him not blinking. "Please."

“I will do my best but I must leave in 3 days to take the battle to them. I found the terrain I need but can’t wait any longer to meet them there. I just pray my training I am giving my troops works. I will need all gods Zeus, Apollo, and even Ares for this victory.” He stated and hugged her.

“After I promise it will be about us, I will make time even with my duties to rebuilding the empire.” He adds.
 
“I appreciate and yes the great Samuel is trying to change everything but there are those not interested in those ideals.” He replied mocking his own title.

"Samuel I'm serious. And you know I wouldn't say something I didn't mean."

“I will do my best but I must leave in 3 days to take the battle to them. I found the terrain I need but can’t wait any longer to meet them there. I just pray my training I am giving my troops works. I will need all gods Zeus, Apollo, and even Ares for this victory.” He stated and hugged her.

“After I promise it will be about us, I will make time even with my duties to rebuilding the empire.” He adds.

Althea nodded. "You're very brave," she kissed his cheek. "And if you didnt go out to fight I'd probably be mad at you so..." she smiled up at him.
 
Althea nodded. "You're very brave," she kissed his cheek. "And if you didn’t go out to fight I'd probably be mad at you so..." she smiled up at him.

“I know it is what I must do. My destiny is what I can do on the battlefield and then from there make a good history for people of this land. That is how one becomes immortal.” He states.

“Yet, I also want to make a bit of history with you. Our offspring and their offspring much less generations to come will talk about our union.” He adds sitting on the bed with her.

Eventually dinner is brought in and they partake but he lays with her wraps his arms around her.
“I am not too proud to ask for another song and even say…Please.” He said as he kissed her forehead.
 
"Of course," she said smiling at him. She sang quietly. It was a love song about a young girl and a hunter who met in the woods and married. She rested against Samuel's chest as she sang. When the song was over, she kissed his cheek. It was dark outside and chilly. She moved even closer smiling as she looked into his eyes.
 
"Of course," she said smiling at him. He smiled as he held her in his arms.

She sang quietly. It was a love song about a young girl and a hunter who met in the woods and married. She rested against Samuel's chest as she sang.
“Wow that warms my heart Althea.” He said as she kissed his cheek.

He held her even closer looking into her eyes.
“Some would call us kids or too young to know about love…but I tell you Althea…you and I were meant to be. If the gods had anything to do with this destiny then they smiled upon me the moment I met you.” He said as he kissed her lips.

“You will be a queen and we will have many children. In part because I won’t be able to keep my hands off of you once we are properly married.” He added laughing.

"You are as pretty as you are talented. That is saying something." He states.
 
She blushed smiling at him. There were so many things she wanted to do. She kissed his lips gently but still filled with passion and love. She had no experience but it just felt so right.

She pulled back wondering how he would react. She was surprised at herself. This wasn't what she would normally do but she couldn't control herself around him. She wanted him so much.

She blushed again as she stared into his eyes. Feelings were running through her that she had never felt before. She wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him close
 
She blushed smiling at him. She kissed his lips gently. She pulled back.
He smiled with a big grin,
“Well it appears someone has allowed me to grow on them since the first day she spent with me…or half day actually.” he said as his kissed her back.

She wrapped her arms around his neck pulling him close.
“Althea…I promise to make any and all your dreams come true. And I guess dreams you never knew you had. I just ask you to have faith I will return.” He adds smiling.

“As much I want you…I prefer to wait for our wedding night if that is okay for you. I…want to respect you as more than the title you were given when we first met. You shall be a queen my love.” He said kissing her.
 
She smiled up at him. He wanted to wait for her "You are one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Thank you, but I don't think you'll be the only one trying to control themselves," she laughed smiling. "But you will stay in bed with me until you go," she raised an eyebrow.

She didn't need sex but she needed to be close to him before he left. Just being next to him was enough. "How did you make me fall for you so fast? I went from hating you to being in love with you in less than a day." she smiled at him.
 
She smiled up at him. He wanted to wait for her "You are one of the sweetest people I have ever met. Thank you, but I don't think you'll be the only one trying to control themselves," she laughed smiling. "But you will stay in bed with me until you go," she raised an eyebrow.

“Oh course…it is a part of our odd courtship before I leave in a couple of days.” He said laughing.

“Besides I have to make sure you don’t get up and start dancing before you are fully healed.” He added and kissed her nose.

