He wrapped his arms around her and slept quite well and peacefully. He tended to her daily while she was healing. He was hesitant to leave as his message to the lords was met with a rejection. He couldn’t travel to his homeland just yet. He knew they were constructing another army…even negotiating with the barbarians of the far east.
Samuel was content though as Althea continued to gain strength and heal quickly. He kissed her as she woke up one morning.
“I had wanted to marry you in the castle of my ancestors. I don’t know how long it will be till we can return or if that castle even stands. There is a civil war the lords are waging against my soldiers and the people we are trying to protect.” he states somberly. He pauses.
He then drops to one knee.
“I wish to marry you here. I wish would like it to be tomorrow. So..will you do me the honor of becoming my wife and queen as well as mother of my children?” he asks somberly.
When Althea found out that the lords rejected his message she hugged him close. "We'll get through this together. And you, my king, are going to win this war." she kissed his lips smiling at him. However, she wished they could return to his homeland, because she could see how much he missed it.
Alitho came to visit her too. His family was safe and happy. However, he was upset saying he should've done something to stop them, but she reassured him that she was going to be fine, and she was glad he didn't try to do anything. She did not want a friend to die for her sake. He brought her many books to read and wrote to her as often as he could.
And Samuel was there everyday with her, talking and making it easier to stay in bed. And then, one day, she woke to a kiss. She had gotten much stronger and most of her wounds had healed.
“I had wanted to marry you in the castle of my ancestors. I don’t know how long it will be till we can return or if that castle even stands. There is a civil war the lords are waging against my soldiers and the people we are trying to protect.”
She sat up - luckily the pain was gone - and watched as he got down on one knee.
“I wish to marry you here. I wish would like it to be tomorrow. So..will you do me the honor of becoming my wife and queen as well as mother of my children?”
She smiled broadly and hugged him. "Of course I will. I would love to be your wife and queen." She kissed his cheek. "Did I ever tell you how much I love you?"
"We'll get through this together. And you, my king, are going to win this war." she kissed his lips smiling at him.
“I am saddened that there will be more bloodshed and that of the common innocent man than those with the main conflict. I would fight all eight of them with a single dagger as they would have their swords if they would agree to it. No they don’t have the courage or integrity.” He said kissing her.
“Thank my love.” He added and smiled.
Samuel was quite pleased with how Alitho was such of a good friend to his love. He asked him to be a part of one of the programs to feed or build houses for the people. He was setting up farming and water supply programs along with a market place to provide other foods such as fish and wild animal equally to the families in the surrounding area.
He had woken her with a sweet kiss on morning as she was nearly fully healed.
She sat up - luckily the pain was gone - and watched as he got down on one knee.
After his wedding proposal he looked at her for an answer.
She smiled broadly and hugged him. "Of course I will. I would love to be your wife and queen." She kissed his cheek. "Did I ever tell you how much I love you?"
“Tomorrow my love will be when we can tell the entire crowd of people in your homeland how much we love each other. For today, you shall be fitted for a proper wedding dress. I shall make arrangements for a feast and great party as this palace has never seen before.” He said kissing her. He got up and sat on the bed.
"We have a very busy day...but I would ask for you to sing a song before we go off to our labors." He asked as he pulled her onto his lap with his arms around her.
“Tomorrow my love will be when we can tell the entire crowd of people in your homeland how much we love each other. For today, you shall be fitted for a proper wedding dress. I shall make arrangements for a feast and great party as this palace has never seen before.” He said kissing her. He got up and sat on the bed.
"We have a very busy day...but I would ask for you to sing a song before we go off to our labors." He asked as he pulled her onto his lap with his arms around her.
She blushed and kissed his cheek. She was happy being with him, and even happier to marry him. She sat on his lap and sang a song that she had written for him. It was about his bravery, her love, and everything they had gone through together. She held him close the entire time she sang, a smile on her lips.
He kissed her after she was done singing.
“I love you Althea.” He said as he they got up and he went to get fitted for his wedding outfit.
He went over the feast and demanded all throughout the kingdom shall be invited to the palace square to eat, drink and be merry as a gift from him. He also made sure his army was on alert with the lords still under the banner of war.
It was a busy day and he was quite content to lay down and rest with all that was on his mind. He was getting reports regularly of his food, water and shelter project in the lands that were still under his control. He however ached in his heart that his own homeland wasn’t likely to be following this program. He would have to march back in and take his homeland by force.
He also missed not seeing Althea. She was to stay in a separate quarters as a wedding night tradition. So, he felt very lonely as the king.
Althea walked down between the crowd of people blushing a little. She saw Samuel standing ahead of her and continued towards him. Once she reached her love she took his hand and smiled up at him. She knew he wanted to be back in his homeland, but she would be there for him, to comfort him and help him through it. One day, he'd be able to go back there, without his brothers allies trying to kill him.
Samuel smiled as he met his soon to be bride.
“Althea…our ceremony is not till a bit later. I thought you might be getting ready.” he said smiling.
“I am happy to see you…as long as you are still wanting to marry me.” He added with a grin and kissed her.
He was working on final arrangements such as the march to the temple to do their vows. Then a parade to ride in an open carriage and wav at all the people in the streets of the city. Finally a feast large enough for all of the kingdom to enjoy with fireworks throughout the night.
“This is a bit ’showy’ but I figure you are the love of my life and demand it to be special. Many of my allies are here as well to enjoy the festivities.” He states smiling.