The Great Vowel Shift

To me, your name reads "You - GoatPig".

The "Ye" in "Ye Olde" is a misunderstanding of the OE thorn. It should be pronounced "The Old".

It doesn't irritate me as much as misplaced apostrophes - "Pear's, Apple's" etc or "its" when "it is" is meant.

Og

I used to drive past Glady's Restaurant every weekend, while my grandfather was sick. People really don't understand apostrophes.

Plays are still written without them, right? They put down "isnt"?
 
As to the vowels. I used to grimace about them, but then I went to the Antipodes. It's their vowels that makes the accent, mostly, aside from some vocab and usage choices. That experience in New Zealand and my speaking with Inou and Maya have convinced me that there can be no correct English vowel convention. The same with Charleston English, the South Carolina Charleston. They do a glissando on their diphthongs.

English is the native tongue of many myriads all over the world, and you would be foolish to expect no regional accents. Plus, many more myriads speak it as a second language. Those speakers of the language have regularized and simplified English syntax, and they use so many accents, besides! The future of the tongue may rest with the non-native form of English.
 
I used to drive past Glady's Restaurant every weekend, while my grandfather was sick. People really don't understand apostrophes.

This is classic! Elegant in its stark simplicity!

It's either Glady's or Gladyses'ss'
 
What about the "t" in "often"?

Well then, what about the "t" in listen? In soften?

Here, in central PA, we don't pronounce them.

I think people would wonder if there is something wrong with you if you pronounced "Wednesday" as it's written.
 
Back
Top