"How did you make me fall for you so fast? I went from hating you to being in love with you in less than a day." she smiled at him.

“I am a god…remember? I have extraordinary powers including those of seduction like the lesser gods, Zeus, Apollo, and Poseidon. Consider yourself lucky mortal woman I have selected you.” He said laughing.
 
Althea slapped his arm laughing. She smiled happily and kissed his cheek. He was a strong warrior, and she knew that he would make it through this battle. She laid down next to him. "I love you," she said touching his arm.

Finally she yawned and closed her eyes after they had talked for a few hours. She curled up next to him and fell asleep.
 
Althea slapped his arm laughing. She smiled happily and kissed his cheek.
"I love you," she said touching his arm.

“And I love you. Your spirit is what drives me. I wish to breath in the air that we alone share with our love.” he replied smiling.

He kissed her a few more times and then wrapped his arms around her and both went to sleep.

Samuel was thankful for the those moments. He spent as much time as he could with Althea but the next few days went quickly. The night before he was leaving in the morning he felt very somber.

“I want you to promise to leave the castle. Shall I lose, they will come here and take revenge on anyone that is identified as loyal to me. I can’t bare for you to be tortured and killed.” he tells her as he holds her.
 
“I want you to promise to leave the castle. Shall I lose, they will come here and take revenge on anyone that is identified as loyal to me. I can’t bare for you to be tortured and killed.” he tells her as he holds her.

"I'll leave but you are going to come back here alive. You are going to be fine," she kissed his lips. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine; I've spent a long time on the streets without anyone to take care of me. I can take of myself. Just focus on the battle, alright? I'll miss you though," she rubbed his back gently. "Now get some sleep. You've got a long journey ahead."
 
"I'll leave but you are going to come back here alive. You are going to be fine," she kissed his lips. "Don't worry about me. I'll be fine; I've spent a long time on the streets without anyone to take care of me. I can take of myself. Just focus on the battle, alright? I'll miss you though," she rubbed his back gently. "Now get some sleep. You've got a long journey ahead."

He kissed her and laid back and went to sleep as he held her in his arms.

As morning came he kissed her lips once he was awake. He then got up and dressed for battle. He had breakfast brought to their room. After he took her hand and led her down to the stables.
“I love you Althea and want you as my wife and mother of my children. I don’t want you to forget that whether I return or not. My love will never die.” he said kissing her before getting on his horse.

He led his men as they were joined with others. Although they picked the battle spot, they were heavily outnumbered. They battled for 3 days until most of Samuel’s troops fled. His brother’s army broke through as Samuel retreated to rally his armies. His brother’s army quickly marched on the palace Samuel just had occupied. They asked for any of Samuel’s followers to be brought to them. They spread propoganda that Samuel was killed.
 
"Sir, we still havent killed him," one of Henry's men said. Henry stood furious. He was Samuels brother and knew, although people believed him dead, he would never have total power until he was truly dead and buried. "We need something to bring him here. Is there anyone he's close to, someone he'd come home to protect?"

One of the servants stepped forward. "Sir, my family was imprisoned by you. If I tell you a name, will you let them go?"

"Certainly," he said sitting back on his brothers throne.

"Her name is Althea. She is his slave, but I think she means more to him than that. I overheard them talking. He mentioned making her his queen."

"Excellent," Henry stepped forward drawing his sword and swiftly slit his throat. Then he turned to his men. "Find the girl."

*******************************************************************

Althea sat singing to some children who were still very poor. She was smiling watching them eat some bread. Once Samuel returned, they would all have a home. "Althea!"

She turned and saw her old friend who lent her books running towards her. "Alitho! How are you?"

"He's dead... Samuel is dead. We need to get you out of here now." Her heart stopped tears running down her cheeks. "No he can't be..."

"I'm sorry but we have to go now. His brother is looking for you. His men asked me if I knew where you were."

Althea nodded. "Children, I have to go." she ran with him but soldiers were everywhere. One recognized her. "There she is!"

Alitho stepped in front of her. "No, they'll kill you and get me anyways." She stepped forward and let the men grab her. They dragged her through the streets and into the palace. The doors opened and they threw her in front of Henry.

"Hello little one," she turned her face away as he approached. "Go tell Samuel who we have. I think he'll come very quickly."

"He's alive?" she asked. There was still a chance. She just hoped that he's stay away from here and not come for her.

