The Great Vowel Shift

Forte

My Oxford Dictionary suggest that pronouncing it FORT or FOR-TAY are both correct usages.

Og

PS. Reminds me of the old schoolboy Latin:

Caesar adsum iam forte:
Pompey aderat.

Caesar had some jam for tea:
Pompey had a rat.

Note: It only works in the oldfashioned pronounciation of Latin, pre-1914.

From memory it was supposed to mean:

Caesar, I am here now by chance:
Pompey was here.
 
Last edited:
My Oxford Dictionary suggest that pronouncing it FORT or FOR-TAY are both correct usages.

Og

PS. Reminds me of the old schoolboy Latin:

Caesar adsum iam forte:
Pompey aderat.

Caesar had some jam for tea:
Pompey had a rat.

Note: It only works in the oldfashioned pronounciation of Latin, pre-1914.

From memory it was supposed to mean:

Caesar, I am here now by chance:
Pompey was here.

NICE :D
 
Are you making the joke of "your" welcome being improperly contracted? Or do you need to be corrected?

YOU ARE WELCOME = YOU'RE WELCOME.

I was making a "joke".

I am also in need of sternly applied correction from time to time. ;)
 
"Your" welcome.

Since you brought up the misuse of the "yours" (you're and your) how about the additional "there, their, and they're" being thrown into the mix. Incorrect usage of them bugs the crap out of me!!! :mad:
 
My Oxford Dictionary suggest that pronouncing it FORT or FOR-TAY are both correct usages.

Og

PS. Reminds me of the old schoolboy Latin:

Caesar adsum iam forte:
Pompey aderat.

Caesar had some jam for tea:
Pompey had a rat.

Note: It only works in the oldfashioned pronounciation of Latin, pre-1914.

From memory it was supposed to mean:

Caesar, I am here now by chance:
Pompey was here.

So that would be Kilroy had a rat? (Kilroy aderat)
 
I'm more concerned with the way you Brits bandy about the word "knickers."

[/threadjack]
 
Since you brought up the misuse of the "yours" (you're and your) how about the additional "there, their, and they're" being thrown into the mix. Incorrect usage of them bugs the crap out of me!!! :mad:

I KNOW!
People drive me crazy! Or too, to, two.

You should see my written journal, no shorthand, or skimping! I write properly (at least I try to).
 
Thankfully there is no incorrect pronunciation for 'Eh'.

A most adaptable word which the Brits and the Yanks have failed to embrace. It can be an interrogative (good beer, eh?) or an interjection (I just saw a great new movie, eh.) or an exclamatory (nice ass, eh!) or any other usage to which you want to put it. It all depends on the way in which it is said, with a rising, falling or neutral inflection.

As for forte, I've always thought that the ending vowel had an acute accent, so it would be pronounced for-tay. I could very well be wrong.

Iconoclast
 
My two pet hates are the common use of Michael Crawford's piss-take mispronunciation of ha~rass (emphasis on the first syllable) as harass~ (emphasis on the second syllable) and the misuse of 'transparent' instead of apparent, or visible.

The first may fit Og's intention well.

If the second doesn't, it's not that far away: poor use of the English language!
 
What about the "t" in "often"?

Well then, what about the "t" in listen? In soften?

The r in February seems to be growing vestigial as well. The h in forehead has made a comeback, however. A century ago it wasn't pronounced.
 
What about the "t" in "often"?

Well then, what about the "t" in listen? In soften?

The r in February seems to be growing vestigial as well. The h in forehead has made a comeback, however. A century ago it wasn't pronounced.
Often and soften rhyme exactly when I say them: off followed by a plosive nasal (if that's the right terminology, I don't use it often) - but what I mean is to put my tongue in the position I'd use to say a 't' (as in tea), but then instead of moving it to make the sound through my mouth, I push a burst of air through my nose, as if trying to dislodge mucous.

When I say listen, everyone fucks off to do something else, but the t is missing - perhaps if I served tea, they'd stay? :rolleyes:
 
What about the "t" in "often"?

Well then, what about the "t" in listen? In soften?

The r in February seems to be growing vestigial as well. The h in forehead has made a comeback, however. A century ago it wasn't pronounced.


I pronounce the "t" in often. There's someone with good diction who doesn't?

The "t" in "listen and "soften" and the "r" in "February"? Not so much.
 
Back
Top