Solid_wave
Virgin
- Joined
- Mar 17, 2025
- Posts
- 829
Serious?It does have a good alcohol section, which are rare in general in Massachusetts. Most grocery stores can’t have alcohol.
Follow along with the video below to see how to install our site as a web app on your home screen.
Note: This feature may not be available in some browsers.
Serious?It does have a good alcohol section, which are rare in general in Massachusetts. Most grocery stores can’t have alcohol.
Yup!Serious?
Give me Market Basket any day! Good produce, with some hard to find things, lots of items from different ethnic backgrounds, and the best prices!Just for someone who loves cooking, it looks fantastic
About grocery stores not having alcohol? I don’t think it’s uncommon, actually.Never thought about that
Sounds amazingGive me Market Basket any day! Good produce, with some hard to find things, lots of items from different ethnic backgrounds, and the best prices!
Yes. Some newer supermarkets or super stores will have additional non-food or beverage items as well.Is a grocery the same as a supermarket?
Ok thanks for the explanationYes. Some newer supermarkets or super stores will have additional non-food or beverage items as well.
Wegmans is absolutely amazing! They have an enormous selection, and a really good prepared food department. There just aren’t very many of them around here (Massachusetts). It’s about a one hour drive to the nearest one.I'm watching a video on YouTube and have been introduced to a shop called Wegmans.
Muricans, is it as amazing as it looks?
Yeah. Most have beer and wine, but hard liquor has to be bought at a liquor store. New Hampshire is even more restrictive. You have to go to the State Liquor Store to buy the hard stuff there.Serious?
Oh my. That's not goodAlso they tend to travel better. Unless your delivery driver accidentally flips the box over in the bag...
I was a Wegmans devotee from 1998-2013. I tell you that to say that it's been over a decade since I shopped at Wegmans. Wegmans is headquartered in Rochester, NY. I lived in Rochester and Buffalo for the first eight of those years. During much of that time, I shopped at their flagship store in Rochester, known colloquially as "Disney Wegmans". So that may have colored my experience.I'm watching a video on YouTube and have been introduced to a shop called Wegmans.
Muricans, is it as amazing as it looks?
Yes I feel like every region has like a version of it .... Some sort of higher end grocery store with prepared stuffIt’s pretty good… I don’t quite get what all the hype is about. It’s just really a slightly fancier grocery store. It has lots of prepared food, but that’s really the only difference as far as I can see. And it’s a little more expensive than the place close by.
All in all not worth the 40-minute round trip. Aren’t you glad you asked?![]()
Marianos definitely wanted to be Wegmans. They were doing alright until they were sold to Kroger. I haven't been in one in years. Whole Foods is a more expensive version of Wegmans, without the good sushi.Ok, based on your description we have something like that. But it is Marianos and / or Whole Foods
We have alcohol *everywhere* in Chicago. Blew me away a bit when I first moved here. Wine, beer, and hard alcohol in the grocery store and convenience stores.About grocery stores not having alcohol? I don’t think it’s uncommon, actually.
I love Wegmans. Their cheese section... The fruit and veg... I get a lot more choices at that grocery store than I do at other local chains. And they have great sales, tooJust for someone who loves cooking, it looks fantastic
I'd never heard of Woodman's, so I googled. This is what AI came up with...This is pretty regional, is a Woodman’s like a Wegmans?
I'd never heard of Woodman's, so I googled. This is what AI came up with...
Woodman’s and Wegmans are both massive employee-owned supermarket chains beloved by regional shoppers, but they cater to very different priorities. Woodman’s operates as a no-frills, bulk-buying warehouse-style grocer focused on rock-bottom prices. Wegmans is an upscale, experiential grocer focused on high-quality prepared foods, specialty items, and premium customer service.
Looks like there are several west, northwest, and north of Chicago. If I'm out in the burbs, I might check one out.Ah, very different! I’ve never been inside a woodmans, except for their alcohol section which is massive, it’s like a Bonny’s inside a grocery store. They’re mostly in northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin, I think.
You live a lot closer than I do Cheeky!It’s pretty good… I don’t quite get what all the hype is about. It’s just really a slightly fancier grocery store. It has lots of prepared food, but that’s really the only difference as far as I can see. And it’s a little more expensive than the place close by.
All in all not worth the 40-minute round trip. Aren’t you glad you asked?![]()