"For now... And then, you can be my queen. What do you think of that?"

"I'd die first. You can go to hell for all I care."

Suddenly his fist connected with her face making her fall to the ground. Then he tore off her clothing laughing. He pulled out a whip and had the guards hold her. Her screams echoed through the room. Blood ran down her back and chest. Seeing how weak she was, Henry chained her to the throne. Her hands and wrists were shackled together and a collar was around her neck. "You better hope he comes soon."
 
Last edited:
Samuel was gathering his troops and found two of his primary military leaders to be traitors. He quickly put them to death with his own sword.
“I don’t care what my brother promised or the gold promised by the lords…you are here with me or you are my enemy. There is no in between or forgiveness. A lot of lives were lost because of the treachery of two men I trusted. Now the bodies that lay on that field will not be going home to their families. That is not acceptable.” Samuel yells at his troops.

He takes a deep breath.
“We shall engage the enemy again and won’t fail. We can’t fail.” He adds as the men roar.

A courier comes and delivers him the message that the city has fallen and Althea has been captured. His heart sunk.
“Stay the course…I want archers with flaming arrows as we planned then the infantry to go into the box and one attack. Once you see our forces winning then rear Calvary assault. I shall surrender to my brother and distract him and his leaders close to him.” He states and waves off everyone that tells him not to.

Samuel rides hard until he reaches the front gates. He steps off his horse laying down his sword and daggers then his bow and arrows.
“I am here to see Prince Solomon, my brother. Tell him King Samuel has arrived.” He announced as the men cautiously approached him.

He walked with the 8 armed men to see Solomon and his chief general Henry.
“Solomon and the War Monger General Henry. I should have suspected you were here pulling my brother’s puppet strings.” Samuel said and then saw Althea.

“Release her and I will give you mercy when I kill you both.” He said with rage.

‘Brother you are in no position to demand…and it is King Solomon now...as it should have been. King Solomon the wise.’ His brother stated.

‘Guards keep a close eye on him…he is dangerous with or without a weapon. I know he killed an armed General Caddius. My friend.’ General Henry says with tone.

Henry pulls out the whip and Samuel laughs at him. He gives Samuel 10 lashings as Samuel only laughs after each one and talks to Zeus to forgive these mortals for their lives shall end soon each time.

“Kill him with that whip or your blade Henry.” Solomon demands of Henry.

Just as he spoke an arrow flies into the chest of one of the men holding Samuel. It was his royal guard, Jonathon. Samuel grabs another man and breaks his neck with one move then takes the both men’s swords and with two moves kills two more guards. He throws one of swords into the throat of Henry killing him instantly as Samuel then battles the four remaining guards and kills each one at a time as his brother flees.

-----------
Samuel’s armies surprise attack the greater numbers of Solomon’s. They rain down fire arrows then the column of 8 across and infinite number of rows hold their shields as one collective unit in front and on top and on the sides so no arrows can harm their formation. They go forward with lances from the first three rows of men and kill even more of the unprepared troops. The calvary division attacks from the rear killing the generals trying to get the troops in order as well as retreating soldiers. The battle was over in les than 20 minutes this time.
-------
Samuel first checke don Althea before going after his brother.
"Are you okay my love?" He asked.
 
Althea felt weak. Every day she was whipped and beaten. She was not allowed a bath to even wash the blood off. And every day they chained her to the throne like a dog rather than a person.

She lay asleep beside the throne. The floor beneath her was stained with blood. She slowly opened her eyes as she heard the door open. "Samuel." He shouldn't have come. They were going to kill him.

“Release her and I will give you mercy when I kill you both.” He said with rage.

‘Brother you are in no position to demand…and it is King Solomon now...as it should have been. King Solomon the wise.’ His brother stated.

‘Guards keep a close eye on him…he is dangerous with or without a weapon. I know he killed an armed General Caddius. My friend.’ General Henry says with tone.

Henry pulls out the whip and Samuel laughs at him. He gives Samuel 10 lashings as Samuel only laughs after each one and talks to Zeus to forgive these mortals for their lives shall end soon each time.

Tears ran down her cheeks as she watched helplessly. She struggled with her chains wanting to stop it. She could barely speak. She knew the pain they were inflicting on him.

“Kill him with that whip or your blade Henry.” Solomon demands of Henry.

"No," she cried only to have him whip her. Then she saw an arrow hit a guard. He wasn't alone. She smiled to herself as he quickly defeated them. She closed her eyes not wanting to see the gore of the battle.

Samuel first checke don Althea before going after his brother.
"Are you okay my love?" He asked.

"Its fine, just a scratch," she smiled at him weakly. "I'll be fine now that you're here. They told everyone you were dead." tears ran down her bruised cheek. She would've hugged him if it weren't for the chains. "You're safe. That's what matters."
 
"Its fine, just a scratch," she smiled at him weakly. "I'll be fine now that you're here. They told everyone you were dead." tears ran down her bruised cheek. "You're safe. That's what matters."

“No you are now safe that is what matters.” he said and kissed her forehead. He motioned Jonathan in.

“Release her my friend and get the doctor quickly. I want her in my quarters resting and healing.” He said and put his arm on Jonathan’s shoulder as kneeled to his king.

‘It shall be done my lord.’ He replied to Samuel.

“You are a good soldier and better friend Jonathan. Around you shall I build my secret guard. But for now I must capture Solomon.” Samuel stated and hurried out as he grabbed his sword, daggers and bow and arrow.

Jonathan released her chains and carried her to the royal quarters then summoned for the doctor as instructed.

Samuel rode hard as he was told of the fleeing traitor being his brother. He caught up to him by sundown and made quick work of his four soldiers before beheading his brother. Samuel then sent his brother’s head in a box to the 8 lords that stood against him. He had in the box a note.

“For those that stand against Samuel…this shall follow. No one including his own brother shall receive mercy. Awaiting your response for war or peace.”

Samuel rode back and walked to his quarters as he kneeled at the bed as he got to Althea.
"Hey..how are you doing my love?" He asked with a uplifting smile.
 
"Ive had better days," she smiled. The doctor had washed all of the blood off of her but there were still scars from the whippings. "How are you feeling?" She sat up but had to lie back down due to the pain. "I'm feeling a lot better now that you're here with me."

Then she remembered something. "Samuel, I have a friend in the city who tried to stop the soldiers from taking me. I stopped him before he did anything that would get him killed, but can you check if he's alright? His name is Alitho."
 
"Ive had better days," she smiled. "How are you feeling?" She sat up but had to lie back down. "I'm feeling a lot better now that you're here with me."

“I am good my love. This is just another day from my warrior days unfortunately. Except I had to kill my brother. Otherwise for me it was not all that bad.” He replied.

“You are what worries me…I don’t like you being in harm’s way much less being tortured. you must rest this time.” he added.

He kissed her forehead as he covered her up.

"Samuel, I have a friend in the city who tried to stop the soldiers from taking me. I stopped him before he did anything that would get him killed, but can you check if he's alright? His name is Alitho."

Samuel nodded at her and motioned for Jonathan. He whispered in his ear to find Alitho and bring him to see Althea.
 
“I am good my love. This is just another day from my warrior days unfortunately. Except I had to kill my brother. Otherwise for me it was not all that bad.” He replied.

“You are what worries me…I don’t like you being in harm’s way much less being tortured. you must rest this time.” he added.

He kissed her forehead as he covered her up.

"I don't think I'm going to complain about resting this time," she smiled. "I'm glad that you got here so fast," she said a tear coming to her eye. She closed her eyes as he pulled the covers over her. "I love you so much." she said before she fell asleep
 
"I don't think I'm going to complain about resting this time," she smiled. "I'm glad that you got here so fast," she said a tear coming to her eye. She closed her eyes as he pulled the covers over her. "I love you so much." she said before she fell asleep

“As soon as word reached me I left and came as fast as my horse could go. I already had the battle plan after locating two traitors that were high ranking officers in my military. They sabotaged our 3 day battle.” he said pausing a second.

“I love you as well Althea…just pains me to think of all the unnecessary lives lost in this conflict.” he added and tucked her in then crawled into bed beside her with his arms around her.
 
When he told her about the battle a tear formed. She hated that so many lives were lost, their family's pain, and all because of two men. She curled up in his arms feeling safe again. She was glad not to be sleeping in her own blood chained up anymore.

His arms around her allowed her to relax. The fear leaving her. The knowledge that Samuel too was no longer in danger helped. That moment where she thought he would die... She fell into a dreamless sleep
 
Back
Top